• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#16 Jens

Jens

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:01 PM

Done, below the link to the recently founded upper norwood residents association:

http://uppernorwoodr....wordpress.com/

Edited by Jens, 09 September 2013 - 07:02 PM.

#17 stasi1

stasi1

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 07:42 PM

I have signed in favour too.

#18 JMS

JMS

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:01 PM

Happystar

Given that retail shop numbers are falling in the uk and predicated to fall further  much further I am not sure your Armageddon scenario is very likely.

#19 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:27 PM

From the Upper Norwood Resident Association web page:

"it is ALWAYS a good idea to work from the facts"

So where are the facts about this proposed development?  People have asked questions, but these are ignored.

The poster - which would have benefitted from using a spelling/grammar checker - makes some sweeping statements, but no facts are forthcoming.

And it is interesting that Ryecroft Road is singled out as of concern, but sod anyone living in Grecian Crescent - sited directly opposite the proposed main entrance - where people would park instead of driving around to the car park.

Affluent ("having a great deal of money; wealthy") is not how I would describe Crown Point.  I think even Gales estate agency might even choke trying to use that one.

I would expect a residents association to represent a balance of what local residents and businesses views are - after they have been fully informed and consulted.  This comes across as a crusade by someone who was short changed in a discount store once and has never gotten over it.  I fully expect to read next that Hugo Boss was responsible for designing the Lidl uniforms.

Based on this poster alone, I will not support the petition against this proposed development by Lidl.  However, when I have seen the planning application, I would object or raise matters if I believed any part of the development was not in the best interest of the area in general.

"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#20 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:59 PM

30vj3vc.jpg

Who thinks the author is worried about their house price (its only been mentioned twice)in this affluent suburb and beware the traffic, its going to be Extra and Major ;)

I'd support it only because it will attract street drinkers as hopefully the local alfresco drinking population in CP will be down to Crown Point quick smart.

#21 JMS

JMS

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 09:12 AM

Impact on property prices is not a material consideration to a planning application

#22 Jens

Jens

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:16 PM

Did anyone check out the recent posts on http://uppernorwoodra.wordpress.com ?

Its getting rather ridiculous. Any serious discussions are impossible on this level, I assume that's the reason why happystar  prefers to post there, as any comments which are not wanted can be simple deleted and ignored.

That's the other association which is in favour of Lidl, I must admit, also a slightly immature response though:

http://uppernorwoodr...n.wordpress.com

#23 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:28 PM

I DEMAND an IMMEDIATE petition. The disgraceful misrepresentation that CROWN point is Upper Norwood is bad for my house price. I nearly choked on my Pino Grigio when I read this. And I dropped an olive down my best Boden Chinos. MY CHILDREN will be scarred forever. CROWN POINT as UPPER NORWOOD. never never never . this is an outrage. Ir MUST be stopped. and there us a POUNDLAND and POUNDSTRTCHE in the REAL upper Norwood. My god. I an going to have an aneurism . And my children. How will they COPE. Cheap tat, from.China , sold on my highstreet. The WORLD will end.EMPIRES will fall. Or I could wait to see the plans before passing judgment. And welcome the fact that a German.owned supermarket selling decent European.produce at a reasonable prices might be opening nearby. CALM Down. Buy their bavarian smoked ham, open a bottle of Lidls decent Hungarian pilsner and relax. It's a supermarket,.opening in a shopping district, on a main arterial road, on an empty an othewise abandoned site, which provides JOBS in a recession.

#24 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 11:26 PM

I nearly choked on my Pino Grigio when I read this. And I dropped an olive down my best Boden Chinos. 

I assume your deck shoes remained unscathed, so not all is lost.  :P 

Anyway... I don't see any harm in Lidl opening there.  *shrug*

#25 LucyT

LucyT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:01 PM

Of course with such close proximity to a primary and secondary school this really is no place for a supermarket.

It would undoubtedly attract additional traffic which would endanger the safety of children and not only at school times.

I value my own and my family’s welfare and safety, that’s why I too am saying NO to Crown Point Lidl.

#26 MacGenius

MacGenius

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:06 PM

Users whose first post is in support of some hysterical nonsense and written in suspiciously similar language to said nonsense are DEFINITELY believable. 

#27 Jens

Jens

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:21 PM

This topic is becoming even hotter than the Coffee Bambino 'incident' we had a few weeks ago! (The with or without Sugar controversy which kept me awake at night.)

Hello LucyT , don't worry , if happystar's predictions are right, the whole traffic in that area will be completely gridlocked, and then the children can walk safely, even between the cars which won't be able to drive any quicker than with walking pace.

(But serious, will a already busy street become less save for pedestrians if the traffic volume increases slightly? I really doubt it.)

#28 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:54 PM

Of course with such close proximity to a primary and secondary school this really is no place for a supermarket.

It would undoubtedly attract additional traffic which would endanger the safety of children and not only at school times.

I value my own and my family’s welfare and safety, that’s why I too am saying NO to Crown Point Lidl.

Quick question. Do you not think children have another intelligence to navigate a very busy crossroad of major A roads, if so why would a potentially few more cars be any more dangerous than the constant streams of traffic that coincide with parents delivering kids on the school run?

Anyway good luck getting a decrease in house prices and  trading style not in keeping with the local ‘ affluent’ area as a relevant planning consideration.

Another quick question to the luckystars and one  trick posters- If hypothetically say Waitrose were banging on the door would you still worry for the poor innocent children?

#29 LucyT

LucyT

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:01 PM

Did anyone attend the open day staged by Lidl last week?

I tried. I arrived there at 8:15 having come straight from work to find the representatives from Lidl in their cars about to leave. The leaflet advertising the event clearly stated it was until 8:30pm and despite me and another lady who was also under the same impression explaining this to them, they insisted that it was actually until 8pm and continued to try and leave. Neither of us had the leaflet to hand but we were both sure of the time especially as I had spoken to a neighbour 30 minutes earlier who was there and confirmed it.

After insisting that they show us written confirmation e.g. leaflet, letter, email to confirm the time- which they conveniently couldn’t, we were reluctantly asked what it was which we wish to discuss - in the car park.

No information sheets were offered to us, we had to ask for a comments form to be given, which again was reluctantly given.

The fact that the representatives and I believe one was the acquisitions manager for Lidl, felt that it was OK to have packed up and be in their cars by 8:15pm of the public consultation which was clearly advertised as on until 8:30pm and then try and dispute the time with two local residents who had made the effort to attend is really disappointing and not to mention wrong. 

#30 Jens

Jens

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 01:31 PM

" ....I tried. I arrived there at 8:15 having come straight from work to find the representatives from Lidl in their cars about to leave. ...."

They were sitting around there since 4 pm, probably no one showed up at all, except maybe some people going on about the traffic nightmare (I am sure they hear that wherever they open a store)  and for sure also someone complaining that ‘this kind of store’ would bring the tone of the ‘affluent neighbourhood’ down. I would have left a little early too.