• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ayeare

ayeare

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:51 PM

I've recently fallen for a flat at the Anerley end of Croydon Road, just by Betts Park. Absolutely amazing space for the money, the only 'proper flat' I saw in my price range basically. I don't know much about the area (I live in Camden now) but I'm following all my first time buyer mates to the South East! 

After the DIY, I'm looking forward to finding out more about the area. Should be moving sometime in November.

#2 KrisDD

KrisDD

The Penge Tourist Board

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:59 PM

Hi!

Great move! We moved in down the road from you in May and haven't looked back since. So much more for your money and a really nice friendly area to live in! Enjoy the DIY!

#3 ayeare

ayeare

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:08 PM

Thanks Kris, I'm looking forward to it. Might need a few professionals to help out so I'll take a look at the other sections of the forum. Will be a big change for me, I've always lived very central, but it'll be interesting.

#4 Trux

Trux

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:32 PM

There's an outdoor gym in Betts Park. :) And there's a ton of nice parks and green spaces around.

#5 Eva_O2

Eva_O2

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:02 PM

Welcome to the Southside!

#6 ayeare

ayeare

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:34 PM

Thanks guys!

#7 Trux

Trux

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:03 PM

Your local will be The Mitre on Croydon Rd, which abuts the southeastern part of Betts Park, altho I don't think there's a throughway. Anyhoo, I was just in there for a couple of cups and altho it was VERY quiet, meaning 4 punters including yours truly, the landlord (from Scarborough) was a thoroughly decent geezer, the ale I had was well kept (and there's a CAMRA discount if you're so inclined) and the place is newly done up. Not the cheapest place in the area, but on a first visit I was very pleasantly surprised.

#8 ayeare

ayeare

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:26 PM

Interesting about the Mitre, I was planning to steer clear. I'll give it a go now, cheers.

#9 Trux

Trux

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:42 PM

TBH I judged them based on low expectations. Still need to check it out on a weekend, might be a different vibe to it.

#10 ajames

ajames

• Sponsors
  • 203 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:30 PM

I think there are gates to Betts Park bang next to the Mitre. Which after 9 years in CP is becoming my local as of Friday...

#11 Trux

Trux

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 10:33 AM

I think there are gates to Betts Park bang next to the Mitre. Which after 9 years in CP is becoming my local as of Friday...

Yeah, I think so. Still haven't been back - must rectify this soon.

#12 ayeare

ayeare

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:18 PM

So I've moved through a couple of legal hoops successfully, so it's getting closer. 

I really hope the Mitre is decent now! Not that I have a decent local on Camden Road either.

#13 Trux

Trux

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 04:56 PM

So I've moved through a couple of legal hoops successfully, so it's getting closer. 

I really hope the Mitre is decent now! Not that I have a decent local on Camden Road either.

You're not close to Quinn's then? TBH I've only been to the Mitre the once, and it could be totally different affair normally, but give it a shot.

#14 ayeare

ayeare

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:36 AM

Quinn's is right down in Camden Town, I'm nearer the Holloway end of the road. I have been in once, not really my kind of thing. 

Went for a pre-move drink and dinner last night in CP, had a good time. Went to Grape and Grain (not my style but nice) and Pizza at the Palace (brilliant pizza). 

Hopefully get some more news about move date soon.

#15 ayeare

ayeare

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 04:42 PM

So after 3.5 months of painful purchasing, I'm in!