• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Eva_O2

Eva_O2

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 07:57 PM

Congrats! I'm based in South Norwood so can't really comment about where to go etc. However, I can definitely recommend Mantanah Thai restaurant, which is at the top end of Portland Road - it's a short bus ride for you bus 75 or 157 from Anerley. Check out the reviews on this site and below. http://www.timeout.c...urants/mantanah http://mantanahthai.co.uk

#17 Abu Nuwas

Abu Nuwas

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:11 PM

So after 3.5 months of painful purchasing, I'm in! 

Welcome!  I hope you will be very happy. I live off Croydon Rd, but near to Penge-- just past the Lidl. Penge itself  has two nice cafés in Maple Rd, the Bluebelle, and Blue Mountain. There is also an Italian, which eems to get better whenever I go --in Green Lane. It has its own brewery, Late Knights, and a pub which has a little theatre, the Bridge House. Also some very nice looking almshouses. You will no doubt wend your way to Crystal Palace which has a great range of eateries, a market, and some v nice shops. The Grape and Grain for me is best on Sundays, when they have a singer + keyboard in the afternoons, followed back (for me) the most fantatic band from about 4pm. The Westow also does music, and friend of mine will be playing there on 23/1/ -- blues-type stuff.  Good luck.  :)

#18 KrisDD

KrisDD

The Penge Tourist Board

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 08:59 PM

Congrats on the move in and welcome to the area! I'll second everything Abu stated above but would also add the moon and stars (yes it's a weatherspoons but it's great and has such an amazing selection of ales at a dirt cheap price including late knights)! There's also Alexandra nurseries which is a great little garden centre come cafe with sublime cake! Also looks like the pub opposite, the Alexandra, is to become a gastropub

#19 Mawders

Mawders

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:19 AM

Welcome to the area ayeare.  That Pizza in the Palace place is a former Pizza Express one that went its own way years ago.  It's better than Pizza Express too, truth be told.  Palace has loads of top pubs and restaurants for a crawl and if you can be bothered to go that bit further over the hill there's the superb Beer Rebellion opposite Gipsy Hill station run by Penge's very own Late Knights. 

I think the joys of Penge have been well covered but if you're a musician you might want to pop into Twang Guitars on the high street

#20 ayeare

ayeare

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:56 PM

Thanks everyone, I'll look up those things.

Haven't had much of a chance to explore, been to Blackbird Bakery up in the triangle which was nice if you like that sort of thing!