• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Dedwards

Dedwards

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 07:39 PM

I am attempting on behalf of my mother to track down any information on her mother's family who lived in 61 Lauriel Grove, Penge, circa 1915 - 25. The family's name is Clamroth (believed to be German immigrants - who might have changed name from Klamrott). Thomas Clamorth was the father, believed to have been a motor engineer (where?). My grandmother was Annie Beatrice, who married at St John the Evangelist, Penge August 1922 to Ernest Willson. Beleived Thomas had two sons, one named Richard.

Any suggestions as to avenues to research would be appreciated.

Douglas Edwards

#2 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 11:55 AM

Have you tried the 1901 online census?

http://www.1901censu...ov.uk/index.jsp

What sort of information are you after?

teh Free BMD site migth be of use too

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/
Rachel
My link

#3 Dedwards

Dedwards

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 02:35 PM

Many thanks for your suggestion. I've tried the 1901 census with no luck unfortunately. It is believed that the Clamroth family were in fact German arriving in Penge pre 1914 (circa 1910) and changed their name to advoid anti-germanic feeling during WWI. I'm endevouring to find any reference to the family or receive suggestions as to possible avenues to research further.

Thanks

#4 Dedwards

Dedwards

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 January 2005 - 02:40 PM

Dear Chris,

Unfortunately your email address isn't working - hence the reply via the forum. Original reply 31/12.

Many thanks for your prompt response to my request re the Clamroth family and your comments re the Willson's.

I can't recall whether I mentioned in my original request on virtualnorwood, that my nana's wedding certificate shows she was living in 61 Laurel Grove at least in August 1922. Her father Thomas I've been told by my aunt was alive at least until 1928/29.

Interesting you mentioned that the Council decided to knock down the property - I found a note yesterday that a V1 rocket had hit the street in 1944 and destroyed some 18 houses, thinking that might have been the reason for the house being destroyed.

Anything you can find would be a terrific help. I've also tried to find what garages might have existed at the time as Thomas Clamroth's profession on the marriage certificate shows he was a Motor Engineer.

On the Willson side, Ernest Henry Willson (my grandfather) father was Alfred Henry Willson. Alfred was a long serving member of the Army Ordinance Corps. From what I have discovered, Alfred was originally married to Agnes Sarah Adams (from Woolwich) by whom he had (we believe ) four children - my grandfather, daughter Kathleen and two other sons - the names we think were Henry & Alfred (we haven't been able to track them down). Alfred Henry Willson left his wife and went to live with Kate Selina Flippance, by whom he had a further four children - here they spelt their surname with one L.

More interesting, Alfred Henry's family came from Plumstead, Woolwich. His father, Henry Willson was born in Widmore Bromley, had two wives, Mary Warren & Orpah Crabb. By Mary he had, Louisa Henrietta, Alison Rose and Alfred Henry and by Orpah - George Henry & Orpah Hilda. The children by Mary were all born in Plumstead, whilst the last was in Lambeth.

I can't thank you enough for what you have already done and your prompt response.

#5 Georgie

Georgie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 January 2005 - 11:45 AM

Try registering on the link below.

http://www.genesconnected.co.uk/

There is no charge and it might be that someone else will see and can help.

It is part of the Friends Reunited group. The more unusual the surname then the easier it is to try and find link.

G

#6 Chris Doran

Chris Doran

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 01:49 AM

I'm afraid I've drawn a complete blank on Clamroths/Klamrotts. There is no one of either name anywhere in Penge or Beckenham in the locally-available directories which are 1910* and 1922-39. (* Someone else looked up 1910 for me in Bromley and didn't have time to do it in much detail.) As I said in my e-mail, in 1922-39 the house is occupied by plasterer Alfred Sharp and his tailoress wife. I can only conclude that the Clamroths were tenants and only the principal occupier is listed.

Motor companies I can find for 1922-27ish are as follows:-

"The Bat" Motor Manufacturing Co, 2&4 Kingswood Rd [1922-?]
Beckenham Motor Co Ltd (Edward Batten M.I.Mech.E. managing director) office 103 Beckenham High St, works 91a. [1922-27]
W F Cliff & Son, Weighton Garage, Weighton Rd [1922-7]
Cornwall Lodge (proprietor Bernard H Darby), 109 Anerley Rd [1927-34], 111 Anerley Rd [1936 to present]
Dexter Skate & Motor Car Co, 41a Elmers End Rd [1922-?]
Claude Dicker, 5 Oakfield Rd [1922-?]
Sidney Epps, 99 Croydon Rd Penge [1922-?]
W G Hobden, 105 Elmers End Rd [192?-?]
Kent House Motor Works (William Henry Botting, proprietor) 259 Beckenham Rd & Thayers Farm Rd. [1922-3]
The Junction Motor Co, 11 Rectory Rd, Beckenham [1925-7]
Penge Motor Co (H Carpenter M.I.Mech E) 43 Green Lane & Croydon Rd [1922-6]
John B Pillin A.M.I.A.E, Church Hill Garage, Beckenham High St [1924-7]
K H Motor Works, 259 Beckenham Rd
L, S, & C Motor Co, 44 Anerley Hill [1922-?], 97 Anerley Rd [1925-31]
Charles W Notley, 2a Marlow Rd [1931-?] (still there as a windows company)
Rayner's Motor House, 204 Penge High St [1925-39]
Raynor & Finn, 23 Green Lane [1925-6]
The Red House Garage, 2 Penge High St [1922-?]
Rivett Bros, 37 Anerley Rd [1922-?]
R James, H & B Harding, Anerley Vale
Saunders Abbott & Co, Beckenham High St [1922]
Arthur Saunders, 97 Croydon Rd Penge [1922-?]
Welling & Fowler, 97 Anerley Rd
Westerman's Garage, Croydon Rd Beckenham [1927]

This is doubtless not a complete list; I don't have everything computer-searchable yet, hence the question marks on some dates. If any of the above names rings a bell with your mother, I'll check further.

I stand corrected on the fate of No 61. It was, indeed, hit by a V1 at 00:55 on 29-Jun-1944. The only fatality at 61 was a Woolwich fireman (my source doesn't say whether he was on duty or just living there). Most of what was left of that half of the road was demolished in local improvements of the 1960s and renamed Blean Grove. The site of No 61 is now a playground area for the Heath Grove flats.

Apart from my grandparents, the only Willson with 2 ells in the early 1920s was a Herbert Edward Willson at 50 Croydon Rd Penge in 1923 (only). I'll see if any of the Willsons you list appear in my family records, what few they are.

#7 Mike Abbott

Mike Abbott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 10:24 AM

Dear Douglas
My uncle was Ernest Willson,brother to my Mother Kathleen.I have been researching Willson family history for the last twelve months.It would be nice to meet and share known family history.
Best Wishes
Mike Abbott

#8 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:16 AM

Hi Douglas/Dedwards

I came across your old enquiry recently. My sister has researched our own family' Anglo-German ancestry and has looked this up for you. This is what she has found -

Medal card of Klamroth, Richard D
Corps Regiment No Rank
Royal Field Artillery 73262 Gunner

Date 1914-1920
Catalogue reference WO 372/11

She has access to Anglo German FHS records and if you are still interested in pursuing this line of enquiry, please PM me and I will send you her email address as she's not a member of VN.

Eileen
aka Pie

#9 Wilsonbjuk

Wilsonbjuk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 10:13 AM

Hello Mike

We appear to share the same grandfather – Alfred Henry Willson

My father was one of four children Alfred had with my grandmother, Kate Flippence, after leaving his wife Agnes Sarah (nee Adams) in 1921. They dropped the second “L” from their surname when registering the children’s births. Upon Alfred’s death two of the children, including my father, were placed with Barnardos, one died aged four and the other remained with his mother.

My understanding is that Alfred and Agnes had nine children together although I have not yet been able to confirm all the births.

I have details of Alfred Henry’s service record in the Royal Ordnance Corps; he also served in the Royal Artillery from Oct 1893 to July 1895 but I don’t yet have any further information on this.

I am also researching his father Henry Willson, who had eleven children with two wives. He seems to have spent some time as a “City Missioner”. There appears to be no trace of the family in the 1891 census, although they re-appear in Streatham in the 1901 census.

Look forward to hearing from you; I would be happy to exchange information to allow us to fill in gaps in each others research.

Barry Wilson

#10 Chris Line

Chris Line

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:59 AM

Hi

I beleive that a Rose Alison Willson was one of my great great Grandmothers. She was born in Plumstead around 1871. Can anyone confirm that she is the Alison Rose Willson mentioned in this post. My great great grandfathers name was William facey.

Thanks

Chris

#11 Mike Abbott

Mike Abbott

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:26 PM

Dear Chris Line
Yes ,Alison Rose Willson was born on Dec 15th 1870 at 8 Palmerston road Plumstead, the same birthplace as my Grandfather Alfred Henry Willson. We are related. My uncle was Ernest Willson who married Beatrice Clamroth at St.John the evagelist, Penge Aug 1922.
Alison Rose Willson is my Grandfather's sister.
I have been researching Willson Family history for past three years.
Please e.mail me if you would like more family history.
Mike Abbott

#12 Chris Line

Chris Line

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 02:15 PM

Hi Mike

Was she known as Rose Alison or Alison Rose?

Do you have any info about her marriage?

Do you have any info about her ancestors?

Thanks

Chris