64 replies to this topic

#1 newchickontheblock

newchickontheblock

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:14 PM

Hello 

I am thinking of buying a house in SN and am still trying to get my bearings a bit. I am seeing a few properties near Grange Park, Ross Rd, Parry Road area and wanted to know what it's like around there? I have just had a look on the map and realised the CP football stadium is near by, and wondered whether it would be affected by the noise on match days.

I took the 196 from the Junction and for about 3 stops but still had a 15 minute walk and no corner shop, in case i forget milk and in need of a glass of wine. 

From what i can gather there are no decent bars, pubs in the area is this likely to change for the better in the near future? 

I've seen a lot of post about SN / Norwood in general but they are old info from around 2006 but can't find nothing recent.  Has the area changed much since 2006.

I have children and wondered whether there was anything around for them to do?  

Are there any book clubs etc where adults can meet? I work in TV and theatre and wondered whether there were any like minded people in the area. (not that all my friend have similar jobs but just thought i'd put it out there to see what happens. 

It is all very daunting and highly stressful. I've seen a few properties around Portland Road and it did feel busier down that end but am in a quandary.

Any thoughts, shared experience greatly appreciated

Ta 

#2 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:30 AM

Right... **takes a deep breathe and begins**

South Norwood is a mix of alsorts.

Grange park area / Ross Road is fine. the park is nice for a good walk. theres the football ground down the road but as a local born & bred you will know actually the football club is family orientated so not a lot of disturbance - just lots of cars on match days but thats not a hassle really.

Crystal Palace (for pubs/bars/restaurants) is a walk away (15 minutes) - you will get used to the fact theres hills everywhere and thats free exercise for us all. Good Portuguese deli at the top of the SN Hill and theres also a great big Sainsburys by the football ground (at the bottom). There are corner shops dotted around so if you're based Ross Road area theres normally one 5-10 minute walk away.

Thornton Heath gym & pool are new.

SN pool (up Portland Road) etc is refurbed

CP park & pool etc are refurbed also but you will need to bus or car that if you're not prepared to walk 30 minutes.

South Norwood Lakes is at the bottom of SN Hill and thats really nice for a jog or a leisurely walk.

Schools are a mish mash of Academys (including the Harris group).

transort links from Thornton Heath station are 25 minutes in main London station.

Norwood Junction 12 minutes fast into town plus we also have links to Gatwick and East London line (if you work in the City and Canary Wharf)

Portland Road end by South Norwood & Woodside is slightly less quiet. (I lived above a shop a longtime back) so if you have kids then I would always go for the South Norwood Hill / Ross Road end of SN. But saying that there is a nice park at the back of Portland Road (SN Wildlife park) thats great for bike tracks and getting away from busy areas.

Trams are also this end of SN.

Hope that helps.

Ive lived in and around all areas mentioned for the past 40 years - lots has changed but thats not all bad as media likes to make out. Ive never had any trouble and its a nice part of town thats still featuring tree lined streets....

For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#3 Darcy

Darcy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 12:53 PM

Hello 
I am thinking of buying a house in SN and am still trying to get my bearings a bit. I am seeing a few properties near Grange Park, Ross Rd, Parry Road area and wanted to know what it's like around there? I have just had a look on the map and realised the CP football stadium is near by, and wondered whether it would be affected by the noise on match days.

I took the 196 from the Junction and for about 3 stops but still had a 15 minute walk and no corner shop, in case i forget milk and in need of a glass of wine. 

From what i can gather there are no decent bars, pubs in the area is this likely to change for the better in the near future? 

I've seen a lot of post about SN / Norwood in general but they are old info from around 2006 but can't find nothing recent.  Has the area changed much since 2006.

I have children and wondered whether there was anything around for them to do?  

Are there any book clubs etc where adults can meet? I work in TV and theatre and wondered whether there were any like minded people in the area. (not that all my friend have similar jobs but just thought i'd put it out there to see what happens. 

It is all very daunting and highly stressful. I've seen a few properties around Portland Road and it did feel busier down that end but am in a quandary.

Any thoughts, shared experience greatly appreciated

Ta 

Hello,

There are recent posts, I will try and find and attach for you. In the meantime, go to the fb page of People for Portland Road (there's a lot of activity on there). Although you are looking higher up the hill. It's still a good source for info on SE25 in general.

#4 Darcy

Darcy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 01:04 PM

http://www.virtualno...ion#entry140880

#5 newchickontheblock

newchickontheblock

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:12 PM

Thank  you both for your response and the links. I am seeing quite a few properties tomorrow and hope one of them will be the one. I think I've settled on SN I can't believe there are still places in London with affordable houses. I am sure the high Street / Portland Road will be regenerated and will have a decent pub and a few cafes.  Love the fact there are a ample green spaces around. 

I am looking at a property in Woodside tomorrow. Re schools that is not an issue my children are will continue to attend their current school as it's not a million miles from CP and only a few stops on the overground. so thankfully schools not an issue.

The hills i don't really mind, as you say I'll get used to them and at the beginning of my search i looked at Forest Hill because of the views.  

At the moment i'm feeling apprehensive, but that's about change - I can't wait to fall in love with a house and start getting excited about it all.

#6 Eva_O2

Eva_O2

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 08:05 PM

... I think I've settled on SN I can't believe there are still places in London with affordable houses. I am sure the high Street / Portland Road will be regenerated and will have a decent pub and a few cafes.  Love the fact there are a ample green spaces around.  

Re affordability, from the media, you wouldn't think this part (price wise) of London exists. As for regeneration of SE25 it seems that it's on the list...

Newchickontheblock. Good luck on house hunting...

#7 newchickontheblock

newchickontheblock

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 11:49 PM

just an update for those that are interested. After looking for ages i've seen 3 properties that I like. 1 in Woodside, the plus side is that it's close to transport, easy for DCs to get to school? (Do we say DC, DD, DH in this part of SE London) or should rid myself of East Dulwich speak / acronyms before I move in?

I like Woodside because it felt spacious after the melee of the junction. Woodside had a great feel about it, house was close to transport, close to Beckenham, and a few few corner shops near by. The children felt the same. which after dragging them to on public transport to see many houses they perked up the moment we arrived at this particular house.

Saw a couple up the hill also and they were blown away by the views and the closeness to CP, as was I.

Not worried about schools as they will continue to attend current school, which incidentally is easy to get to from up the hill, woodside of even from the junction.

I saw the Thai restaurant and looked good, and the cafe near the station also a bonus, at least i can get a c up of cappuccino locally.

#8 Eva_O2

Eva_O2

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:13 PM

just an update for those that are interested. After looking for ages i've seen 3 properties that I like. 1 in Woodside, the plus side is that it's close to transport, easy for DCs to get to school? (Do we say DC, DD, DH in this part of SE London) or should rid myself of East Dulwich speak / acronyms before I move in?

I like Woodside because it felt spacious after the melee of the junction. Woodside had a great feel about it, house was close to transport, close to Beckenham, and a few few corner shops near by. The children felt the same. which after dragging them to on public transport to see many houses they perked up the moment we arrived at this particular house.

Saw a couple up the hill also and they were blown away by the views and the closeness to CP, as was I.

Not worried about schools as they will continue to attend current school, which incidentally is easy to get to from up the hill, woodside of even from the junction.

I saw the Thai restaurant and looked good, and the cafe near the station also a bonus, at least i can get a c up of cappuccino locally.

Wow, well done. You seem very decisive... I've seen a couple of acquaintances from E Dulwich move here, so 'm sure SE25ers will get to grips with the acronyms sooner or later.

Good luck

#9 newchickontheblock

newchickontheblock

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:06 AM

. Wow, well done. You seem very decisive... I've seen a couple of acquaintances from E Dulwich move here, so 'm sure SE25ers will get to grips with the acronyms sooner or later.Good luck

Guys you all probably know this already but Picturehouses are planning on opening a 4 screen cinema with cafe and library in West Norwood - I know its not a million miles away, but what do we need to do to get one in SN?

#10 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 12:12 AM

Hi there,

Sadly I haven't been for years but keep meaning to - Mantanah Thai has a great rep.

Guys you all probably know this already but Picturehouses are planning on opening a 4 screen cinema with cafe and library in West Norwood - I know its not a million miles away, but what do we need to do to get one in SN?

And, if you are moving to the area, you have to join the Picture Palace Campaign - Support a Cinema for Crystal Palace. It's been running for 4 years now but we are not giving up. You can join us on FB: Picture Palace Campaign (return a cinema to Crystal Palace) and follow us on Twitter @picturepalace  :) 

Edited by charlie, 29 October 2013 - 12:13 AM.

#11 newchickontheblock

newchickontheblock

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:59 AM

Ok so I made an offer on a house and offer has been accepted. So fingers crossed all for a well.

In the meantime can anyone recommend a good dentist and Doctors please? Does anyone know whether you have to use your local Dr's surgery?

Tennis Club: are there any tennis clubs in South Norwood? I know there are courts but is there a club?

Ta

#12 Shar

Shar

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:08 PM

Hi, I'm on my way to SE25 too (fingers crossed) so would also like recommendations for dentists and a GP surgery - how's the one on Portland Road? Good luck newchickontheblock!

#13 Eva_O2

Eva_O2

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 12:14 AM

I've used the dentist on Portland Road (recommended by an acquaintance in SE25). They're good - and I consider myself as a person who is very particular (I check them out on BDA). Going for my next appoin't next week. Doctors - I'm not registered locally yet, but Portland Medical Centre on Portland Rd seem ok (I.e I haven't heard anything bad about them apart from a Dr who was hauled up for financial irregularities). Join People For Portland Road Facebook page and put the question there. Tennis - I don't know of any clubs, but I'm sure there is one at the SN Recreation park. If there isn't there soon will be especially with all the houses that are being built across the way. Fantastic and good luck to both Newchickontheblock and Shar. Keep us posted.

#14 newchickontheblock

newchickontheblock

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:27 PM

Having found a house I like, not my dream house, i fell in love with the street more than the house but just want to make sure I've chosen well. can anyone tell me what Grange park is like? We did have a bit of a peak when we were  house hunting and it seem really nice, and my DDs really liked it. Also what are the streets around the park like?

The area seems ok for buses down to the junction and up to CP, still can't find a corner shop but Sainsburys is only about 5 mins bus ride away. 

I am not having cold feet just want to make sure i've chosen wisely. 

#15 Darcy

Darcy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 04 November 2013 - 01:38 PM

Loved to help, but unfortunately I don't know Grange Park very well.