house hunting

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#16 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 02:09 PM

Grange Park is only a short trek uphill from the useful parade of shops on South Norwood Hill, just past All Saints Church. There's a "corner shop" newsagents and another grocery shop further along, plus the Portuguese cafe, dry cleaners, launderette and charity shop. The park itself is OK and it's somewhere green to ride a bike and walk the dog, if you have one.

aka Pie

#17 newchickontheblock

newchickontheblock

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 12:49 AM

Hello Guys

The silence re my question re the streets around Grange park and the park itself is making me a bit worried... should i be worried that i've chosen badly?

sorry posted before i saw this reply. we don't have a dog but I do have 2 boys with a lot of energy and a love of the outdoor. we've never lived that close to a park before and it was a massive plus in our decision to buy there, so hope it's a place they can enjoy.  

Shar how are you getting on with your move? which part of S. Norwood are you moving to, up the hill or down the hill? 

I was hoping to be in before Christmas but think I was being optimistic?

Edited by newchickontheblock, 07 November 2013 - 12:50 AM.

#18 bawheid

bawheid

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 07 November 2013 - 05:37 PM

I live on Grange road, nearer the Beulah Hill end, and the parade of shops at the top of S.Norwood Hill is useful for essentials. Plus the Portuguese cafe, greasy spoon and chip shop are all okay. There's a dentist there too, and they seem pretty good. Grangewood Park could do with some love from Croydon Council but there is a friends group who get together every few months to do planting, tidy up the park and do picnics/Christmas carols in the park which would be a nice way for you to meet other families. Don't think they have a website but I'm happy to put you in touch with them if you're nearby.... and if you're really keen then you could join them this Saturday morning at 10.30am for a few hours of bulb planting!

Other open spaces nearby include South Norwood Lakes, Norwood Rec and Westow Park.... so your boys will soon burn off their energy!

#19 Shar

Shar

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 November 2013 - 02:03 PM

We are moving down the hill, near the Country Park. Like you, I'm hoping to be in before Christmas. The park was one of the reasons we chose the area, hopefully I'll find some toddler groups too.

I've heard the Grange Park area is nice, and you will be close to two parks - South Norwood lakes is just on the other side of South Norwood Hill.

Edited by Shar, 10 November 2013 - 02:04 PM.

#20 newchickontheblock

newchickontheblock

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 01:52 AM

I Think there is a toddler group that meets in the cafe near the station.

#21 Eva_O2

Eva_O2

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:22 PM

That would be Yeha Noha...

#22 Mawders

Mawders

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:48 AM

My son and missus use the dentist in Portland Road, even though we live in Penge, and they seem happy with it.

#23 catinthehat

catinthehat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:31 PM

Hi newchickontheblock,

When I read your message I thought that could have been mine!

I am on the same boat, living in East Dulwich and likely to move to SN soon with 2 kids.

So many questions, a lot of stress, hoping to have made the right decision!

Are you still in ED?

Would be great t meet up eventually if you are up for it!!

#24 Eva_O2

Eva_O2

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:10 PM

Catinthehat the rest of potential SE25ers check out the link below, but a lot of positive things have happened since these comments. I also understand that investment is currently on the agenda for SN. http://www.virtualno...-portland-road/

#25 Eva_O2

Eva_O2

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:26 PM

Here are a few articles pertaining to SE25, which you might find interesting: http://www.croydonad...tail/story.html http://www.croydonad...tail/story.html http://www.croydonad...tail/story.html

#26 newchickontheblock

newchickontheblock

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 10:52 PM

catinthehat

I have not moved yet, it is looking likely to be after Christmas now. And yes I am up to meeting up, before or after move. if you would like to PM me please do or we can discuss on here if  you prefer. I am now looking forward to moving to SN. How old are  your kids? mine will definitely up meeting new friends. As they won't be changing schoos, they won't have any friends in the area. If  yours are younger than mine. which part of SN are you moving to? 

Are you on ED forum, if so we could chat there instead  if you prefer,  I'm easy. Do you have the same name on EDF?

#27 newchickontheblock

newchickontheblock

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:10 PM

Hello SE25ers that have responded to my queries, thank you so much. you have made me feel welcome on here. I am looking forward to moving but of course scared of leaving the familiar for the unknown.  

#28 Darcy

Darcy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 01:33 PM

NCOTB Welcome!  I was an ED resident (and was there way before it got really bougie).  Came to SE25 because of its potential (it has same the characteristics as SE22 did in the '80s) and the overground. I have no regrets. 

Join the local fb groups Stanley Halls People Initiative (something like that) and People For Portland Road (they both have their own websites too).

Things are beginning to happen - so everyone watch this space.

#29 catinthehat

catinthehat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 November 2013 - 02:14 PM

Eva thanks for the links, will read them with interest. Newchickontheblock, my kids are 7 months and 3year-old. If everything goes according to plan we will be moving to SN early next year in the Ross Road area. My username on the ED forum is JulieW. Please PM me and we could arrange to meet up, that would be very nice. How old are your children? My next step is to find a new nursery for mine. I am on maternity leave so am pretty flexible if you want to meet up for coffee in ED. After feeling quite scared I am actually getting quite excited about our move to SN!

#30 catinthehat

catinthehat

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:04 PM

Hello newchickontheblock, Do you have the same username on the ED forum? Would like to PM you about meeting up if you are still up for it !