newchickontheblock

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 11:39 PM

Hi Catinthehat

Hope you are feeling better.! :)

Shar - how is your house buying going? :mellow:

Anyone do you know whether there will be Christmas carols in Grangewood park this year?

#32 Shar

Shar

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:17 PM

Hi newchickontheblock, I was really hoping to be in before Christmas but, that is now looking unlikely. It probably isn't such a bad thing, packing, unpacking and preparing for festivities, in such a short amount of time, is in reality (for me anyway) over-ambitious. Anyway, there is so much to be done - such as finding someone to make/ fit a new garden door! I suppose it gives me more time to get used to the idea of living a new area :)

How are you getting on? When are you hoping to be in by?

I do like the idea of Christmas carols in Grangewood Park. Does the rest of South Norwood become Christmassy I wonder?

#33 newchickontheblock

newchickontheblock

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:03 PM

Shar

I won't be in before Christmas either, and yes i do agree it would be too much of a rush.  Secretly though,  I was looking forward to Christmas out of boxes. I read somewhere about Christmas carols in Grangewood park don't know whether it really happens - more wishful thinking on my part. 

You know an ice rink in SN over the festive season would be nice. I know what you mean about getting used to moving to a new area just want to move now. It feels like ages ago that put my offer in but it was only about 6 weeks ago. I might spend Christmas packing.

#34 bawheid

bawheid

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:27 AM

Hi Catinthehat

Hope you are feeling better.! :)

Shar - how is your house buying going? :mellow:

Anyone do you know whether there will be Christmas carols in Grangewood park this year?

Hi there, I've just had an email about the carols, here are the details:

Dear Friends,

You are all welcome to join us for

CAROLS by CANDLELIGHT
Saturday 14th December
6-8pm in Grangewood Park

This promises to be a magical evening
Meet for a lantern procession at Wharncliffe Lodge entrance at 6pm
(corner of Grange Rd and Wharncliffe Road)
Bring your lanterns, mulled wine, mince pies and good cheer.

Hymn sheets will be provided.

If any of you play a musical instrument and would like to bring it along, that would be fantastic.
Do invite your friends and talk about it at the school gates etc..
A poster will follow when I have worked out how to amend the dates!

If you want to be kept informed of 'friends of the park' activities, email friendsofgrangewood@yahoo.co.uk

#35 newchickontheblock

newchickontheblock

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:44 PM

Bad news on the house buying front. Yesterday I was told we could exchange mid Jan, today the vendor has pulled out of the sale. I can't bear to start again. Why do people do that? I am so angry.

#36 Darcy

Darcy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:50 PM

Newchick...How shite is that!  Sorry to hear that news especially before christmas.   

Right now it is a sellers market, so I hope they pulled out for a decent reason and are not being greedy.

I hope you still continue to hunt while the market is quieter in January so you can aim to close by spring. 

What roads/area are you looking at?  I've seen a few houses for sale that I haven't seen on Rightmove, so I can always post them to you.

Good luck

#37 newchickontheblock

newchickontheblock

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:04 PM

I feel so related having infested so much emotion into this, but I will find another house. I will, I will, Iwill! I have been looking around Ross Rd, area, near grangewood Park but will be looking down towards Woodside and to be honest anything in between. Ideally near grangewood Prk. If you could post anything to me that would be good. Have a great Christmas X

#38 newchickontheblock

newchickontheblock

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:59 PM

Meant to say i feel deflated!

#39 Shar

Shar

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:05 PM

That's awful news to receive just before Christmas. I'm so sorry, just try to enjoy the holiday and then in the new year there will be many more properties on the market. It's a quiet period at the moment but once the festivities are over there will be more to choose from. Stay positive, it will work out well. Good luck.

#40 newchickontheblock

newchickontheblock

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:00 PM

Does anyone know the streets around Grangewood park, on Thornton Heath side? In particular Mersham, Livingstone and Lenham? I spent a lot of time visiting SN and got a really good feel for the area. now having to start again, and with my buyer chomping at the bits to exchange 'yesterday,' I really need to find somewhere soon. 

TH doesn't quite work in the same way that SN or CP works does it? It feels as if there is an 'E' missing. When I first started looking I approached SN with an open mind, ignored the negative comments and found that the area suited me,  so I will do the same for TH.

wishing you all have a fab christmas and lets hope the new year brings us all good things.

#41 Eva_O2

Eva_O2

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 07:38 PM

I looked at three bed house on Livingstone rd (Station end) when house hunting. I liked the feel of the road. It seemed ok. I would have bought if the price was agreed in my budget. Mersham road seemed ok. Most of the roads seemed ok, but didn't particularly like Buller Road - seems it was a through road. There are some lovely properties in Thornton Heath. Thornton Heath (along with SN) does have a rep, but bear in mind areas change over time. When Croydon Westfield is built, I think it's inevitable that the TH and SN will change for the better.

#42 newchickontheblock

newchickontheblock

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:19 PM

Thanks Eva

I do love the idea of living in SN, I was pleasantly surprised when i first started looking  earlier in the summer - I thought I'd found a bit of a secret gem. earlier in my search i did look at a few houses near beauchamp Rd and around Spa Hill but I have to say I didn't really like that part very much but willing to give the area around the park another go. However as i am not in the position of looking leisurely, with my buyer ready to exchange I need to widen the net and am now also looking at Sydenham, Penge and Anerly so if anyone can steer me towards the right bits of these areas I would be everso grateful. 

Hope santa brings us all good things 

x

#43 newchickontheblock

newchickontheblock

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 09:05 PM

Hello All,
Does anyone know the area around Parry Road, / Michael Rd? Can the football crowd be heard during matches? I don't mind the crowd but would the noise.

Any thoughts please share.x

#44 newchickontheblock

newchickontheblock

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:22 PM

Happy New Year All!

OK am beginning to panic that i will never find THE HOUSE, the one i lost was perfect. anyway i am looking at a few houses near the country park  and just wanted some feedback on that area. am particular interested in Watcombe, Dundee, Westgate and ferndale? 

am seeing these on Saturday but as you guys helped me out last time thought you might have  some neighbourly insight for me.

Ta

x

#45 newchickontheblock

newchickontheblock

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:41 PM

Shar

Have you moved in yet? if so any feedback? I am looking at houses nearer the Counry park, Dundee Rd,, Westgate and Dundee and Waverly Rd.

xx