Photo

Buying in crystal palace/penge - good ex-council estates?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mover

Mover

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:39 PM

Hi everyone

I want to buy a one bed in Crystal Palace or Penge, I'm very keen to be near shops and the park. But my budget isn't large (200k) and prices are shooting up!

One option I did think of is an ex-council flat, I lived in one elsewhere in south london and it was great, but the estate a few streets away was really not.. And as a single person I want to be somewhere I feel comfortable.

As I don't know the area much its really hard to know which streets/estates are good and which are to be avoided. Any tips gratefully received!

#2 Trux

Trux

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:02 PM

Someone will know much more about this than me, but the estates south of Penge High Street, between Croydon Road and Oakfield Rd, always seems quite nice to me, spacious, well maintained for the most part AFAICT. Dunno what prices are like tho.

#3 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:56 PM

You mean something like this - under-budget but it's not ex-Council http://www.rightmove...y-41907563.html Just off Church Road within walking distance of the triangle.

Edited by Sylvester, 27 November 2013 - 01:01 PM.

aka Pie

#4 Mawders

Mawders

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 29 November 2013 - 02:02 PM

I'd steer clear of the Groves (various roads off Maple Road) in Penge if you can as they have a bit of a reputation for anti-social behaviour.  Other areas in Penge should be fine though and fall comfortable within your price range

#5 Trux

Trux

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:50 AM

I'd steer clear of the Groves (various roads off Maple Road) in Penge if you can as they have a bit of a reputation for anti-social behaviour.  Other areas in Penge should be fine though and fall comfortable within your price range

Anything to back that up? I'm not saying you're wrong as such, but a look at the official stats (which admittedly can only be trusted so far) doesn't indicate that the area is anything other than average.

Edited by Trux, 01 December 2013 - 11:50 AM.

#6 Gema

Gema

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:51 PM

Not the first time I have heard this. We looked at a few flats on Jasmine Grove and never saw any antisocial behaviour - although we only visited during the weekend in the daytime. The crime map shows issues with antisocial behaviour but doesn't pinpoint what the actual problems are. I've lived on plenty of estates in South East London and nothing really stood out as an immediate problem. It would be good to know what the issues are in the area?

#7 Palace_denizen1

Palace_denizen1

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:35 PM

Not the first time I have heard this. We looked at a few flats on Jasmine Grove and never saw any antisocial behaviour - although we only visited during the weekend in the daytime. The crime map shows issues with antisocial behaviour but doesn't pinpoint what the actual problems are. I've lived on plenty of estates in South East London and nothing really stood out as an immediate problem. It would be good to know what the issues are in the area?

since the pub beside jasmine grove got shut down, i would guess the whole area has improved a lot recently.

#8 Palace_denizen1

Palace_denizen1

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:53 PM

since the pub beside jasmine grove got shut down, i would guess the whole area has improved a lot recently.

plus you will be on the Tramlink Extension whenever they decide to give it the green light.   A very good long term investment. 

#9 Gema

Gema

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:41 AM

The pub huh? We love a good pub and had a look at both of them near Jasmine Grove/Maple Road and they didn't look like much of a problem - in fact, if anything, they looked positively sleepy. Still, never visited them on a Friday night at closing time! And something has to explain the anti-social crime statistics....

#10 Mawders

Mawders

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 12:06 PM

Two things:

It was the groves area that the council concentrated in when they did their recent high profile clean up

A policeman told me that was where most of their penge and cator issue families live

#11 Juicybiscuit

Juicybiscuit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 10:23 AM

What about the Kingswood Estate? Seemed pleasant enough when I was round there in the summer. Very leafy and green. Sydenham Hill station right next door. Walkable up to the triangle. Don't know it well enough to say how nice/safe it is.

#12 Mover

Mover

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 09:02 PM

Thanks everyone! This is very helpful. I've seen a few advertised on sylvan road, seems like this might me an option?

#13 Mover

Mover

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 08:49 PM

Any views on oakwood drive? There are a few coming up for sale there, its very well located but I heard there were problems with drugs in the past

#14 Mani77

Mani77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:20 PM

Would love to know if anyone has an opinion on either the High Level Drive estate or the Central Hill estate - we are also hunting. Thanks in advance!