• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Maudharris

Maudharris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 03:34 PM

Hello.  I am looking for information about Norwood Children's home, Elder Road, West Norwood during the 1930's.  My mother Maud Harris was there and would welcome any pictures, memories or anything.  Also, if anyone knows of a Dorothy Bassey who was there at the time.

#2 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:47 PM

Some information and photos here.

After 1930, the Elder Road site was taken over by the London County Council. It was subsequently divided into a number of separate establishments. The northern part of the site became Norwood Children's Home (renamed Wood Vale in 1949) and a primary school (Elder Road School). The southern part became the Lambeth Home for the Aged, with the south-eastern area subsequently being renamed Elderwood, and the south-western area becoming Norwood House — both these accommodated the elderly, with Norwood House also being used to house homeless families.

"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#3 Maudharris

Maudharris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 01:52 PM

Hello and thanks for the reply.   The photos are very helpful.  My mother was in Norwood Children's Home  from the age of 9  in 1933 - 1937.   She was in Elizabeth House.  Another girls house was called Nightingale House.  She remembers a nurse called Beatrice Cook.   Her friends there were Violet Harris and Emily Longdon.  Any other people out there who know of the place?  My mother would be delighted for information.

#4 David Morris

David Morris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 03:30 PM

Hi Maudharris

I am looking for any information about South Norwood Mother and Baby home better known as the The Retreat' so that i can trace details of  my wife's birth mother Violet May Reed who was there  as a laundry hand in 1940.

She also lived at 56 Hilda Vale Road Farnborough prior to that

.I understand the The Retreat at Ross Road is no longer there hence I'm trying to find any information about Violet or her surviving Relatives.

Kind regards

David and Moyra Morris

#5 Maudharris

Maudharris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:18 PM

Hello David and Moyra Morris

I regret to say that my mother has no information about this home.   I hope you find something out soon.

regards

Maud

#6 David Morris

David Morris

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:13 AM

Thank for your efforts

Kind regards from

David and Moyra

#7 patjones25

patjones25

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 07:48 PM

Hi all, my dad was in the children's home there - I managed to get his file from London Metropolitan Archives - I applied and had to give them proof he was dead and I was his daughter then a social worker went through it to make sure there was nothing I should not see then it was posted to me.

My dads name was Terence Rocke and he was there until he was evacuated in WW2 not sure if Maud Harris's mum would have known him as it appears boys and girls were segregated but guess its possible - be good to hear from anyone who might have known him

Pat Jones

Edited by patjones25, 28 March 2014 - 07:49 PM.

#8 Maudharris

Maudharris

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 12:37 PM

Hello Pat Jones,

My mother was at the home 1933 to 1937 and children were evacuated in 1939, so your father may have been there then.  She does not remember your father as the boys and girls never mixed.  Strict segregation!   Brothers and sisters could meet on a Sunday for an hour,  or they saw boys on the way to school. 

My mother is pleased you contacted and hope someone else replies.

Susan,  Maud's daughter.