• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MattVN

MattVN

VN Admin

• Admin
  • 543 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 01:55 AM

Just a quick note about the recent kitchen spam.

Firstly, thanks to everyone who has reported the content. Any member can report a post as inappropriate for any reason and it alerts me about the issue. I am trying to zap it as soon as I can until I find a more efficient way of blocking it completely.

This kind of spam isn't usually expecting a sale or any business directly from people clicking on the link, instead they hope that the links remain and generally links to their website results in higher rankings for them in Google. Thanks how they hope to benefit later.

Often these kind of posts are automated, looking for vulnerabilities in a site, and a program is run to send posts containing links to 1000's of websites. In the spamming case on VN I think that some if not all of the recent messages have been manually posted, which makes it difficult to prevent, unless I manually approve each new member.

As soon as I get a spare couple of hours I'll look into a better way to handle this issue but in the meanwhile, thanks to everyone who has let me know - I haven't had chance to reply to you all, but appreciate the reports and messages.

Matt

Virtual Norwood Admin | Visit VN's WikiBlogsGallery and Calendar

Contact me via webform or at 

#2 HeadGardener

HeadGardener

• Sponsors
  • 677 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:21 PM

Ah, I had assumed they were spam rather than part of a sudden interest in home improvement, but thank you for the clarification.

#3 Mawders

Mawders

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:41 AM

Matt - I don't know how many mods you have on here but if it was a few the rogue posts could be deleted immediately.  Also can't the admin ban the IP addresses of the spammers?  I know they often spoof IP addresses but many don't.

#4 MattVN

MattVN

VN Admin

• Admin
  • 543 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 01:06 PM

Yep I started banning IPs but they are spoofing them. So different IP every time.

I can ban an entire country range (for example a lot of the spam is coming from Indian based IPs at the moment).

Could also manually approve the first post of new members - just have to find the time to install a mod to do that.

#5 HeadGardener

HeadGardener

• Sponsors
  • 677 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:38 PM

Sorry to be such a dummy, but how does one report a post?  I saw more kitchen spam yesterday but couldn't immediately see how to report it.

#6 HeadGardener

HeadGardener

• Sponsors
  • 677 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:56 PM

Ignore that!  Just worked it out.  Duh.

#7 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:02 AM

Just dealt with another load. I'm sure if anyone's after an IKEA kitchen they'll have the wherewithal to go straight to Purley Way
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#8 MattVN

MattVN

VN Admin

• Admin
  • 543 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:39 PM

Thanks Elmo.

I just removed a lot earlier too. I've enabled administrator review of all accounts before posing is allowed. If these posts still appear then they have found a way to bypass admin approval!

Matt