Photo

2.4 MILLION TO SPEND IN CP PARK - CONSULTATION!

Crystal Palace Park Consultation Improvements Bromley GLA Community Stakeholder Group

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 02:32 PM

Latest from the Crystal Palace Park Community Stakeholder Group. To read the newsletter in full or to sign up to our mailing list follow the link LATEST NEWSLETTER

HOW WOULD YOU SPEND £2.4 MILLION IN CRYSTAL PALACE PARK? TAKE PART IN THE CONSULTATION!

Now that the local government elections are over Crystal Palace Park Community Stakeholder Group (CSG) is able to make a number of positive announcements regarding regeneration projects in park.

Interim projects list:
The GLA have made £2 million pounds available for regeneration projects in the park. After a number of months work, the CSG along with other stakeholders, have helped to identify an ‘Interim projects list’ of capital projects, to be funded by the GLA money. The projects are drawn from the widely consulted 2007 Masterplan, the Heritage Lottery Fund application and community feedback.

The list covers a wide range of projects, including restoration of the park’s heritage assets (such as the dinosaurs and sphinxes), bringing the concert bowl back into use, landscaping and a skateboard park.

Before a final selection is made the CSG is conducting a consultation with park users to gain your views on the list and to provide feedback. CSG members will be outside the Information Centre in the park (Penge entrance) on the following dates:

11am - 4pm, Sunday 15th June
3pm - 8pm, Wednesday 18th June
11am - 4pm, Saturday 21st June

Please come along and have a look at the shortlisted projects, speak to the team, take part in the survey and give us your views. The on-line survey will be going live soon.

Community projects fund:
In addition to the GLA’s capital fund, Bromley council is also establishing a fund for community groups to undertake their own projects in the park. The CSG have been lobbying for such a fund for two years. It will give groups wishing to start projects and activities in the park a real chance to secure the money needed to bring these forward. We are currently working with Bromley in setting up the application process and drawing up the awards criteria.

We are keen to get this fund up and running as soon as we can and see it as crucial in rebooting community involvement with the park. Further details about the application process will be provided as soon as they have been finalised.

Both the GLA and Bromley funds, a total of some £2.45 million, were originally to be added to a hoped for Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) award of £5 million. As has been previously reported, the HLF, whilst recognising the strength of our application, felt unable to grant an award due to the uncertainty caused by ZhongRong Group's proposals for the Park.

Your views are important. We hope to see you in the park over the next week.

Best wishes,
Martin Tempia
Chair - Crystal Palace Park Community Stakeholder Group
Crystal Palace Park Management Board

#2 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 07:28 AM

gallery_743_148_360652.jpg

#3 CapitAl

CapitAl

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 02:20 PM

I'm quite annoyed to see "restoring the dinosaurs" as one of the options. My view is that Bromley Council has a duty of care to maintain these to a reasonable standard. Its clearly not done so, but to ask for the money to come from this budget isn't on.

Al

#4 duncanm

duncanm

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 05:40 PM

Brockwell Park is absolutely fantastic; vast areas of well kept parkland, the Lido, children's park, farm, amongst other things. Admittedly not *quite* as large as Crystal Palace park, but getting there. I wondered for a bit how Lambeth council were able to ensure that the park was kept up to a good standard without having to send out questionnaires to the general public about how they should spend the cash for the place, and then I remembered; you've a Labour council vs a Conservative council, the latter would probably consider the money spent as a waste, which could have been used to cut council tax instead. In other words, knowing the cost of everything, but the value of nothing. I would guess, however, that Brockwell Park has seen continuous investment over years and years, while CP has suffered from underinvestment for years. I mean, it's not terrible by any stretch, but all the things that this consultation highlights could have done with continuous care and attention over the years instead of building up to having to choose what bit to save.

Anyway, popped down, wouldn't bother, just fill in the questionnaire online, they weren't there for discussion about the hows and whys - I mean, I had mentioned that I thought that the park was about to be showered with more money that it ever needed, thanks to the ZR plans, so why bother anyway, but no explanation was offered.

#5 GipsyHill

GipsyHill

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 15 June 2014 - 06:38 PM

I was at the drop-in event today at the "Information Center" (by the park's cafe at the Penge gate end of the park). 

This is the web address that explains each of the park “options” being consulted is at:

http://www.bromley.g...rojects_booklet

This is web address for the consultation survey is at:
http://www.surveymon...aceimprovements

Indicate the preferences by allocating “20 points” across the projects that you think are worthy of funding.  Please ensure that no more than 20pts in total is allocated across one or more projects you wish to support.

At the drop in event today, I was told there was a small additional funding set aside for other specific projects/improvements that the community may wish in the park.   So you may wish to detail other areas where such limited funding could be of most value.

GH

#6 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:42 AM

I'm quite annoyed to see "restoring the dinosaurs" as one of the options. My view is that Bromley Council has a duty of care to maintain these to a reasonable standard. Its clearly not done so, but to ask for the money to come from this budget isn't on.

Al

They really are in a sorry state especially considering they are grade I listed. You would think this is the type of case where the many millions sitting in the lottery heritage fund could be put to use. The whole park looks so shabby and unkempt, trees are cut down and not replaced, most of the visitor facilities, be it café or toilets are tired and in unwelcoming 70’s structures and then there’s the acres of tarmac (which gets well used by commuters taking advantage of free parking on CP being on the boundary of Zone 3)and random broken fencing. It’s clear Bromley has underinvested for a great many years and will continue to do so until they manage to pass the park onto someone else and it really is shown up compared to other local parks like Dulwich and Brockwell which seem to have found funds from various sources.

My vote goes to 10) restore concert bowl or 12a) new café/visitors centre on the lake as at least they will be permanent structures that can generate some money that can go back into the park.

#7 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:15 PM

Anyway, popped down, wouldn't bother, just fill in the questionnaire online, they weren't there for discussion about the hows and whys - I mean, I had mentioned that I thought that the park was about to be showered with more money that it ever needed, thanks to the ZR plans, so why bother anyway, but no explanation was offered.

Thanks for popping down Duncanm and sorry that you didn't get the answers you were seeking. You may well have spoken to me or it could have been one of the other volunteers who gave up their Sunday. I had lots of positive and long conversations with people who specifically came down for the consultation.  Couldn't answer all the questions but most people understood that and most were pretty pleased that people were pushing to get some improvements going in the park.

The Hows and the Whys? The £2.4m is made up of the £2million the GLA promised back in 2011 and £450,000 from Bromley. Together this was the match funding for the £5 million Heritage Lottery Fund bid which failed because of the ZhongRong proposals.

The ZhongRong proposals have gone very quiet and the last I heard was that Bromley council officials were flying out to China to salvage the deal. So regardless of future promises that the park will be showered with money, we have continued to push for the money that the GLA & Bromley originally promised to support the HLF to be spent in the park now otherwise we could be waiting for years to see anything happening in the park.  

The GLA has also commissioned a parking strategy for the park and a feasibility on options for the Sports Centre which will go out to consultation later this year.

If ZhongRong doesn't go ahead then I understand that Bromley will immediately resubmit the HLF bid.

#8 dickp

dickp

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:51 PM

Ahem, Bromley: Please stop your survey monkey form from overriding the preferences of respondents....

#9 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:56 PM

Ahem, Bromley: Please stop your survey monkey form from overriding the preferences of respondents....

Are you talking about Sections 2 and 10 Dick P ?

#10 duncanm

duncanm

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:58 PM

Thanks for popping down Duncanm and sorry that you didn't get the answers you were seeking. You may well have spoken to me or it could have been one of the other volunteers who gave up their Sunday. I had lots of positive and long conversations with people who specifically came down for the consultation.  Couldn't answer all the questions but most people understood that and most were pretty pleased that people were pushing to get some improvements going in the park.

The Hows and the Whys? The £2.4m is made up of the £2million the GLA promised back in 2011 and £450,000 from Bromley. Together this was the match funding for the £5 million Heritage Lottery Fund bid which failed because of the ZhongRong proposals.

The ZhongRong proposals have gone very quiet and the last I heard was that Bromley council officials were flying out to China to salvage the deal. So regardless of future promises that the park will be showered with money, we have continued to push for the money that the GLA & Bromley originally promised to support the HLF to be spent in the park now otherwise we could be waiting for years to see anything happening in the park.  

The GLA has also commissioned a parking strategy for the park and a feasibility on options for the Sports Centre which will go out to consultation later this year.

If ZhongRong doesn't go ahead then I understand that Bromley will immediately resubmit the HLF bid.

Thanks, appreciate the answers. I feel though that this does underscore the lack of investment from the council in the park; even from the referencing to shooting off to china specifically to salvage the deal (bromley residents might want to FOA the expenses on that particular jolly ;-) ) - that it's all or nothing; either no investment (or bits and pieces) or handing over half the park to a private consortium to let them deal with it. seems to be a bit of a lack of imagination there, hence the idea of potentially reaching out to their neighbours for ideas of how to invest the cash, using their own experiences. 

#11 Zirconium

Zirconium

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:43 AM

I gave up filling in the online questionnaire - it's seriously flawed.  Numeric answers are pre-programmed and you can't change them.

#12 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:59 AM

The survey is not perfect Zirconium but I would not go as far to say that it is seriously flawed. The numerical ranking questions 2 and 10 do work and are not pre-programmed. For example in Question 2 if you rank The Built Heritage as 1 being the most important then it will rank it 1 and move it to the top of the list. You then need to rank the others. If over 200 people can fill out their survey so far then I am sure you can too :-)

#13 jonh

jonh

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:49 PM

The survey is not perfect Zirconium but I would not go as far to say that it is seriously flawed. The numerical ranking questions 2 and 10 do work and are not pre-programmed. For example in Question 2 if you rank The Built Heritage as 1 being the most important then it will rank it 1 and move it to the top of the list. You then need to rank the others. If over 200 people can fill out their survey so far then I am sure you can too :-)

It is seriously flawed. Any attempt to rank your answers to Q2 results in the site re-ranking them in the order they appear (ie 1) landscape, 2) facilities, 3) heritage). Try it! It's not a browser issue.

I'd like to contribute, but there's not much point if it can't record your responses.

#14 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:01 PM

jonh - It works fine on my browser - Google Chrome. And one of my colleagues has tried it at the office too. It worked perfectly but not in the normal way you would expect it to.

You have to rank each preference in turn. So for example I ranked Facilities 1 and it automatically moved it to the top of the list. You then have to decide what your 2nd preference is and rank it 2 and so on so forth depending on whether you are on q.2 or q.10

I have been in touch with Bromley and they have said:

"There is an issue with the way SurveyMonkey presents questions that require ranked answers: when you select a ranking it changes the order of the answers to reflect your selection. "

They have unfortunately not been able to change the way SurveyMonkey allows you to input answers to those questions.

#15 Dac

Dac

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:44 PM

I would have an exhibition of augmented reality app’s showing the 80 years of hidden history of Crystal Palace so you can look at what the building would have looked like through you phone on tabulate in the park.  IT and Phone companies what to develop this technology to sell us next generation phones and IT and need some ware to show off and launch this software. What they need is a space and lots of hidden content which could be created by the local community.

This would be good for UK IT industry, tourist industry, games industry, arts and history areas.

Money could be made out of renting out the space and the development of apps and content which then could be put back into the park. The whole thing should be set up as a community interest company by the community for the community.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Crystal Palace Park, Consultation, Improvements, Bromley, GLA, Community Stakeholder Group