• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#31 Trux

Trux

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 11:24 AM

I reckon it was a pint, Mawders - I had the same experience when I was there. They have a range of cheaper ales at... 3.20 or so, and then some at 5 quid. Bit steep if you ask me.

#32 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 11:09 PM

I reckon it was a pint, Mawders - I had the same experience when I was there. They have a range of cheaper ales at... 3.20 or so, and then some at 5 quid. Bit steep if you ask me.

Not being an ale drinker, I'd be interested to know exactly what is the going rate for a pint or speciality pint around Se19/Se20? I can remember when a half of bitter was 32p  :o  

#33 Trux

Trux

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 02:10 AM

Spoons will sell you a good ale for less than 2.50 a pint. Normally you'd be looking at a pound more in many places. You can easily spend more too, depending on the venue and drink of choice.

#34 John N

John N

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 12:49 PM

Spoons will sell you a good ale for less than 2.50 a pint. Normally you'd be looking at a pound more in many places. You can easily spend more too, depending on the venue and drink of choice.

To add to your comment, `Spoons will also sell you a pint of decent ale with a burger and chips for about 5.50.

It might not be the venue of choice for the local Hipster population but by todays standards it`s good value.

Also, charlie must be a young whippersnapper. I remember a pint of bitter for less than 2 shillings!

Oh dear, quick, pass the Zimmer frame.  :wacko:

#35 Trux

Trux

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 05:59 PM

They do do very good meal deals, but to be honest I rarely go to Spoons to eat.

#36 noseturnedblue

noseturnedblue

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 01:32 AM

The new Beer Rebellion place doesn't feel like a step forward. It is cramped and who wants to see people cooking in a pub, even if the extraction systems are very efficient? Give me the old place any day. 

#37 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 10:37 AM

The new Beer Rebellion place doesn't feel like a step forward. It is cramped and who wants to see people cooking in a pub, even if the extraction systems are very efficient? Give me the old place any day. 

They have quite a roomy basement which is quite nice, although a bit Spartan.

As others have mentioned they could do with a price list though as the good old days of £3.50 drinks seem to have gone and got stung for a £5 pint in there the other week.

#38 Trux

Trux

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 17 November 2014 - 04:20 PM

I didn't really take to the cellar either, and I've already moaned about the ground floor....

In other news, very much looking forward to the re-opening of the Goldsmith's Arms down in Ponge :). Walked past there today and it seemed to be busy with plenty of people working inside.

#39 Mawders

Mawders

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:02 PM

Penge should be booze central on Thursday night.  Goldsmiths re-opens and Late Knights are doing the Alexandra Nurseries that night.  Throw in the turning on of the High Street Xmas lights, with bands, and there could be a fair few wobbly legs around later.  Thank God, Thursday is the new Friday.

Incidentally Late Knights are opening their Penge brewery as a pub/shop every Saturday (till 7pm) between now and Crimbo Day.  If it's a success the shop will be a regular daily thing... though they are currently on schedule for a February opening of the Alex pub under their stewardship.  And rumours on the Penge Tourist Board last night suggested that a large retail unit on the High Street (the C&V Traing place) is due to become a pub/restaurant in the future.

#40 Trux

Trux

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 01:35 PM

My word - maybe Penge really IS becoming the new Brixton? Or is that Crystal Palace? Making Penge the new Streatham perhaps.

#41 Mawders

Mawders

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 19 November 2014 - 07:52 AM

My word - maybe Penge really IS becoming the new Brixton? Or is that Crystal Palace? Making Penge the new Streatham perhaps.

I see Penge as the new West Norwood.  A few years behind but similarities exist.

#42 JMS

JMS

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:06 AM

Just to say I ended up in a bar/restaurant called Toasted in East Dulwich last week. They had a very good selection of local craft beers including Late Knights. In addition to Wormcatcher by Late Knights I had a bottle of FHHV (Friends of Herne Hill Velodrome) by Canopy Beer Co at Herne Hill - very nice!

#43 jobytc77

jobytc77

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 December 2014 - 08:12 AM

The food is very good (though quite pricey) there too. Wine is good value.

#44 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 05 December 2014 - 10:20 PM

Picking up some hop growers' bottles of the Palace Pint from the Late Knights brewery tomorrow. Looking forward to it!

#45 Mawders

Mawders

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 08:27 AM

Palace Pint is the only LK beer I don't like.