• Please log in to reply
142 replies to this topic

#136 Magnolia

Magnolia

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 12:06 PM

Not sure if this is the right place, but I noticed the other day that there is now a cafe operating inside 25 Church Road. I presume this doesn't have the relevant permission? 

#137 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 10:29 PM

Not sure if this is the right place, but I noticed the other day that there is now a cafe operating inside 25 Church Road. I presume this doesn't have the relevant permission? 

Thanks Magnolia. At the moment it seems to be the primary use of the building although it's empty day in day out which is not surprising. Heard on the CP grape vine that the cafe operator has taken a 3 year lease. They've been trying to penetrate the CP lunch time market by dropping in flyers to all the local businesses for some ultra cheap meal deals. 

gallery_743_124_10704.jpg

The 2nd community space in the basement that KICC were pushing for community use as part of their planning application has been turned into a kitchen. Looks like they are trying to capture the KICC wedding market once they get their premises licence.

I bet they wish they had never set foot in Crystal Palace as do we! Waiting for the appeal now.

Latest news - KICC's application unanimously refused at Planning committee! So, what next? PLUS Please support the Crystal Palace Overground Festival

#138 CapitAl

CapitAl

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 10:47 PM

Yes, we've had the flyers as well. The food doesn't look particularly inspiring from the pictures - even it did I wouldn't go there on principal. I wandered in there a couple of days ago at a time when most of the local cafes were reasonably busy, it was empty. With the amount of competition on the triangle I can't imagine it will do a lot of business.

#139 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 10:50 PM

Clearly running a cafe without any activity going on is clearly not the correct use class. A cafe is an A3 use the building is D2.

Not only are they running another unlawful use but to the detriment of legitimate café businesses who don't have the benefit of not paying business rates.

Question is what's to be done about it?
  • Posie likes this

#140 CapitAl

CapitAl

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 05:05 PM

I've informed the planning dept at Bromley by email and asked what they're going to do about it.

• Posie likes this

#141 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:27 PM

Well I had a nice burger in there the other day.and I am pleased the venue is open to the public and being kept in reasonable order - adding something to the Church Road street scene. I know the church isnt everyones bag of onions and their flouting of the building's use is a bit underhand but I think there is some balance to be had here - Casa Cuba didnt have permission for the alfresco tables and chairs but it generally met with peoples support on here it seemed . Whilst I doubt the building's main users generally deliver much to the local economy the few that I have bumped into seem in the main nice people, If the church hadnt bought it I am not sure it would currently be used for anything else.

......................runs for cover.!

#142 mickeyboy

mickeyboy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 10:39 PM

Well I had a nice burger in there the other day.and I am pleased the venue is open to the public and being kept in reasonable order - adding something to the Church Road street scene. I know the church isnt everyones bag of onions and their flouting of the building's use is a bit underhand but I think there is some balance to be had here - Casa Cuba didnt have permission for the alfresco tables and chairs but it generally met with peoples support on here it seemed . Whilst I doubt the building's main users generally deliver much to the local economy the few that I have bumped into seem in the main nice people, If the church hadnt bought it I am not sure it would currently be used for anything else.

What made you go in there for a burger Chewie? Was it the price, or the enticing posters displayed outside?

#143 Fang

Fang

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 25 March 2015 - 08:46 AM

You are of course entirely free and entitled to spend your money where you wish.

I think it's a pity you decided against spending it with one of the long established, tax paying, caterers in Church Rd. You instead chose to support a an organisation currently being investigated (for a second time) by the Charity Commission,  which has treated the district and its community with thinly disguised contempt and which, in the opinion of many, has more in common with a Ponzi scheme than a Christian Church, with charitable duties and obligations. But as I said, the choice is yours. Two quick points;

Casa Cuba's outside seating area was not found to breach planning Laws. A local grassed them up to the London Fire Brigade, who visited and found that they it didn't pose an access risk.

Rest assured , the building would have been in use now if the KICC hadn't bought it. They out-bid a cinema operator for the building and have rejected now fewer than three offers for the building since they acquired it.

I continue to be baffled by the fact that the KICC has used Charitable Funds to buy an entertainment venue and takeaway burger bar.

Edited by Fang, 25 March 2015 - 08:47 AM.

• mickeyboy likes this

"This is what we find, this is what we find, the hope that springs eternal, springs right up your behind."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 25 Church Road, KICC, planning, licensing