• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 FRC

FRC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:36 PM

The Gipsy Hill Federation - which runs Kingswood, Elm Wood, Paxton, Crawford and Fenstanton Primary Schools - is hoping to open a new secondary school. This can ONLY happen if we can show the Government that enough local parents support the idea and would like to send their child there. Please go to http://www.gipsyhill...uk/GHFSecondary for more information and to sign up support.

#2 duncanm

duncanm

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 08:34 AM

It's still a tremendous shame that they have to go down the route of the free school for something that nominally should be the responsibility of the local education authority, but at least they have a fantastic track record when it comes to education, and of course, are not in any way related to a carpet company.

Can we support it even if we don't have an eligible child? I'm pretty sure that as special as I believe my one year old to be, he's going nowhere near this school any time soon!

Edited by duncanm, 04 September 2014 - 08:35 AM.

#3 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:19 AM

As a parent of a child at one the schools in the GH Federation, I am backing this, not least because the fundamental concept is to keep as many of the federation primary school kids as possible together by providing the opportunity to attend a local secondary which will have the same inclusive and educational ethos as the existing primary provision.It will also ,imho, contribute to community cohesion by reducing the number of families who feel they need to move away just to secure a decent secondary school place or send their children to a private school. One of the GH Federations great strengths is that it leverages off its diversity and engages parents to support the schools. It would be great to see that continuing into yhe childrens secondary school years.

Whilst the free schools,as a concept,cause significant debate, it pretty clear to me that, in this instance, the reality is that the move reflects a serious failure by Lambeth to deal with a known locsl problem

The pupil intake at all three schools has grown expedentially since 2008 with Kingswood going from 60 children per year to 120, Elmwood having bulge years and Paxton looking to double its intake.

As it stands ,when my daughter reaches secondary age in two years time the numbers leaving these three schools will be double the current output.

But Lambeth have done nothing over the last five years to increase local secondary school provision to cope with this so the existing secondary school place shortages is only going to get much much worse in 2016.

Bottom line is that if the local authority lets you down it is hardly surprising that educationalists and parents get together and do it themselves.

Edited by jamesl, 05 September 2014 - 07:28 AM.

#4 duncanm

duncanm

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 08:28 AM

But Lambeth have done nothing over the last five years to increase local secondary school provision to cope with this so the existing secondary school place shortages is only going to get much much worse in 2016.

Bottom line is that if the local authority lets you down it is hardly surprising that educationalists and parents get together and do it themselves.

But what's the deal there? I can't believe that a labour council would be in cahoots with the department of education to phase out the responsibility of education from the LEA to 'the people' via academies and free schools but is that the case, or is it that LEAS simply can't get the resources they need to be able to ensure that there are enough schools to serve everyone?

#5 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 12:14 PM

I thought it was the case free schools got priority over local councils with regard funding and help so it might be case Lambeth wanted a new secondary school but current government ideology put free schools first.

All local councils are going to see a problem in secondary schools in the coming years as the priority at the moment is keeping up with demand for new primary places. These kids in a few more years are going to need secondary schools so the mad scramble seen in providing places for primarys will be replicated in secondary.

#6 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 02:06 PM

But that' the problem NL - the ticking bomb for secondary school places need to be addressed now given it takes several years to get a secondary school open but there is no sign of Lambeth tackling  this

I don't doubt that Central Government capping of capital funds to LEA's for new schools has contributed to the problem (and a cynic might say it is deliberate to encourage take up of free schools) but its also about priorities. For example Lambeth knew in 2013 that it had a £50 million shortfall just  to be able to meet primary school demand for 2015 (let alone secondary demand) and went as far as to launch a campaign to get residents to lobby government for more money..........but in the same year Lambeth decides to build a spanking new town hall for ......£50 million !!

As for secondary provision the two state secondaries in the south of the borough (The Norwood School and Elm Green) are both massively oversubscribed and have been for over 5 years  with no commitment by Lambeth to build a new schools to cover the known increase by 2016 caused by the big jump in local  primary pupils which started over 6 years ago

And it remains the case that Lambeth has the highest percentage (except City of London) of any inner London borough of pupils who live in the borough but go to a state secondary outside  of borough (and those secondaries in this area which are nearby, but out of borough, are also massively over subscribed - Harris Academy in Croydon get 18 applications per place and Kingsdale 7.5 per place)

#7 FRC

FRC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:39 PM

Can we support it even if we don't have an eligible child? I'm pretty sure that as special as I believe my one year old to be, he's going nowhere near this school any time soon![/quote] Yes absolutely - I know it's hard to believe now but sooner than is surely possible your one year old will be big enough for secondary! My one year old has magically transformed himself in the blink of an eye to being a lanky eight year old... more seriously the plans are for a school that is genuinely in the heart of its local community so we really want community wide support. Please spread the word! And it seems that going down the free school route is the only way to get funding for a new school at the moment. Thank you for your interest

#8 jannyjan

jannyjan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 10:27 AM

Fully support The GHF in their quest for a secondary school.  

Interested to know how far they've looked into creating a school and where it would be based. There are no sites as far as I know within the local area, so how local would it actually be? Bearing in mind the GHF is spread out as far as Camberwell. I know previously that there has been issues with finding sites for primary schools, let alone a Secondary School. Also what would be their admissions policy?  Lot's of questions swirling through my mind, I look forward to seeing some flesh being put on the bones as they say!

#9 FRC

FRC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:38 PM

Hi Jannyjan

Plans are fairly far advanced - and yes there are sites in mind which would make the school local to our community, but for the moment that information is commercially sensitive - don't want someone else jumping in to raise the price.

If you would like to know more about the plans - they are really inspiring and exciting there are some meetings at the Federation schools which you are welcome to attend:

Fenstanton School - tomorrow (Wed) at 2.30

Elm Wood Thurs at 9am

Paxton School Thurs at 9.30

Kingswood School Upper Site, next Tues 23rd at 6.30pm

Meanwhile please spread the word - even if you decide that the Gipsy Hill Federation Secondary is not for your child, a new school will ease pressure on other schools in the area - Harris Crystal Palace had 11 applications to every place last year.

You can sign up to show support here: http://www.gipsyhill...uk/GHFSecondary

Thank you for your interest.

#10 FRC

FRC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:35 PM

Only a few days left to show your support for the GIpsy Hill Secondary School - if we can't show sufficient support then jt just won't happen.

Please sign up if you haven't already - if you have signed up then spread the word and encourage your friends and neighbours to do the same!

Thank you for your support - to sign up  go to http://www.gipsyhilluk/GHFSecondary

The clock is ticking - don't let this great opportunity for our community slip through our fingers

#11 FRC

FRC

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:33 PM

If you would like to know more about the proposed new secondary school plans, then the Gipsy Hill Federation are holding two community meetings next week. Both are at Kingswood School Lower Site on Gipsy Road, the first on Monday at 7pm then same time on Thursday. Executive Headteacher Sir Craig Tunstall will talk about the plans and answer any questions you may have.

Both meetings are open to all in the community.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: School, Education, Parents