Photo

Indigo

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Restaurant? (9 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Restaurant?

1. Excellent (2 votes [22.22%])

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

2. Good (3 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Average (2 votes [22.22%])

4. Poor (2 votes [22.22%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 01 February 2005 - 10:37 PM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Restaurant

Indigo
101 Rosendale Road, Dulwich SE21 8EZ
Web: http://www.indigo-restaurant.co.uk/
Email: indigo@msn.co.uk
Phone: 0871 811 1482

#2 croesus

croesus

• Sponsors
  • 234 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 09:19 AM

I had a takeaway from Indigo last week after it was recommended by some friends. It was the best I've had since Bengal Spice in Tulse Hill closed down. That means I preferred it to takeaways from Red Rose, Ghurka Cottage, Palace Tandoori, Gousia, Poppadom, Chutneys and Lal Baag. It's been a tough few months :P

#3 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 09:58 AM

Is that where Manzils used to be? Had many a drunken teenage night in there after drinking in the Rose.

croesus, what were the prices like?

#4 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 10:40 AM

Did they deliver, Croesus, or did you have to collect?

Definitely need a decent Indian takeaway. Haven' had a decent one for ages!
Rachel
My link

#5 croesus

croesus

• Sponsors
  • 234 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 01:46 PM

They delivered, and both the guy on the phone and the guy who brought the food (possibly the same) were very friendly. Prices were fairly cheap restaurant prices, so slightly higher than pure takeaway. Say five-pounds-something for a main dish, rather than four-pounds-something. I don't have the menu to hand, so I can't remember exact prices I'm afraid.

#6 Retired_Member_2

Retired_Member_2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 02:07 PM

Has anyone tried Shelina? I was a bit disappointed by the delivery currys in the area and came across this delivery only restaurant. Their Chicken Gramin (Tomato, Spinach and Potato) is very nice.

Will try Indigo next time we order a ruby

#7 Retired_Member_2

Retired_Member_2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 07 February 2005 - 10:58 AM

My girlfriend and I decided to try Indigo last night and we are very pleased we did! The food was very tasty and fresh and was better than anything I've tried in the "triangle" (although Shelina is still good). The staff were also very friendly and attentive. Will certainly be going back!

#8 keziahthomas

keziahthomas

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 01:30 PM

I have been there twice and I love the food BUT I'll never go again as the manager was so rude last time. We had to wait 2 hours for our food and eveytime we asked where it was the manager just said 'coming, coming' in a very horrible way. One of the dishes didn't come until we'd finished our food.
Maybe it was a bad day but I've never been treated in such a rude manner in any restaurant ever.

#9 JGX

JGX

• Sponsors
  • 316 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 04:54 PM

Tried it last week, not impressed.

Food OK (but not as good as Gurkha Cottage) and a VERY, VERY long wait for food. When questioned about the delay, the manger said "we're very busy with deliveries"!!!! I suggested that he'd do better to look after his customers in the restaurant and he walked off!

JGX

#10 benpark

benpark

Ben Park

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 12:35 AM

Oh dear, all I can say is "What a shame!".

Firstly, let me just say that the food was great. It is above the standard of your average Indian restaurant and was not overpriced considering the quality. I went with three friends and we all agreed that the food was great. Compliments to the chef.

However, and this is a major however. Having gotten the number for the restaurant from this forum, I noticed some of the less than brilliant reports regarding the service and thought "no, I'll give it a try anyway". My mistake.

I had booked a table for four for 8:30pm on Friday. We arrived shortly after this and were greeted at the door with a simple "4?". Nothing else was said as we were showed to a table in the corner next to an area where the wall for some inexplicable reason had been papered over with plain paper stuck to the wall with masking tape. I had tried to say "I booked a table for four under the name of...", but the waiter clearly wasn't interested and simply showed us to the table. No attempt was made to take our coats or ask my name, and the waiter completely disappeared to leave us to seat ourselves. The restaurant was busy, but I would say that it was three quarters full. The waiting staff were obviously harried.

The waiter returned some five minutes or so later to ask us if we wanted any drinks or poppadoms. We ordered some poppadoms, but had not quite made our minds up about the drinks. However, as we were on the verge of confirming our drinks order (some 15 seconds later), the waiter stated with a huff "I'll get your poppadoms and come back for the drinks!". A great start, I thought, and started to worry that the reviews on here held some truth. When he retuned with the poppadoms, he took our drinks order. Shortly afterwards we got our drinks. Some fifteen minutes or so later and the waiter returned to take our main order. We all ordered, but had to repeat our order a number of times before he finally got it. To be perfectly honest, his attitude was one of indifference and appeared very short (not in stature, you understand).

Two of us had ordered starters and these arrived about 10-15 minutes later. They were quickly dispatched. However, it was some 60 minutes, and a bottle of wine later when we eventually felt annoyed enough to enquire after our main course. The waiters seemed nonplussed, saying that it would be with us in five minutes, before shooting off and refusing to hear anything further. A friend of mind was indignant, and decided to confront the manager. Much to our dismay (and amusement), he proceeded to patronise her by asking "do you know how difficult it is to run a restaurant?" and "our food is so good, it is worth the wait". He also said "tomorrow, we will have queues outside". And when he heard mention of Tandoori Nights in East Dulwich (very good, by the way), he said "they have a very small place, not very good". When we pressed him for why the food had taken so long to arrive (by this point we were all past being hungry), he stated that the takeaway orders took precedence, and that was why. We mentioned that he might want to consider that the people in the restaurant should come first, and he simply ignored the comment. To be fair, he did offer us a free bottle of wine, but upon serving it made a big deal of the gesture and expressed that we were no longer in a position to complain about the service considering the free wine. I beg to differ. The quality of the service for the rest of the meal remained extremely impersonal, bordering on rude (indeed, the manager was very rude), and we let him know in no uncertain terms that whilst his chef's food was very good, the service was appalling and we would not be returning. He didn't seem to care. More fool him.

I would strongly advise anybody thinking of going here not to bother. I had heard good things about the place but was left with a bitter taste in my mouth and sorely disappointed. The owner himself said "there are so many other places to go!", and he was right. In future, we will be picking one of them.

Avoid at all costs unless you are a fan of appalling service.

Edited by benpark, 11 March 2006 - 12:41 AM.

#11 Bogie

Bogie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 09:53 AM

indigo on rosendale road - :angry: all I can say is what a shame!. the food was great - complements to the chef - however i didn't expect an hour and a half wait for the pleasure. And after a rude reception from the staff, when asked when then the food might come, we waited... I then approached the manager - who frankly had never even heard of customer care - who grudingly gave us a complementary bottle of wine ( I think that the fact that we had finished the first bottle between two of us because we had waited sooooo long for out first course is shocking!) and then followed up by telling us there were pleanty of other paces to go go if we weren't happy... oh ***! All i can say is what a shame... the food is good... but franky the attitude that you are not worthy to eat it begs the question why you bothered to go there in the first place.

#12 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 01:32 PM

I would be very interested to know whether Benpark or Bogie left a tip?

The last time we went to this restaurant was in March 2005 and the food was excellent but, now I think about it, the service was extremely slow between courses.

This is my major bug bear in that you end up drinking so much wine in between courses you are too full and sozzled to fully enjoy your main meal.

( and, before anyone mentions restraint - i don't have any!)

Edited by charlie, 24 March 2006 - 01:33 PM.

#13 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 02:29 PM

I have yet to visit this one, and am not sure whether to now! However, I have had had home delivery. Food seems fine, but it should be noted that they make their saag paneer with cheddar cheese! An alarmingly growing tendency among Indian Takeaways it would seem!
Rachel
My link

#14 rachel

rachel

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 24 March 2006 - 02:35 PM

How can they call it sag paneer if it's not made with paneer?! :blink:

#15 Knights Hiller

Knights Hiller

• Sponsors