Photo

When building works go wrong- what to do.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 armidale3

armidale3

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 12 November 2014 - 02:35 PM

I got a recommendation from here of someone to do work. It has all gone wrong. How can you get the company to make good? Can you take them to court? Living nightmare.

#2 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 09:43 PM

With little to go on regarding the scope of the works, it is difficult for anyone to give any suggestions.  The initial questions that come to mind are:

Was there a signed contract or form of agreement that detailed the scope and costs of the works to be carried out, the standard of the finished works, a provision for any unforeseen works and how any agreed changes were to be charged and carried out?

Was planning permission or a legal development certificate required for the works?

Does the scope of the work require building control approval? i.e. electrical works in bathroom or kitchen, drainage, structural works, etc.

Does the contractor belong to a trade organization?

Had you informed your buildings insurer that the works were being carried out beforehand?

"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#3 armidale3

armidale3

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 03:55 AM

We'll no no and no. Essentially I got a building firm from a recommendation from one of the good VN ers. This firm asked for 1/3 up front... Lots of works needed doing and in effect buggier all got done. I got an email yesterday saying your 2500 is used up now. With no detailed invoices just a few bullet points.

#4 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:16 PM

It seems the contractor wants another advance payment before continuing with the works.  This is totally unacceptable.

A reasonable deposit reflecting the type of works at the start is acceptable, especially if the contractor has to pre-order custom materials (custom stairs, windows, etc.).  Interim invoices before the end of large works is acceptable for some materials that have been installed (kitchen units, bathroom suite, etc.).  Holding back an agreed 5% of the final invoice for, say, 6 weeks to ensure any problems that may arise do get fixed is not unreasonable in some cases.

I would certainly push for VAT invoices supported by clear details of time and materials used.

You could also approach trading standards for advice.

It would also be useful to get an impartial view of the situation.  This is obviously very stressful and emotional for you, so finding a third-party who could look at what has been agreed and actually carried out and charged.  This could be a friend of a friend with some building experience who could put the current situation in perspective.

If there is any works that affect safety or security (exposed wires, temporary supports, boarded windows, etc.), then you must make getting these sorted out a priority.  You should raise these concerns with the contractor in writing.   You should not pay anymore until any agreed work is carried out properly.

Realistically, this contractor has no incentive to carry on the works, is not out of pocket and any agreement was verbal.  You seem to have lost confidence in the ability of the contractor, so you should consider getting quotes from other contractors to complete the works.

Hope this helps put things in focus.

"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#5 armidale3

armidale3

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 09:30 PM

Thanks Borgus.

#6 burntsmell

burntsmell

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 10:17 PM

I hope this has got sorted out now - I am about to embark on getting some building work quotes shortly!