• This topic is locked This topic is locked
63 replies to this topic

#31 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 12:37 PM

http://www.tfl.gov.u...ext-steps.shtml

gives some details, Sylvester, including a possible opening date of 2013... (Mods perhaps we need a tram thread, apologies if I've missed it).

I've also heard on the grapevine that a public consultation is being planned on the Anerley Hill extension around the end of 2006 / early 2007.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#32 Liz29

Liz29

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 03:31 PM

Hello, does anyone know of a good airport taxi service? We need to go at 3am to Gatwick, so taxi is our only option really. Bee

We are going to Gatwick on Monday and have booked Zed Cars (020 8684 5151) in Thornton Heath. We were quoted £30 and he told me that they wouldn't sneakily increase it on the journey like some companies do, bless :D

They are reliable as we have used them many times before.

Hope this helps.

By the way, they are open all night I believe. Many's the times we've called them from our local at 4.00 am!!!

Edited by Liz29, 09 May 2006 - 04:29 PM.

#33 edlee

edlee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 02:53 PM

I can recommend Premier Cars (020 8778 7878) for runs to Gatwick. They charge £30 there and the same for the return journey (or did last time I used them - which admittedly was last September), which works out cheap and convenient if there are two of you sharing the fare. Journey I guess was about 30-40 minutes.

I think this rate applies 24 hours, we were picked up after midnight on the return trip and charged no extra. We also had the same driver for both journeys and he was polite and helpful. OK, so they were 5 minutes or so late picking us up for the trip home from Gatwick but they called me to tell me that they would be late.

A very good service for the price I think. :)

P.S. I've also found that Eagle cars have some rude and surly employees

#34 PersonalBest

PersonalBest

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 10:10 AM

I need to get to Gatwick at an ungodly hour from Gipsy Hill.

Can anyone recommend a reliable firm?

#35 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 12:58 PM

I always use one of the local mini cabs - just give them a buzz when you wake up the morning of the departure to make sure everything is in order ....
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#36 Zirconium

Zirconium

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 01:34 PM

Get a taxi to East Croydon Station - then 15 min to Gatwick.

#37 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 01:53 PM

I used Station Cars - the taxi firm next to Crystal Palace train station. They charged me 30, which seems to be a standard charge, to get me there for 5am recently. You can also book them to collect you if you're returning at a similarly ungodly hr :)
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#38 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 02:16 PM

Are there any local cab firms that are still small businesses? We got a cab to Heathrow back in July and had some real hassle with the fare being marked up massively on the return journey. When we spoke to the company, it transpired they had been bought up and the company we thought we'd booked with no longer existed. I'm not 100% sure which firm it was now but they were based in CP.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#39 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 02:48 PM

Airport - Home is usually much much higher than home-Airport .... I know for experience

:-(
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#40 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 05:37 PM

I hate the way they use the excuse that they waited since the time your plane arrived. I don't believe them - they know how long it will take you to get through passport control and pick up your luggage so you're not telling me they aren't fitting another job in. The other thing is when they aren't where they say they will meet you. They are strangely elusive and then they tack another lot of money on your fare. Happened to me both in Rome and at Heathrow.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#41 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 07:14 PM

Station Cars as above have collected me in the early hours a few times now, no problem, also for 30 - I just add 30 mins onto the flight arrival time for collection to enable me to collect my luggage etc, and they've always been waiting for me promptly.
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#42 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 13 November 2007 - 01:28 PM

Are there any local cab firms that are still small businesses? We got a cab to Heathrow back in July and had some real hassle with the fare being marked up massively on the return journey. When we spoke to the company, it transpired they had been bought up and the company we thought we'd booked with no longer existed. I'm not 100% sure which firm it was now but they were based in CP.

Gekko - sounds like Queens Cars - their fares have gone up phenomonally since being taken over. They quoted us 111 for a people carrier for 6 - 3 local collections to Gatwick - scandalous - I got the impression that the firm which has taken them over is trying to set up a monopoly. Decided to phone around and got 2 further quotes for around 60/70 - ( Station cars was one) & ended up using a Streatham cab firm who were brilliant. We arranged for the same driver to pick us up for the return and no complaints when the plane arrived 45 minutes late. Terrific service - will try and find the contact details. we were advised that the return price would be slightly higher because of the parking fee.

#43 Rom

Rom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 03:32 PM

Has anyone got a phone number for Station Cars (The one next the CP train station)?
thanks

#44 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:37 PM

Did you check our wiki? We have a list of numbers for local cab companies.

Just visit the Travel page - Station Cars is listed.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#45 nico

nico

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:52 AM

Hi, I need to get to Gatwick at 5am on Friday. I just looked at the nationalrail site and they say that trains run all through the night from East Croydon to Gatwick. Is that right? I always thought that they stopped for a few hours in the middle of the night.