• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#16 CapitAl

CapitAl

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:26 PM

The petition has reached the magic 5,000!

On a related matter I've been pressing Bromley (John.stephenson@Bromley.gov.uk) on whether Bromley regarded the Watchnight event on New Years Eve as religious -it plainly was, but want to know whether Bromley will admit it!

Maybe other local residents can email him and ask as well?

Al

#17 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:31 AM

Also the GIPSY HILL WARD Councillers seem to have been strangley silent ( some would say useless as usual). Whereas every other councillor in every other ward in the surrounding area has responded and objected these lot seem to have done nothing so can we please bombard their email boxes and ask what exactly are they doing. They especially need Lambeth planners to object to this application.

mpbennett@lambeth.gov.uk;

nrfrancis@lambeth.gov.uk;
jbrathwaite@lambeth.gov.uk;

valerie.shawcross@london.gov.uk;
jowellt@parliament.uk;

#18 MissLizzie

MissLizzie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 02:30 PM

Dear Gipsy HIll Ward Councillors,

Local residents (including myself) have had little or no response from your office regarding our objections to the KICC's planning application for 25 Church Road, SE19. 

I wondered if someone would be able to go beyond Tessa Jowell's auto reply and address the community with your position? May I suggest via the website for the PicturePalace Campaign, or the local forum - virtualnorwood.co.uk

It is incredibly disappointing to feel that our ward is the only one that is not being represented in the debate.

#19 jamesl

jamesl

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 12:13 AM

Dear Matthew

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Perhaps it is a question of better communication or visibility. I did check your website and kept a look out for a newsletter but saw nothing publicising the steps you were taking.

I am pleased that you have lodged an objection but would ask you to impress upon Lambeth's planning team that, as a major application, it ought to be reviewed and any planning or highways concern raised with their counterparts in Bromley.

This was the approach taken on 2009 and one major issue is addressing the very technical issues raised in the Transport Assessment which are very difficult for a layperson to challenge and really require an expert review by your Highways team

Any influence you coukd bring to persuade Lambeth planners to review the application would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

James

Date:Thu, 15 Jan, 2015 at 10:07 AM
Subject:Re: 25 Church Road , Crystal place - what are your views please ?

Hi James,

Hope this finds you well. 

In sorry you feel this way. First, let me be clear that we've been aware of the application and have already submitted a representation on behalf of GH residents and, secondly, that we spoke to Tessa's office before Christmas on the application. You may also be aware that I work part-time in the office of Steve Reed, the MP for Croydon North and so have worked on the response from that side too. 

We've always been strong supporters of the cinema campaign and to date have been cc'd into several hundred emails on the matter - and that strength of local opinion, along with parking stress and loss of amenity are the points that I have made to Bromley. 

All best wishes,

Matthew

Cllr Matthew Bennett
Labour, Gipsy Hill
Cabinet Member for Housing
London Borough of Lambeth

Sent from my iPhone

:

Dear Councillors

It is disappointing that:
  • having drawn your attention to this planning application; and
  • the actions taken by your Labour counterparts in Bromley and Croydon and two Labour constituency MP's, to object to it; and
  • the widespread concerns of local residents (5090 of  whom have signed the petition opposing it in just over a week
 I have not had the courtesy of an acknowledgment of my e-mail of Monday 12 January (copied below)  let alone had any indication of what steps you are taking/intending to take in relation to one of the most contentious planning issue in the area.

I would be grateful for some indication of your views and intentions as the elected representatives of Gipsy Hill Ward please.

E-mail Monday 12 January 2015

Dear Matthew, Jennifer and Niranjan

I am writing as a constituent of Gipsy Hill ward to express my dismay and disappointment at what appears to be a total lack of engagement by my elected local representatives in the debate concerning KICC's latest plans for 25 Church Road, Crystal Palace. 

The proposed D1/D2 mixed use application is deeply unpopular and unsupported by a huge number of local residents in Lambeth, Croydon and Bromley - as is evident from the fact  that the petition against the proposals has attracted over 4000 signatures in less than a week.

Despite this there has been near silence from my ward councillors -in stark contrast to your Labour ward colleagues in Croydon and Bromley,  who have been highly visible and involved in this matter. 

Further Steve Reed MP has signed the petition and Dame Tessa Jowell MP has submitted a written objection to Bromley Council.

There are substantial and important  reasons to scrutinise this proposal, and object to it., not least because of KICC's parking proposals which include utilising already heavily used parking on residential streets adjacent to the Triangle. 

I would urge you to review the proposed application as a matter of urgency and use your resources influence and time, as councillors, to represent the interests and wishes of your constituents in this matter and :
  • Publicise this important planning application
  • Canvass the views of residents
  • Object to Bromley Council, as required
  • Lobby Lambeth's Highways and planning team to carefully scrutinise the application and make representations to Bromley Council (as it did in 2009) within the next 10 days
Further information can be obtained here http://cinema4crystalpalace.org.uk/guidance-on-how-to-object-to-kiccs-planning-application-for-change-of-use-of-25-church-road-please-act-now/ 
 and here 

UUAVGoRxstcmoAM-580x326-noPad.jpg
Bromley council Statutory Planning Authority: Refuse KICC's application for change of use of 25 Church Road
www.change.org

Kind regards

#20 Trux

Trux

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:58 AM

Nice on, jamesl.

#21 The Joker

The Joker

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 02:58 PM

Petition signed and email raising my objections submitted to Bromley council last night.

#22 CapitAl

CapitAl

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 05:32 PM

I recieved a reply from John Stephenson at Bromley, on whether the Watchnight service was a religous event or not. Diasppointing, but not surprising they have taken the path of least resistance:

I am sorry for the delay in giving a full response to the event that took place on New Year's Eve/Day at 25 Church Road, SE19 2TE.

I can confirm that this matter has been discussed with our legal team and the evidence I gathered on the day of the event and what I had observed and witnessed during and after the event has been noted by officers.

I will also confirm that this event was deemed to be a Gospel concert and not a church or religious service, and therefore no Breach of planning control has been established in this instance .

The event programme involved 85% singers with accompanied band and 10% children performing some short sketches as a performance and 5% video playback.

The songs had a religious tone as most Gospel would have, and praise of God and Jesus was strongly present in the performances from the artist on stage.

There was no evidence of any actual preaching or worship which would normally be expected at a regular church service from a Pastor, Father, or Vicar for example

It was evident that the approximate amount of people in attendance on the night ranged from between 200 and 650 in total.

I hope this information is of some assistance.

Yours sincerely,

#23 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 07:07 PM

Thanks for following up Capit Al. This event was clearly toned down as they knew it would be monitored during the planning application period. And I am sure that the congregation would have been asked to avoid breaking into prayer as has been witnessed before. A deliberate tactic by KICC which Bromley have fallen for. For the avoidance of doubt, Bromley licensing were absolutely clear and unequivocal that the previous two watchnight  services were services/acts of worship. In 2012, they even picked up a leaflet inside the building which backed this up. KICC are playing a cunning game. They recorded the event and put it up on You-tube. 

Not sure Bromley's legal team or John Stephenson understands that evangelical ministering is done via the music and song.

What is interesting is that between 200 - 650 people turned up and there was parking chaos. Well over the 400 expected for their church services which is good indication of the real numbers of congregation that KICC will be expecting to turn up - more like 800-1000 as per their previous D1 events. 

Edited by charlie, 19 January 2015 - 07:08 PM.

#24 CapitAl

CapitAl

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 08:36 PM

Well even with the "toned" down event I would argue "praise of god and Jesus was strongly present" makes it a religious service. I will be writing back to John Stephenson accordingly. I shall ask specifically what criteria they are using to judge it as not being a religious service.

Al

#25 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 10:38 AM

When KICC themselves say its a major religious event

http://www.kicc.org....74/Default.aspx

http://en.wikipedia....chnight_service

A watchnight service is a late-night Christian church service. In many different Christian traditions, a watchnight service is held late on New Year's Eve

You have to think  Mr Stephenson is deliberately pretending not to realise a religious serivce isn't neccesary something he was used to growing up and he was expecting something the local vicar of the parish does at his service to happen or he didn't do his research ( same goes for the risk adverse legal bods at Bromley). Considering it has been flagged up to him and his department many times what a Pentecostal service is its more to do with sticking his head in the sand.

• Posie likes this

#26 Trux

Trux

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 05:59 PM

Anyone need any nails banged in? My head can't stop making that faceplanting motion.

#27 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:19 PM

Both Lambeth and Croydon are asking for views on this so be sure to object here as well and get local councillors to object and make sure their planning departments put in objections as they did to the last application.

Lambeth

14/06962/OBS | Observations on a proposed development within the adjoining Borough of Bromley with respect to a change of use from Bingo Hall Class D2 to mixed Class D1 (church) and Class D2 (Assembly and Leisure) use. | Adjoining Borough Observations Within Bromley

http://planning.lamb...l=NHEFQ6BO0GH00

Croydon

14/05342/CC | Change of use from Bingo Hall Class D2 to mixed Class D1 (church) and Class D2 (Assembly and Leisure) use | 25 Church Road, Anerley, London, SE19 2TE

http://publicaccess....YD_DCAPR_144379

Last chance to let Croydon know so object to them.

Also I'm a bit worried as Lambeth doesn't seem to allow public comments so how do we contact and get them to object as they did last time?

#28 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:39 PM

If you can just forward any objection you have made to Bromley/Croydon to Lambeth these email addresses

JVale@lambeth.gov.uk
planning@lambeth.gov.uk

Subject title

OBJECTION :14/06962/OBS | Observations on a proposed development within the adjoining Borough of Bromley with respect to a change of use from Bingo Hall Class D2 to mixed Class D1 (church) and Class D2 (Assembly and Leisure) use

#29 Macadamia

Macadamia

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:49 PM

If you can just forward any objection you have made to Bromley/Croydon to Lambeth these email addresses

JVale@lambeth.gov.uk
planning@lambeth.gov.uk

Subject title

OBJECTION :14/06962/OBS | Observations on a proposed development within the adjoining Borough of Bromley with respect to a change of use from Bingo Hall Class D2 to mixed Class D1 (church) and Class D2 (Assembly and Leisure) use

Done.  Objection also sent on to Croydon Council.  It is at least encouraging to see an outbreak of cross-Borough working between our Councils ...

• charlie likes this

#30 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 01:20 PM

AA couple of local stories here about this application

http://www.newsfromc...ace.co.uk/news/
  • charlie likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: picture palace campaign, 25 Church Road, cinema for crystal palace