Photo

The Cambridge

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (28 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (2 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

2. Good (7 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Average (2 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

4. Poor (17 votes [60.71%])

Percentage of vote: 60.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 02:06 PM

Is there an update on this?

#32 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 29 May 2007 - 07:59 AM

Not been in there for ages but the word is that it is still up for sale.

Previous news about being turned into a restaurant obviously came to nothing... I think the price may have dropped as well...
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#33 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 17 August 2007 - 12:11 PM

The Cambridge, as far as I know, remains up for sale.

Not sure of the exact state of play but passed by here earlier in the week and new staff in there again and running pretty empty. A mature lady drinking halves of Guinness and a few blokes playing pool was about the sum of customers.

I hadn't expected it to exist in its present form this far... but it can't go on like it is for much longer. Or maybe it will carry on in exactly the same way for the next 30 years and outlive every other pub in the area.
I'm not a betting man....
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#34 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 12 November 2007 - 10:34 AM

Only 8 people in the pub and it felt bit awkward as I think they looked at me like the new boy (so to speak) in town . I think that apart me and 3 gay ladies the remainder were former local pub goer (straight). The pub looks good, might need a lick of paint and a little revamp to make it look a little bit more comfortable. I will probably try to get there with a larger group of friends.
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#35 theatreboi

theatreboi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 07:59 PM

Evening all - was wonderin if anyone can throw some light on this for me! I hear that the Cambridge Pub on the corner opposite Westow House is now a gay pub? I spied the rainbow flag on the UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT sign so kinda thinkin its true! Anyone been in yet?

Edited by gekko, 15 November 2007 - 10:03 AM.
broken tags

#36 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 08:41 PM

Yes it's gay - yes I have been in there - yes it is very nice!!! Interesting to see the same elderly gents siting in there as if nothing has happened. They seem to enjoy having the young ladies around!!

#37 theatreboi

theatreboi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 09:37 PM

haha - cool! will have to pay a visit then!!

#38 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 08:36 AM

Having popped out late to watch the football the Westow & Patricks was a bit packed so popped into here.

Its a bit of a strange one this one. They had the football on mute as it was not setanta so we were denied the foreign accents on the commentary.
The aroma of the toilets wasn't very agreeable with a pint so at half time a quick stroll to the Alma was called for.

Still I suppose it adds to the mix of the pubs in the Palace.

#39 RetiredMember1

RetiredMember1

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 11:08 AM

Are you sure it's gay?! I've been past twice in the evening in the last week and the clientele seemed to be a mixed crowd of pretty chavvy-looking straight-seeming early-20-somethings, and the only flag in evidence was the St George Cross! That's not to say that gays and lesbians can't be straight-acting patriotic chavs too, but it's the most unlikely 'gay' crowd I've ever seen! The noise from the karaoke?/live entertainment? and, on the other night, the techno-tastic DJ was something else - I imagine they'll be getting some complaints soon from residents and other businesses... It certainly seems to be hugely popular, though, judging by the crowds seen through the now-netless windows last Saturday!

Edited by GillW, 24 April 2009 - 11:10 AM.

#40 teri267

teri267

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:09 PM

I don't think it is a gay pub anymore, as the picture of the Freedom flag outside was removed a while ago. I heard that new management have taken it over, and they are obviously trying to drum up new business (and suceeding, which is always nice to see) by offering 'free shots for the ladies' and having a host of DJ's on nearly ever night. However, this is not appreciated by local residents (well, me anyway) - especially DJ Dooby at 1am on a Sunday night!!!! It was my choice to move near to a pub, so I can't really complain, but it would be nice if they could just restrict the noise to Fri and Sat nights, please... :(

#41 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:40 PM

I wonder if it's attracting some of the folk who used to go to Jack Beard's before it closed? That might help explain why it's really busy all of a sudden.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#42 teri267

teri267

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:41 AM

I wasn't sure whether this post should be under reviews of The Cambridge, or if it should be a separate post under news/issues?

This morning one of my neighbours came to me to ask what could be done about the noise coming from this pub. Last night they had music blaring until 5am!! My neighbour actually got up and went over to the pub to ask them to keep the noise down, only to be met by a barrage of f-words!

As I said before in another post, we did choose to live near to a pub, so cannot really complain about late night noise at weekends - but surely 5am on a Sunday night is too much??? This often happens in the week too.

Does anyone know if something can be done about it? Obviously the landlord is not willing to cooperate or consider keeping the noise down - can we complain to the council? Does anyone have any experience of this or can offer advice?

It seems a shame because the pub is doing well (I gather it hasn't done for a long time), and we don't want to stop the music altogether - just get them to cut it off at a reasonable time - be considerate of the residents in the immediate area!!

#43 moc

moc

Myofascial Bodywork

• Sponsors
  • 763 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:57 AM

I'm sure that's not allowed, Teri. Have you looked up noise pollution control for Bromley? http://www.bromley.g...noisy_party.htm

Even tho this link refers to a party, I'd say give them a call and see what your options are?
Integrated Myofascial Release Therapy, Sports/Remedial and Deep Tissue Massage and the Full Body MOT service in Crystal Palace and Streatham: www.myofascial-bodywork.com / @SW16Massage

#44 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:13 AM

I have to agree the noise/music yesterday teatime onwards from the pub was incredible Ive never heard it so loud from a pub before, I was in Farquar Road walking up to Westow House pub and i could hear it from there. From the chalk boards outside it was advertising 'DJ Dooby' whoever that is... :blink: When we were in Westow House the music had to be turned up (minus having the doors & windows wide open like the Cambridge) to disguise the din from over at the Cambridge!!! Lets hope that was a one-off! :huh:

Edited by twinkle, 18 May 2009 - 10:14 AM.

For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#45 teri267

teri267

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 10:47 AM

Unfortunately DJ Dooby is not a one-off! I have been kept awake by his music on a couple of occasions now,and I have also had friends, who frequent the triangle or live nearby, comment on the volume of the music before!

I will check with the council about the acceptable levels of noise. Thank you for the helpful link Moc!