Photo

The Cambridge

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (28 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (2 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

2. Good (7 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

3. Average (2 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

4. Poor (17 votes [60.71%])

Percentage of vote: 60.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 07:45 PM

It is the one pub in the triangle I have never ventured into - in all my 20 + years of living here. Mind you, it has survived all that time so it must be doing something right...

#62 St. Lukes Railings

St. Lukes Railings

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 12:24 AM

SL. I refuse to believe that there is a licensed establishment you havent been into in the triangle. I will Virtually mod deduct you rep points for this.

It's actually OK in there though first impressions look not good. Me and the missus went in there a while back while bored. Thought we'd do a crawl of the pubs we hadnt been to around here. Alma...didnt like though we've warmed to it now. G & G before it was G & G which was a dive. Then the Cambridge where I wiped the floor with her at darts.....also the scene of when I wiped the floor with of a fellow poster at pool. If pool was a sport I'd be out in New Delhi at the moment hobnobbing with Tom Daley and Rebecca Adlington with our medals round our necks, sharing a lassi or two. Not the dogs, thats Korea

#63 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 08:28 AM

SL. I refuse to believe that there is a licensed establishment you havent been into in the triangle. I will Virtually mod deduct you rep points for this.....

I know, it's astonishing isn't it :blink: I did poke my nose into the famous three: Swan, the Sportsman and the Cambridge when I first landed in CP 20 odd years ago, but the rest of my body was not inclined to follow!

#64 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 10:42 AM

I did poke my nose into the famous three: Swan, the Sportsman and the Cambridge when I first landed in CP 20 odd years ago, but the rest of my body was not inclined to follow!

That made me laugh SL. We also did that with the Cambridge after reading Uncle Wilf's rave reviews of it years ago. We didn't step over the threshold though! Never felt inclined to try the Hollybush either.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#65 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 15 October 2010 - 11:37 PM

There always seems to be more bouncers on the door than people actualy in the pub.
Not sure what message that sends out?

#66 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:18 PM

This is now also a potential "place to stay": cards in the window are advertising guest rooms at 30 a night.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#67 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:27 PM

This is now also a potential "place to stay": cards in the window are advertising guest rooms at 30 a night.

Yikes! I hope they bring their ear-plugs..

#68 Palace_denizen1

Palace_denizen1

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:59 AM

...... and things was looking a bit tasty outside the cambridge. It looked like Fight Night. I would steer clear friday pm and saturday pm for sure unless of course I erm wanted some (coughs).

yup, also witnessed an unofficial cage warrior night spilling out onto the street from that pub. But no sign of a referee

#69 Ziwa

Ziwa

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 04:22 PM

Would it be scurrilous of me to suggest that perhaps people don't spend the whole night? <_<

#70 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:26 PM

Saw somewhere - (am sure it was on here, though cant find the link) that the licence for the Cambridge was being reviewed by Croydon council due to certain issues - apparently the club down the stairs below the red canopy in the parade row of shops and cafes (deejays or something)has kind of shifted its focus of operation to this place - after having had its licence revoked by Lambeth (though it seemed to be functioning there for ages thereafter)

anyway - just thought Id make a comment about it in this section

#71 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 07:55 PM

Saw somewhere - (am sure it was on here, though cant find the link) that the licence for the Cambridge was being reviewed by Croydon council due to certain issues - apparently the club down the stairs below the red canopy in the parade row of shops and cafes (deejays or something)has kind of shifted its focus of operation to this place - after having had its licence revoked by Lambeth (though it seemed to be functioning there for ages thereafter)

anyway - just thought Id make a comment about it in this section

http://www.crystalpa...ld-lose-licence

CAMBRIDGE PUB COULD LOSE LICENCE & "MORLEY'S MUST SHUT" SAYS - COUNCILLOR

THE CAMBRIDGE pub on the corner of Westow Hill and Church Road is in danger of losing its licence, the latest meeting of Upper Norwood Improvement Team has been told.

Sgt Andy Inglis of Upper Norwood Safer Neighbourhood Team told the UNIT meeting at the Queen's hotel that his colleagues at Crystal Palace Safer Neighbourhood Team were doing a lot on the licensing front."regarding the Cambridge pub and issues that are coming from it."

"The licence will probably be revoked and they will look to see what they can do with the venue" he added.

"There's been issues with the door staff, the clientele, the way the venue is run" said Sgt Inglis.

When Dyjarn's nightclub on Crystal Palace Parade was closed by Lambeth "all the clientele from Dyjarn's went into The Cambridge - and the problems went along with it"he added.

#72 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 08:06 PM

yeah thanks - that was it!

#73 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:29 PM

noticed the other day they had chalked outside "free entry before 1am" - not sure when theyre licensed to but would be surprised if it was any later than that

#74 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 08:37 PM

noticed the other day they had chalked outside "free entry before 1am" - not sure when theyre licensed to but would be surprised if it was any later than that

Blimey ... I guess that other places close at 1pm and they mop up the party all night crowd :huh:

Edited by Summit Lover, 14 June 2011 - 08:37 PM.

#75 Miss Chips

Miss Chips

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:46 PM

I can't stand The Cambridge - I live round the corner from there and dread walking past it on the way home. It doesn't matter what time of the day/night it is, there are always dodgy people hanging around! We often get a 'spillage' of clientele onto our road late at night with fighting, screaming etc so I'd be pretty happy for these guys to take their issues elsewhere!