Photo

The Gipsy Hill Tavern

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (30 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (11 votes [36.67%])

Percentage of vote: 36.67%

2. Good (10 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Average (7 votes [23.33%])

Percentage of vote: 23.33%

4. Poor (2 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 04:53 PM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Pub

The Gipsy Hill Tavern
79 Gipsy Hill, London, SE19 1QH

Phone: 020 8761 6533

#2 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 05:01 PM

I used to go here a lot when I lived nearby. It can be a really nice pub especially on a lazy w'end afternoon. Unfortunately it suffers from 2 problems:

Occasionally below par barstaff (they seem to have a high turnover) - although Cathy, the wee Scots lady, is fantastic.

And too loud music (fine on a Friday/Saturday night but a bit pointless early evening on a weekday when there are only 4 customers).

Lovely tiles, though.

#3 mefisto

mefisto

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 05:30 PM

I drop in here after work quite frequently for "just the one" pint :wacko: (alternating with the Railway Bell), but it does lack a certain atmosphere though - I think it has a bit of a waiting room feel to it. Does anyone know why the wednesday night quiz night was dropped? It was always a really good laugh and the quiz master was great - he seemed to really know his stuff (always v topical) rather than having just cribbed the questions off the internet.

#4 Laura78

Laura78

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 07:34 PM

I popped in here today whilst waiting for the Estate Agent and was really pleasantly surprised! The barman was very friendly and helpful and I loved the atmosphere of the place, even though we were almost the only ones in there (bear in mind it was 11.30am). I will certainly return of an evening if and when the flat purchase goes through....

Edited by Laura78, 21 February 2005 - 10:11 PM.

#5 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 09:48 AM

Laura, it does tend to be much nicer during the day. The evenings are often too packed / loud, but do give it a try and let us know.

#6 Laura78

Laura78

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 10:10 PM

Thanks Andy, will let you know...

#7 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 04:12 PM

Haven't been for ages but used to enjoy the quiz night and table football. Cathy is always very friendly.

It's an amazing building!

#8 drummerboy

drummerboy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 12:44 AM

It needs a refurb its looking a bit late 90's
They should get a kitchen serve food. Gipsy Hill needs a pub that serves grub.I reckon it'd do really well especially for Sunday Lunch.
They need some real ale in there. Apart from The Railway Bell and the awful Whetherspoons there is no where that serves real ale.

#9 Liliput

Liliput

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 02:34 PM

I've waited in here a few times for friends, waiting to see a flat and always felt at ease, looks like a great local where you could happily be a bar fly and watch the commuters go by.

#10 loplop

loplop

• Sponsors
  • 687 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 11:37 AM

A real cracker.
Probably my favourite in the entire area.
A good crowd and very friendly.

Along with The Railway Bell round the corner, 2 reasons why i almost never make it up the hill, apart from after closing time.
a carrot is as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond

blow

#11 croesus

croesus

• Sponsors
  • 234 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 06:32 PM

Went here with Mrs Croesus for the first time for lasties on Monday night. As you'd expect it was pretty quiet, but both the bar staff were friendly. We sat outside (amazingly warm for October, isn't it!) in the small-but-pleasant-enough garden. A Scottish barmaid (Cathy I'd guess) even brought us a little candle so we weren't sitting in the dark.

All in all I thought it was a very pleasant local - one of the best I've come across in the Norwoods. I agree that the beer selection could be better though. I wish more pubs would break free of the four-standard-taps approach to draft beer. London's generally grim for that though.

#12 loplop

loplop

• Sponsors
  • 687 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:49 PM

yep, croesus, its a great boozer, always very friendly and a fine place to wile away an hour or so.
Its very handy for me, perfect for when i need to wait for mrs L returning from work after me.....
"you've missed the train ? oh well, never mind, i'll still be here..."
Only qualm...that blessed video-jukebox which tends to always be on even when no-one is paying any attention to it.
a carrot is as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond

blow

#13 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 10:30 AM

Nice pub but range of beers is very unimaginative... at least it was the other month...
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#14 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:49 AM

What's this pub like nowadays? There haven't been any reviews of this pub for nearly two years. Has it changed/improved/declined? I alway mean to give it a try but then always seem to end up in The Mansion - which in my opinion looks more inviting from the outside. I only just realised it had a garden from reading these posts.
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#15 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 22 June 2007 - 11:52 AM

Pleasant enough garden... more of a pub than a gastropub which is essentially what the Mansion is.

Usual suspects of lagers on tap to the best of my knowledge.

Decent enough I think... but a walk down the hill and walk back up again for Uncle Wilf so don't go there often...
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales