Photo

The Gipsy Hill Tavern

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (30 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (11 votes [36.67%])

Percentage of vote: 36.67%

2. Good (10 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Average (7 votes [23.33%])

Percentage of vote: 23.33%

4. Poor (2 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 theatreboi

theatreboi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 11:55 PM

hey all - dunno if you have been in yet or not, but Jess and Laura from BBC2 show The Restaurant have started to do food here fri-sun! was in there on sunday afternoon and sampled some of their food and its GORGEOUS!!! very reasonably priced and wholesome! I had bangers and mash - with spinach mash and onion gravy! and then banoffee pie for after which was amazing! all home-made! get in there and try it!!

#17 rennie

rennie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 09:44 AM

Are they still serving food there? What time on the weekend?

#18 Billy S

Billy S

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:42 PM

Was in on Sunday and not impressed at all. Toilets were filthy and covered in grafitti. Headed off to The Mansion, which seems to be better...
Love The Triangle...

#19 rennie

rennie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:40 PM

Apparently, there's a new landlord and no comedy club anymore. What a shame!

#20 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 09:44 PM

I reckon the place needs sorting out. The beer and atmosphere were terrible every time I visited... Good luck to the new gaffer I say.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#21 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:31 PM

I play darts down there occassionally with a mate - its always nice and empty midweek! which is a bonus as were aboth crap and sometimes end up going nearest the bull

#22 Andy

Andy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 07:46 PM

Had quite a good few beers in here on Friday on the way home from work, and spoke to the new landlord. They are currently redecorating the entire pub, putting in a stone oven thing (for pizza's)and generally giving it a bit of a make over.

There is also going to be a reopening party happening this Friday with live music, which does look for quite a good night out.

All in all, decent local pub and friendly staff. Will definately pop in there more regularly.

#23 Gipsy

Gipsy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 07:28 PM

I know in the grand scheme of things there are many other things to complain about, but that green colour they are painting the outside is really awful

#24 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 08:49 AM

I thought it must be undercoat.

#25 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 17 October 2008 - 09:28 AM

HA HA my partner and I said exactly the same thing driving past yesterday - I was a agast by the peppermint cream colour and she said no no that MUST be the undercoat - here's hoping (praying)!!!!
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#26 Gipsy

Gipsy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 03:07 PM

So not my favourite colour scheme, but it looks a bit better now. I wish they would redo the tarmac outside/plant some trees or something. Has anyone been since all of the refurbishments have been going on?

#27 grandzizi

grandzizi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:37 PM

The pub is completely different now. Frank the landlord is doing a good job, he has managed to keep out the undesireables and trouble makers. The place looks much better inside and the staff are much friendlier. The decor is good, with low ligting so a much nicer place for couples.

There is a new website for the pub. www.gipsyhilltavern.co.uk where you can see all the latest information on the entertainment.

I have been in there a lot more recently, last night to the new pub quiz which is hosted by Katrina a lovely Irish girl. All it needs now is some more peole through the door. They have made a big effort and it shows.

#28 andyk

andyk

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:02 PM

yeah I kind of felt sorry for the poor guy in the mornngs offering people hot coffee (free) only to be turned down by wary commuters (like myself).
atmosphere is weird though and in need of some younger bar staff. Is it run by an irish family?
The guys I saw at the bar last time with the landlord certainly looked like they wanted to keep trouble makers out...

#29 syenite01

syenite01

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 09:57 AM

Are they really giving away coffees??? I walk up the other way to GH station but i reckon i would leave 5 min early to collect a freebee.

#30 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 07:33 PM

We tried the place over the weeked, having not been there for a couple of years.

Our impressions were that it has a lovely, unusual tiled floor! Not quite so good from our point of view were the poor choice of wines (only 2, compared to the several on the board - the barman said they hadn't had the signwriter around for a while to amend), beer not too bad at all, grotty decor and seating (paint on walls looking v tired, uncomfortable and sparse seating, ladies loo seat hanging off and no soap).

To be fair though, they clearly aren't aiming the pub at women/couples. It seems pretty sports orientated and mainly full of men watching said sport. The locals clearly like the place and it seems quite successful as a result.