• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 John

John

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2005 - 07:19 PM

My great grandmother - maiden name Katharine Haley - was a Cook domestic who lived at 58 Central Hill Upper Norwood in 1889. Little else was known about her. What was 58 Central Hill.? Any Haley decendants in Upper Norwood ?

#2 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 04 February 2005 - 10:13 AM

Did she start working there then, or could she have been there for some time? What you really need to do is pop down the Family Records Office near Clerkenwell/Islington and look up that address on the 1891 census. You could also try looking her up on the 1881 census (online), if you haven't already done so. Knowing her birth place and date would be helpful with regard to this. If she is on there at the address you mentioned you can also find out who else lived there and what their occupations were.

http://www.familysea...arch_census.asp
Rachel
My link

#3 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 09 February 2005 - 12:56 PM

I'm not a Haley but have a couple of suggestions to add. Yes, familysearch is really helpful. I'd also recommend a couple of other sites too, if you don't already know about them. FreeBMD has access to birth, marriage and death records - much of the same info as the pay site 1837 online - though there are gaps it's still well worth a search if you have a very rough idea of your grandmother's birth date. It can at least help to narrow things down especially if you double check with censuses too. http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/

www.genesreunited.co.uk is good too - it's a commercial site run by the same people who run Friends reunited. I've just rejoined after my year's membership expired (it's only 7.50) - the real advantage is that you not only get a lot of tips on the message boards but you may well find Haleys and other distant relatives who have already done the legwork on the same family tree you're researching.

#4 Georgie

Georgie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 01:49 PM

This was a great link. I managed to back track on both my maternal great grandmother & great grandfather. They came from Croydon & Penge respectively. I must be returning to my roots because I have only moved to Norwood in last 18 months.

The good thing about it was the ease & speed of the site.

Thanks.

#5 landgraf

landgraf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 07:15 AM

I am looking for Michael Haley, great mate of Robert Landgraf 1950 to 1955, he lived in either
Casewich road west notwood or wolfington rd.

rob.Landgraf