• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 ISACC

ISACC

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 02:24 PM

Paxton Primary School is expanding from a one form entry to a three form, this involves the demolition of the school and a major development.

Whilst I understand the need for more school places the bulldozing of a small community school “overnight” without any consultation or consideration of the local community and environment is quite baffling!

Especially in view of the following fact quoted fro Lambeth’s publication -State of the Borough 2014

”Lambeth has a relatively young age profile. Although it is a largely residential borough, it is a destination for young working age people, rather than families.”

In light of this are we all not being a little to hasty? 

#2 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 04:04 PM

There is obviously a demand for school places, especially with the massive amount of flats built next door to the school in the last couple of years, hence the need why all the schools in the area have had every last inch of space built on.

I'm not sure it's being bulldozed overnight though as I thought it was being built whilst the school was still running and I have heard parents already at the school talking about the extension for a fair while.

Will obviously effect people living immediately near the school but I would doubt Lambeth refuse it. Saying that no application has been submitted so it may be scaled back a bit.

#3 CapitAl

CapitAl

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:12 PM

Second what Norwood lad said, it's been discussed by parents attending Paxton for about a year now. I also understand the plan is to keep the school open whilst the new build is happening.

Whilst the "State of the borough" publication might be true for Lambeth as a whole I'm not sure it applies to Crystal Palace in particular. I've lived here 20 years now and it seems that whereas back then people tended to move out after having kids,now they seem to stick around more. Only anecdotal I know, but in my street there's a lot more young families then when we moved.

#4 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:15 PM

Never seen so many scooters, prams, buggies, BabyBjörns and papooses in Crystal Palace. I'm sure a lot will be staying in the area placing considerable demand on primary school places.

#5 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 09:58 AM

I've lived here 20 years now and it seems that whereas back then people tended to move out after having kids,now they seem to stick around more. Only anecdotal I know, but in my street there's a lot more young families then when we moved.

That's a sign of getting older! :wacko:

"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#6 halfwayup

halfwayup

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 01:03 PM

I see they have started work to relocate the electricity substation (to the end of the site next to the pub I presume?). My neighbour said that the school will be 3 storeys high...not sure if that is just hearsay but I do wonder how they will manage the associated traffic increase.

On semi related note I wonder if a move to resident parking is on the cards as it is apparent that there are more and more cars competing for space around Gipsy Hill and its sidestreets these days

Edited by halfwayup, 19 April 2015 - 01:03 PM.

#7 wulfhound

wulfhound

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:26 AM

I see they have started work to relocate the electricity substation (to the end of the site next to the pub I presume?). My neighbour said that the school will be 3 storeys high...not sure if that is just hearsay but I do wonder how they will manage the associated traffic increase.

Paxton's catchment is tiny - and even when the school expands, it'll remain that way - especially if CPPS is further delayed. They need to adopt a school travel plan which reads quite simply, "WALK, YOU LAZY SO-AND-SO'S".

Edited by wulfhound, 28 April 2015 - 08:26 AM.

• halfwayup likes this

#8 GipsyHill

GipsyHill

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 10:56 AM

Proposal is here: http://www.gipsyhill...axton-Expansion Convenient timing with the planned "higher" density housing being planned for Central Hill Estate.  Shame, no one seems to assess Crystal Palace as a whole for planning where school expansion could be best managed.  

And in context, with its service and access to be from Cawnpore Street (by the the moved sub station). :https://www.google.c...IyRCX5IFV8A!2e0

#9 halfwayup

halfwayup

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:45 AM

urgh how ugly. I feel sorry for the people in Woodland Hill looking at that...

#10 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 12:03 AM

Wot about the loals in the bell !

Wot next polite letters to mind our p&qs whilst in the beer garden

dazza

Edited by Dazza, 19 May 2015 - 12:04 AM.

Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#11 halfwayup

halfwayup

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 08:04 PM

Annoyingly the database is down at the moment, but when it is back up you can see and comment on the plans by searching for se19 1pa here http://planning.lamb...ction=firstPage

#12 halfwayup

halfwayup

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 02:09 PM

Planning portal now up and running...

#13 halfwayup

halfwayup

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:53 PM

Gosh the current demolition allows you to see what the scale of the footprint at the front of the site is like. This is going to be one huge building

#14 halfwayup

halfwayup

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 01 October 2015 - 04:07 PM

Received an update from Lambeth - the recommendation is to approve.

It is being considered by the Lambeth Planning Application Committee on the 13 Oct from 7pm at the Karibu Centre sw9 7ph if anyone is keen on attending

#15 ISACC

ISACC

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 11:08 PM

Is there much point.  Looking at the demolition  so far  it is very much a "faire complet!"

Makes a whole mockery of planning applications as far as I am concerned.