Hyperlocal aka Online Community Sites for a Local Area

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:29 PM

Interesting coverage by the Beeb on an event discussing the future of sites like Virtual Norwood

Call to give community journalism more help

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-wales-34196830

I think the suggestion that local community web sites could be used to publish statutory notices is quite a good idea... it has propped up the newspaper sector with steady cash for many years.

• halfwayup likes this

European.vote - EU Referendum

#2 CapitAl

CapitAl

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 06:51 AM

I just wonder whether the local website model has already reached its peak and is now declining to be replaced by local facebook pages.

Compare the number of posts here over the last couple of years to that on the "Crystal Palace Local" facebook page.

#3 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 08:10 AM

Needs an owner who actually cares for the site instead it let wither on the vine. Vn was an excellent source of local news and views, not anymore, its dying on its arse.

• mickeyboy and halfwayup like this

#4 halfwayup

halfwayup

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 08:45 AM

I didn't know about Crystal Palace Local - thank you. As someone who moved back to the area recently I was intrigued by the decline in use of this site compared to 5 or so years ago

#5 BlueBottle

BlueBottle

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 01:05 PM

CapitAl - I hope you are wrong. I do not use FB and do not intend to so this Forum (plus News from CP) in my source of local info. 

#6 Posie

Posie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 01:07 PM

I agree with Norwood Lad, I pop over here usually to put posts on about local events I'm helping or appearing at, but that is probably about it, apart from the Cinema thread and the odd ones about other planning related issues there isn't much to see, the facebook page is up to the minute really, if a shot gets fired or a car speeds or a cat gets lost you will know about it fast lol! You should join halfway up!

#7 ChewderOde

ChewderOde

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:27 PM

Well most things evolve I guess - fairplay to Tim for setting up the facebook page and applying sensible rules like "keep it family friendly" which seemed to be the downfall for this site for a while and then CPlife, both of which now seemed to have pretty much crashed and burned. the facebook page seems more democratic than the angst hogged pages of these other sites so its reassuring to know sanity prevails

#8 CapitAl

CapitAl

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 09:42 PM

Hi Bluebottle

If you wanted to use the CP Local face book page, you could just set up a FB profile and not bother adding any friends,

then apply to join, its an automatic acceptance. In fact you can view the pages without actually joining the group  - although I think you do need to have a facebook profile to view.  However, there's no need to use FB as such to access the pages.

#9 Trux

Trux

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:58 PM

Well most things evolve I guess - fairplay to Tim for setting up the facebook page and applying sensible rules like "keep it family friendly" which seemed to be the downfall for this site for a while and then CPlife, both of which now seemed to have pretty much crashed and burned. the facebook page seems more democratic than the angst hogged pages of these other sites so its reassuring to know sanity prevails

It's in the nature of all things Internet to be ephemeral, so I fully expect the FB pages to be full of the croakings of the terminally left behind in a few years time. At that stage God knows how we'll communicate.

#10 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:44 PM

Sadly Crystal Palace Local and the other FB groups will never have the camaraderie that existed here on VN or Crystal Palace Liife. With the changes to FB, whilst it still has its place and yes , you do get up to the minute news and info, Crystal Palace Local is getting more boring by the day especially with the number of Sale posts which seem to dominate . The major advantage of sites like VN is the continuity, you can find everything in one place, one thread unlike the majority of posts on FB which are very repetitive and anything of interest drops away very quickly. Plus there are so many different groups it is hard to keep up. Trux is right though it is the nature of all things internet to be ephemeral, so maybe forums like VN will find their place again.  

Edited by charlie, 23 November 2015 - 10:44 PM.

• jbphoto likes this

#11 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:51 PM

Other local website/forums don’t seem as inactive as here with the East Dulwich Forum, Sydenham Forum and Forest Hill forum still seem quite active and up to date with news.

I guess a lot of the older posters on Vn have moved out of the area and as so little is posted here now it’s not attracting people here who seem to go to Facebook CP Local. As you say Facebook isn’t perhaps the best place for a local forum as long standing issues quickly get lost or duplicated . reoccurring threads covering the same subject matter than soon sinks down the page and lots of selling ads.

If you were on Facebook you would struggle to find the latest on the cinema or the history of it whereas here there are whole threads dedicated to it.

It doesn’t help here having an owner with little interest in the site.

• mickeyboy likes this

#12 Zirconium

Zirconium

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:18 PM

It doesn’t help here having an owner with little interest in the site.

I think that's a little unfair NL.  The site has always functioned well and is very rarely down and I think it is well laid out and easy to navigate.  It's true that there is much less activity here than in the past and I think that has more to do with the competition.  No one has mentioned Streetlife which seems to becoming very popular.  I guess VN needs a lot more active promotion locally - and that is difficult when the owner is not located in the area.  Incidentally NL I think your monitoring of local planning activity is extremely useful!

#13 Mawders

Mawders

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 08:55 AM

Seconded, the bit about NL's local planning knowledge.

I think admin banning 80% of the most regular posters may have had something to do with the loss of activity... but that's another story.

• mickeyboy likes this

#14 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 12:46 AM

I guess a lot of the older posters on Vn have moved out of the area

Hello from Sunny Sussex! I fully understand the comments about the rise and fall of activity levels on sites like VN but it largely depends on someone spending time and effort to build an online community. It also takes committment, daily input of one hour or more, for years. I had my share of banning people from VN under my reign of tyranny but privately owned sites are susceptible to libel action. Adults should be capable of self-moderation but sometimes people want to make a sport out of testing someone’s patience. Plus you need to curate an approachable climate for everyone else. Facebook has many shortcomings because it is in a blog format... you end up going round in circles with the same questions, and once it has scrolled off screen it’s pretty much lost into the ether... you can’t build up from that. Still, at least storage got cheaper... there used to be a time when forums were pruned down to reduce database sizes and hosting allowances. I’m pleased to see that VN is still up and running and hope it stays the course.

European.vote - EU Referendum