• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 01:44 PM

Does anyone know why one is called Street and t'other Hill. Any takers??

#2 Mango

Mango

Forum Fruit

• Sponsors
  • 772 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 01:54 PM

Sorry Charlie, no idea but here's an interesting link about the general history of the area
http://www.ideal-hom...n-to-suburb.htm
M A N G O

#3 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 01:55 PM

Not sure but we also have an other strange pairing of roads round the corner woodland road & woodland hill. Woodland rd is the steep hill running parallel with gipsy hill & woodland hill is as flat as pancake compared to the road.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#4 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 03:01 PM

I'm offering a donation to the Ilove VN and pin to the first person who can enlighten us. Does seem strange with woodland hill/st as well - perhaps its a CP peculiarity.

Thanks for the link Crushed Mango 2 - a very interesting and well put together article.

#5 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 11:18 PM

I second thanks crushed mango2 Have no idea about road hill thing.

#6 sampilger

sampilger

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 10:30 AM

Also, does anyone know who Westow was? They got a street, hill and park named after themselves...

#7 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 02:35 PM

I did a google on Westow etymology and came up with a page about a town called Westow in Yorkshire, http://www.thisisrye...ism/westow.html which said 'The name Westow derives from the original Wifestowe, meaning a place belonging to women.' Unless Westow hill as a road name has been around since (I would guess) Anglo-Saxon times, that meaning seems pretty unlikely though!

#8 pbradburn

pbradburn

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:38 PM

i remember reading somewhere that rich merchants bought up big villas in the area to put their mistresses in - it was a convenient staging post, far enough from their families and far enough from town for anyone to recognise them. Apparently the area lost out to st johns wood for this kind fo thing....

can't remember the source of the story - but i wish i could!

so......depending on the dates, then westow could indeed to something to do with giving to women!

#9 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 03:59 PM

I've just found a good map though you can only view small sections, of London and its suburbs from 1862. http://www.motco.com/Map/81006/ Searchable by road names (they only have ones ending in Rd or St, but I found Westow St). It looks like there was a large villa called Westow Villa along Church road (not where Westow Park is now but further down) - that would have been a good mistress hiding-place if ever there was one! :D Does anyone know about older maps than this which cover Norwood, though?

#10 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 05:57 PM

I just read that in 1800 the hamlet of Norwood ie The Triangle was made up of 20 farm houses and cottages which intersected the woods. The only pub was the Woodman (Westow Hill) It faced towards London. It also said that there was a windmill near to where the Albert is now and that the base could still be seen in 1982 No mention of how the name Westow came into anything.

#11 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 03:17 PM

Thanks for all the research Virtualers. Keep up the good work. I certainly like the idea of Westow meaning " A place belonging to Women"

Looking forward to reading about any new discoveries. The VN Pin is still up for grabs. ;)

Didn't the Woodman used to be where joanna's now is? :o

#12 Mango

Mango

Forum Fruit

• Sponsors
  • 772 posts

Posted 10 March 2005 - 12:01 PM

A windmill? Perfect place I should think - no mention of what it actually milled was there?
M A N G O