• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 alywin

alywin

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:51 AM

And the Antic (C&V Trading) plans were passed so I guess they will be open summer 2016. 

I was wondering what was happening there.  After all, C&V have been "closing down" for 11 months now, and there's what I thought was a new TO LET board up on the property.

#17 Mawders

Mawders

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:03 AM

Apparently C&V Trading will vacate the building in the new year.  We assume the To Let sign is back on display simply because the replacement one about the contract blew off in the gales.  Hope so anyway.

The 99p shop shuts down after Christmas and swiftly gets a refit and restock under the branding of its new overlords... Poundland,  And I hear very promising things about the old library in Maple Road but I'm saying nothing until contracts are signed.

#18 Mawders

Mawders

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:34 AM

The sale of the Blenheim Centre to a company with a good industry reputation for transforming retail centres has been completed.  Not clear what will happen to the shops yet but expect better simpler to use parking facilities as a minimum but also more pleasant approach to the centre via the square outside.

I'd be amazed if any changes involve the loss of Wilkos, a really popular money spinning presence in there

Edited by Mawders, 07 January 2016 - 09:35 AM.

#19 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:49 AM

These are the guys

http://www.nrr.co.uk...lio/development

#20 Mawders

Mawders

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 07:58 AM

Looks like residential on upper floor and extra shops on ground floor of the car park will be likely considerations judging on their previous successes.

Violet Bettys, the vintage and retro ladies wear shop, appears to be moving from Church Road to Penge.  Not clear from their tweet where in Penge they will be but another positive sign for Penge.  Sadly it's also probably a reflection of greedy rents on Church Road, where footfall is low compared to the rest of the Triangle, even on a Saturday.

#21 Norwood lad

Norwood lad

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 09:03 AM

I don’t think rents for that strip of shops is particularly excessive and when one shop closes its pretty much replaced straight away (the link to fancy moon posted above will be the new occupants). In my opinion its more to do with the whole Church Rd dynamic. One side of the street is pretty much dead due to land banking and dodgy churches and the other is all vintage which is more of a weekend visit type of retail affair. Add in the fact the triangle has loads of vintage shops means anyone operating a vintage shop is up against increased completion for what is essentially a niche product.

It will probably do well in Penge as its bereft of these kinds of shops so will be seen as being exciting there and it will also have less competition.

#22 Mawders

Mawders

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:47 PM

Weirdly because more of their stock was retro rather than vintage, they had little competition really.  Most modern women simply can't get into the size 8/10 dresses, etc that the vintage places offer.

Be interesting how they do in Penge. They will have a lot more footfall, though that depends on exact location, but not all of it will be of much use.  Penge is changing but it still needs to do more to get a lot of its recent new residents to go to more than the PFC and Bridge House.  I've said it before and I will say it again, somebody opening a good restaurant that isn't a curry house or Italian will make an absolute killing in Penge.  There are lots of people who don't want to travel to CP or Beckenham for a nice meal but currently do so regularly. 

#23 Mawders

Mawders

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 07:58 AM

Confirmation that Antic are moving into the C&V Trading site.  Contracts due to be exchanged next week. 

#24 Mawders

Mawders

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:30 PM

Retro womens clothes shop Violet Bettys, formerly of Church Road, are now open for business in Penge.  Their 'shop' is a showroom on Kingswood Road, you have to book an appointment via their website.

The planning app for the old HSBC to become a vets has been submitted.

Also the old library on Maple Road has now been bought by Friends of Flavours.  Plans to convert the upper floor to two flats has gone in.  No news on the ground floor but suspect it will be commercial and hopefully a spin-off of their existing business.