Photo

hard wired (?) dishwasher (removal and installation)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 01:01 PM

Hello has anyone had any experience of getting a wired in dishwasher removed and replaced?

New dishwasher (with plug) was delivered this morning, but when the old one was pulled out, it was discovered it was wired in. So new one is sitting in the kitchen (v annoying because paid for weekend delivery, removal and installation - will get money for the last two back but will cost a lot more to get someone else out) and not sure who to contact as presumably a normal plumber will not have the required electrician's qualifications now needed to do any electrical work involving mains. (I am assuming this includes dishwashers.)

I am a DIY ignoramous. I do not want to attempt plumbing it myself. It's not worth the time, frustration and potentially (messy) cock ups!

Rachel
My link

#2 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 11:52 PM

This should be a simple job and not beyond the abilities of a competent and experienced DIYer or handyperson.

The main question is whether the existing electrical connection is a round, rubberised flexible cable coming out of the existing dishwasher and going into an outlet on the wall.  If so, the consumer unit could be switched off, the outlet removed, the cable disconnected and then fit a 13amp socket in place of the outlet, switch on consumer unit and use a socket tester to check polarity and earth.  This does not affect the mains wiring and you are effectively replacing one type of 13amp outlet for another.

The water side of things does not require a plumber.  The hose from the existing dishwasher must be unscrewed from the where it connects to the water pipe.  Turn the tap off on the pipe and use a grip to undo plastic nut.  Some water will come out of the hose.  Unhook/uncouple the waste outlet pipe and it is complete.  Connect hoses, switch on tap and it is good to go.

If in any doubt, consult a competent tradesperson before carrying out any work.

"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph