Photo

The Railway

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (9 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (3 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. Good (4 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

3. Average (1 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

4. Poor (1 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 05:50 PM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Pub

The Railway
7 Station Rise, London SE27 9BW

Phone: 020 8674 4101

#2 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 12:46 PM

This place seems to have a slightly split personality. They do the exposed floor boards/church chairs gastropub thing, and the food certainly used to be quite good (although watery gravy on my Sunday dinner the other week rather spoilt the whole thing.)

But somehow the atmosphere isn't quite right. Can't quite put my finger on it.

Maybe it's just too young and trendy for me!

I wanted to eat there the other evening. Lancaster's has gone all burgerish which is not my thing. But the music was on so loud, that shouting was the only way to communicate with my husband, so we went to Lancaster's.

It's also the smokiest pub I know! And they don't take debit cards. (Unless that's changed?)

This all said, I will keep going back. The food is good, they have a number of vegetarian options and the garden's great in the summer. They used to do a hardish quiz on Thursdays too.
Rachel
My link

#3 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 12:08 PM

This place seems to have gone down hill on the food front. Had lunch there yesterday - nut roast, most of which was cold, watery gravy and dried out almost burnt roast potatoes and parsnips. Got the distinct impression that I was eating warmed up (or not as the case was with the nutroast) leftovers from the day before.Pity...
Rachel
My link

#4 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 11:31 AM

Am I the only one who ever comes here?!

They now accept credit cards and are serving food from the grill outside (on Sundays at least) Although I did have rather a long wait for it...!
Rachel
My link

#5 Bond

Bond

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 12:21 PM

I think this place has improved a lot since I last went in (some months ago). Music can still be a bit loud but it seems a lot brighter and the outside space is pretty impressive. Food has been okay (or better) the last couple of times and the quiz on a Thursday can be a laugh (especially if the more useless of the two question masters is 'in charge' - steward's inquiries for every other question !

#6 Andy

Andy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 03:20 PM

Do like this pub quite a lot and was there for the footie yesterday but I found the food not to be as good as it invariably smells and looks when you are sitting outside having some beers on a warm sunny afternoon. Its a shame really the beer gardens great and it is very conveniently sited next to the train station if you are coming from Palace.

The big screen out the back is also brilliant for the World Cup games.