Photo

Black Sheep Bar

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Bar? (40 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Bar?

1. Excellent (15 votes [37.50%])

Percentage of vote: 37.50%

2. Good (14 votes [35.00%])

Percentage of vote: 35.00%

3. Average (9 votes [22.50%])

Percentage of vote: 22.50%

4. Poor (2 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Retired Member 1

Retired Member 1

• Retired Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:43 AM

Been ther eon Friday adn enjoyed but looking forward to the smoking ban!!

My clothes stunk of smoke when I went back home
Gipsy Hill Rocks!!!

#17 JMS

JMS

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:07 PM

Went in over christmas - regardless of its wonderful cocktails etc etc etc it is soooooooooooo smoky. I won't be going in there till after June!

#18 The Joker

The Joker

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 10:36 PM

Now I've always been a fan of the Black Sheep (although these days I'd put the White Hart ahead of it).

Anyway, two negatives on a visit to the BS on Saturday evening. First the interior seemed even more smokey than normal - roll on 1 July.

But worse was the standard of service. Plenty of girls serving, at least one of whom was offering table service. After our first drink we decide to order two cocktails and place the order with the girl. And wait. And Wait. And wait. Despite catching her eye a couple of times. After a visit to the toilet decide that a 15mins wait is long enough and out on our coats to leave.

I catch the waitress on the way out and remark that we have waited too long. She seemed stunned and didn't even realise we had been waiting. Stunned! The problem was a party of 7-8 had walked in and gone up to the bar and their mixture of beers and cocktails had been served before our cocktails were even considered.

The annoying thing was we could see our two drinks on the counter and ready to bring over as we left, but by then I think we wanted to make the point. No dash after us or offer to have the drinks and maybe knock a little off.

So two disgruntled customers moved on elsewhere in the Triangle.

#19 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 08:55 AM

We've stopped going in there because of the smokiness. It must be the most smoky bar I've ever been in - their ventilation is atrocious. Will probably start going back come 1st July, although we have become real fans of the White Hart.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#20 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 10 April 2007 - 09:17 AM

Agree re. the smoke, but I think the food has improved of late. I'm not keen on eating at such low tables though...
Rachel
My link

#21 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 14 August 2007 - 09:21 AM

Have been in here a couple of times since the smoking ban and it's so much more pleasant. I think they've expanded their cocktail list and we worked out way through a few on Saturday! The cocktails were very good and the service was also great.

It's a shame they don't do food in the evening as it'd be a nice alternative to the White Hart. Also, I think the music here is generally terrible and does have an effect on the atmosphere for me (maybe just not to my taste though!). However, it's great to feel I now have the option of drinking here.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#22 sally brooks

sally brooks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 12:39 PM

They do excellent burgers and proper chips!

#23 rennie

rennie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 18 September 2007 - 02:59 PM

Any veggie ones?

#24 sally brooks

sally brooks

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 November 2007 - 01:44 PM

We went there in the summer and strolled out into the garden. A very snotty girl told us that it was a private party, though she would let us stay to finish our drinks! I thought a pub is a public place hence the name, and if it is a private party it should say so.

We did not go back

#25 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 10:05 AM

Have popped in for an hour or two recently, avoided it in the past as I fund it difficult to have a drink whilst practically lying flat on the rather too laid back seating.

Anyway.... started going on and off as the White Hart is often packed to the gills. General impression? Lovely cocktails, although I think the drinks are generally hideously over priced. Comfortable enough, as long as you have access to a couple of cushions at least. Service is very hit and miss - I do think they would do far better here if the speed and friendliness of service improved.

Fascinated by the huge painting on the right as you walk in, can't decide if it is scarily good or appalling!

#26 crystal01

crystal01

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 04:17 AM

I would just like to say that the black sheep have held up really well after the Gautama opened up, but they have always been a great local and their cocktails are great! I also have to give a big up to the bar staff as all of them are extra friendly and accomadating and they make the atmosphere a great place to drink in. m.

#27 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 06:17 AM

I hadn't been here for a while and was pleasantly surprised when I went last night for the fantastic meeting of the cinema group. Friendly and efficient bar staff and a really pretty little garden. A great place to while away an evening.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#28 monkeyjoe

monkeyjoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 October 2009 - 01:02 PM

The Black Sheep has improved immensely since the smoking ban came into play. Although the seating is slightly reminiscent of an airport lounge, it still has great cocktails to offer and lovely platters.
MonkeyJoe
Moove2London

#29 The Joker

The Joker

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 09:29 AM

Early Friday saw my first visit to the Black Sheep in a LONG time. It was busy with people celebrating some kind of party on the ground floor and a DJ playing some good tunes. House cocktails are good value at £5.50 each and even better in the '2for1' happy hour until 21.00. Will return...

#30 cheerfulmusicman

cheerfulmusicman

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:45 PM

Went last night with a few friends and took part in their new Wednesday night quiz and had a great time. I hope word spreads and more people come down for this! £1 a person to play and a comparatively small £20 first prize, but I'd play to win a round of drinks and the fun of it if I'm honest. Good varied range of question topics.

There are far too many decent pubs on the Triangle for me to go to the same one really regularly so I hadn't been to the Black Sheep for a good six months. I am pleased to report the staff were very friendly, the lager cold and fresh, and the cocktails good value in Happy Hour(s), and the celebratory bottle of Prosecco probably a mistake on a school night :D

Yes, we won the quiz too!