Photo

O'Neill's

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (20 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Good (3 votes [15.00%])

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

3. Average (9 votes [45.00%])

Percentage of vote: 45.00%

4. Poor (8 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

Vote

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 06:06 PM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Pub

O'Neill's
96 Church Road, London SE19 2EZ

Phone: 020 8768 1001

#2 Mingusohyeah

Mingusohyeah

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 11:06 PM

The problem with this place is that the bar staff seem to turn over faster than any other pub I've known, and many of them are not the most fluent English speakers. Having to point and smile in order to get the wine you want is something I expect when I'm abroad, but not in my local. Other than that I like it, as it's the only pub on the Triangle that's not a poncey leather-sofa-fest or a scary old man's pub. I saw Mark Steel drinking in here once, comedy lovers.

The Guinness was playing up when I ordered a couple of pints this afternoon and it took ten minutes for the manager to fix it - but once it was sorted he gave us the pints (and a red wine for the lady) on the house. That's the way to keep customers, although my companions kept hinting ot me about the cheesy chips and table service in The B**** S****. Never!

#3 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 10:07 AM

i think if oneills the group owners knew how bad this pub had deteriated in the last 5 - 10 years or so they would be doing something about it..... unlit fires, un-cleaned tables, guinness running out on a regular basis, irish coffees...mmmm (the bar staff dont even know what it is!!!) its completley lost its roots...and just seems to get worse every time we go in there...absolutley no atmosphere atall.... :( such a shame.... :(
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#4 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 10:13 AM

I agree Twinkle.

Whilst a theme bar, it used to have some atmosphere and was well-run. There used to be a barman there who ran the place well and used to like talking about "The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists." He was a decent bloke and it was a well run pub.

Now it feels like it's in decline. The bar staff are miserable and like you say, don't appear to be particularly well trained. I tend to avoid it now which is a shame as it could work really well as a pub. It used to. If I'm on that particular stretch and I have a hankering after a beer, I find myself in The Alma now.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#5 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 12:38 PM

I would add tepid food to the list of complaints.

Wetherspoon's also seems incapable of serving anything hot. Nachos with unmelted cheese??! I ask you...
Rachel
My link

#6 Guest_Bex_*

Guest_Bex_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2005 - 12:50 PM

I know this is a really strange observation, but the worst thing about that ONeills is the toilets - they are like a something off crimewatch!
Does anyone else find them really scarey?!
I wondered if they are haunted :ph34r: !!!

#7 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 01:23 PM

I find the amount of liquid on the floor in the Gents a tad unnerving, but as for paranormal apparitions, there's been prescious little to speak of....

Will keep my eyes peeled though.
Fighting Nightingales

#8 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 04:30 PM

i think even the ghosts have left the pub because of its lack of atmosphere!!!! i remember when it first opened as an oneills and it was packed and the staff were soo tentative to everyone (obviously trained to be so) serving at the tables and joining in the jokes at the bar and always kept the fire burning... the staff are part of the whole concept and belief (if thats what yer call it!) of the oneills brand, so whats with present staff who really dont know a thing about their employer let alone knowing how to pull a pint of guinness...its tragic... :blink:
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#9 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 14 March 2005 - 10:38 PM

Probably only been in 2 or 3 times after it converted from the White Hart 1 of those times was a forum meet ! Theme Pub nuff said. Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#10 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 07:54 AM

Agree with your sentiments re: theme bars although used to go in this one a fair bit.... prefer other hostelries although my views are well documented.
Fighting Nightingales

#11 Mango

Mango

Forum Fruit

• Sponsors
  • 772 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 03:26 PM

I agree Twinkle.

The bar staff are miserable and like you say, don't appear to be particularly well trained. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My drinking compadres and I believe they might be using O'Neills as a training pub to allow prospective management to learn the ropes - it does after all have a massively high turnover of staff . Apparently the Alma landlords been helping them out as they kep running out of stuff!

:lol:
M A N G O

#12 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 07:17 PM

I know this is a really strange observation, but the worst thing about that ONeills is the toilets - they are like a something off crimewatch!
Does anyone else find them really scarey?!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If you ever hear a low 'urrrrrrrrrgh' sound coming from the cubicles, run or get the grenade launcher out - sorry, I've been replaying Resident Evil lately. :P

I used to go in there a fair bit but it was starting to go downhill quite a while ago. I remember one of the (better) staff having a bit of a rant to us about the pay, conditions etc and how she was applying for Wetherspoons because they were better employers. It must have been bad! It explains the staff turnover.

#13 Charlotte

Charlotte

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:31 AM

My partner and my friend and I had to wait over 1 hour on a quiet Saturday lunchtime for lunch to arrive. Everyone who came after us, got their food before us, and when I first went up to complain, the barmaid seemed to think that I hadn't ordered at all. Even though I had already paid for it.

Eventually two of the three meals arrived and we finished those and still the third hadn't arrived after 1 hour 25 minutes of waiting. Not once did the barmaid apologise, she kept saying it wasn't her problem, she wasn't responsible for how long things took in the kitchen..in very broken English. She scowled and she kept making out that we were the problem and walking off to serve other customer whilst we were complaining. Eventually we demanded to see the manager and got the money back for all three meals. I think it is some of the most appaling service I have experienced in my life, and I did no hesitate in telling the Manager so.

#14 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 18 March 2005 - 11:38 AM

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

I think I can identify the member of staff you are referring to and her customer care skills leave a lot to be desired.

It's very disappointing as it used to be decently run but I wouldn't dream of going for a beer in there now, let alone ordering food.

They need to have a serious think about how they manage and train their staff.
Fighting Nightingales

#15 Mingusohyeah

Mingusohyeah

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 June 2005 - 11:56 AM

I've just walked past O'Neills and they've got a licence application pinned next to the door. They're looking to be open until midnight except on Fri and Sat, where they want to open until 2am. I think they may also have asked for 1am on Sunday but my short term memory is not what it was. :D