Photo

The Blue Bottle

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (40 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (6 votes [15.00%])

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

2. Good (17 votes [42.50%])

Percentage of vote: 42.50%

3. Average (10 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

4. Poor (7 votes [17.50%])

Percentage of vote: 17.50%

Vote

#16 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 11:45 AM

I don't mind it on a Sunday afternoon but it's a bit pricey. My partner thinks the place is souless though so we usually head to the Black Sheep instead. Now we have the new Cafe ABC though so a bit more competition :D .
Mel, Forum Moderator

#17 Nick

Nick

Wondering.... always wondering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 01 June 2005 - 09:14 PM

Your on! Used to play at uni (which was a while back) and was pretty good defense player if playing doubles.

I might give the Bottle another try. It sounds like it can be alright during the day.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Seems like I might have to live up to my boast. Agreed, time to get some practice in!
Nick, Forum Moderator

#18 duncanf

duncanf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 03:39 PM

what's with the 'no hats' policy at the BlueBottle? seems mighty weird to me...

#19 Retired_Member_2

Retired_Member_2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 04:08 PM

duncanf,

I brought this fact up before.... It was suggested that the proprietors don't want people's faces covered so CCTV can pick them up in case there's trouble. I have to say that I've never seen anything untoward happening there. Which is more than I can say for other pubs in the Triangle

Wonder if they'll ban hoodies next :blink:

#20 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 02 June 2005 - 02:13 PM

If I owned a pub I round ere I would ban hoods & caps too I would also ban people who wear their trousers halfway down their backsides too !

If you are inside whats the point ?

Dazza

PS I have seen trouble up the blue bottle
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#21 duncanf

duncanf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 03:56 PM

I have to point out that I said 'hats' not 'caps' or 'hoods'. my mate was wearing a beanie and was told to take it off. it was hardly obscuring his face!

Anyway, anywhere with a dress code is automatically a bit suss in my books. If there's trouble it'soften in places with a dress code, as dazza's witnessed.

#22 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 03 June 2005 - 04:07 PM

I think it's a very peaceful place. The trouble I have seen in there is just the kerfuffle of the bouncers removing someone. It was a lot worse a couple of years ago...

Why would someone want to wear a hat indoors anyway? :huh:
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#23 charlottedare

charlottedare

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 09:29 AM

Had no idea they were open until 2am.

Had some brave young things to visit who wanted to sample this place on Saturday night (despite my swearing never to go back).

They were having a Live-8 love-in in the back room, complete with Annie Lennox look-a-like strutting her stuff and lots of blokes stood on the tables singing Hey Jude.

And there was me selling CP to my nearest and dearest as a nice quiet calm kind of place.

#24 Yamaman

Yamaman

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 09:43 AM

Defo the best pub in CP for me.
It does get a bit louder at weekends but I wouldn't say it's full of "alcopops party-people" . It's usually slightly older than that.
It also never usually gets busting full so you never feel very cramped in there unlike other bars.
Good music, good beer (bit pricey) and on Sundays good selection of papers to read.

As for the hats policy. When I first moved to CP and saw the sign above the door saying "No Caps" I automatically assumed it'd be a nice pub. Maybe I'm just a snob? :D

#25 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 08:55 AM

a surprisingly nice place to have a drink early on a Friday evening. Enjoyable mix of people and pleasing decor. The barstools are great - so heavy that I think even the Mitchell brothers would be hard pressed to swing them in a fight!
opposed to taking terrapins.

#26 Retired_Member_2

Retired_Member_2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 12:55 PM

http://news.bbc.co.u...rcs/4601590.stm

Looks like the Bluebottle isn't the only place to ban people from wearing hats indoors

#27 CanHarry

CanHarry

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 08:10 PM

Used to be OK when it first opened as the Blue Bottle but its not quite so welcoming now. Apart from being more expensive than most west end pubs they have some strange policies such as frequently closing the back room even if there is no available seating in the front bit. Haven't been back since having been ordered to take off my beanie by a member of the bar staff - it would have been OK if I'd been asked nicely.

Edited by CanHarry, 08 March 2006 - 08:26 PM.

#28 pjw

pjw

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 09:36 AM

I called in here on Sunday evening with a few friends just for a bit of variety as i seem to have been frequenting the White Hart a lot recently and instantly regretted it. For the pleasure of paying £3.20 for a pint (this is CP not soho) we got tables full of rowdy lads and ear-splitting techno. We quickly supped up and went to the White Hart and then to the Alma. It used to be ok-ish in here, what happened?

#29 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:49 AM

Ali the manager got the spanish archer (el-bow) a while back. It's under new management again, and it seems to have gone to pot recently. Nasty beer, scummy floors and music that leaves a lot to be disired. One thing that Ali had was attention to detail.

But the back room is a great place to watch footie, and on a sunny day the patio is a pleasant place to drink if you can stomach the traffic fumes :mellow:
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#30 Yamaman

Yamaman

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 25 May 2006 - 01:16 PM

I never went very often but whenever I have been to watch the footy there the screen was always a bit out of focus and the sound dodgy. Prefer even The Puzzle for footy than here!