Photo

The Blue Bottle

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
42 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (40 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (6 votes [15.00%])

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

2. Good (17 votes [42.50%])

Percentage of vote: 42.50%

3. Average (10 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

4. Poor (7 votes [17.50%])

Percentage of vote: 17.50%

Vote

#31 Nick

Nick

Wondering.... always wondering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 05:24 PM

Went last night. Flat beer, warm glasses, frankly a dump. Such a pity as it is on the more architecturally interesting pubs in Upper Norwood. Bring back Ali, all is forgiven!
Nick, Forum Moderator

#32 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 30 May 2006 - 10:33 AM

Agree. Remembered why we don't go there. Also, other half got chatted up by some old guy at the bar who later on decided to come and sit with us and try his luck again :unsure: . Needless to say, we departed for the Black Sheep :D .
Mel, Forum Moderator

#33 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:12 AM

It's under new management... again! Managed to meet the manager (Neil) last night if only for 10 seconds to tell me that they stopped letting any more people in at 12:30 and we got there at 12:35 <_< Bit annoying as I'd not been there in months.

Anyway - fair enough! Closing times have changed to 2am on Fri and Sats and there's some kind of refurb in the pipeline I think... I guess it's a case of watch this space :ph34r:

Edited by Elmo, 25 November 2006 - 10:19 AM.

Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#34 HillBilly

HillBilly

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:31 AM

It is an interesting looking pub but completely soulless inside. The tables are arranged for a Chess Tournament and you come out stinking of old man pipey smells (sorry any old men that smoke pipes who might be reading this!!) We always end up going there if we can't get in to the WH though...i still think the BB is better than the Black Sheep and the others. Watching the football here in the summer was good.

Edited by HillBilly, 25 November 2006 - 10:31 AM.

#35 Elmo

Elmo

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 12:30 AM

Oh dear... not good. Popped in tonight for a swift one. half empty and as much fun as a kick in the wotsits

I can see this place shutting unless there's a significant change. :unsure:

Follow me on Twitter

#36 chris_thomas

chris_thomas

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 10 February 2007 - 06:58 PM

Historically this bar has had a lakc of direction as its owned by the same team as the Dogstar in Brixton and it seems that most of their attention is focussed on that venue. In the past there have been problems with the poor quality of the beer due to the lack of regular cleaning of the pipes. As I told every new manager for the last seven years.
However, the new manager Neil is looking to change all this. The eer has imporved and he is looking to bring in a food menu in the next few month. The pub is on one of the best sites in Crystal Palace so lets hope he makes a success of it.

Chris
Chris Thomas
www.palacemag.co.uk

#37 Elmo

Elmo

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 11 March 2007 - 01:26 AM

Went in tonight for a cheeky last pint before home, and they were playing some great house music...! I really can't figure this bar out. It's a box of chocolates.... you really don't know what you're gonna get... :blink:

Follow me on Twitter

#38 Bosie

Bosie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 12:04 PM

I went a few weeks ago and they were playing the most random selection of music I have heard in a bar - think Dolly Parton followed by Soul to Soul followed by Elvis!

It had a really nice atmosphere though. Definintely one of the better nights I have had there. I agree Elmo it can vary in there at times.
Check out my blog - Mr Musing - music, art, fashion, film and general musings
http://mrmusing.blogspot.com

#39 Elmo

Elmo

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 04 May 2007 - 07:01 PM

This place is getting rennovated and will soon be called "Westow House". They're promising food, coffee, wine and cocktails to go with the new paint job...

Does the name have any historical significance?

:jedi:

Follow me on Twitter

#40 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 07:35 AM

That's good news - the interior has so much potential. The old name of the pub was "The White Swan" - as far as I know there is no historic significance for "Westow House".

By the way, John Coulter's guide to Norwood Pubs which came out last year (Bookseller Crow would have a copy) is well worth dipping into. :)
opposed to taking terrapins.

#41 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 11 May 2007 - 10:13 AM

I'll be interested to see the changes they make. I hope that includes a change of plants out the front, however, as they look half dead. Fatsia japonica were a poor choice as they don't do well in full sun. I know any plant stuck into a container in a pub garden is bound to suffer a bit, but they need something sun-loving and drought tolerant out there.

#42 Elmo

Elmo

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 10:55 PM

Pictures and wallpaper are now up on the walls... still feels like the Bluebottle though! :blink:

Edited by Elmo, 15 June 2007 - 10:56 PM.

Follow me on Twitter

#43 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:13 PM

The Blue Bottle is now known as Westow House

European.vote - EU Referendum