Photo

The Puzzle Pub

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
26 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (34 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Good (2 votes [5.88%])

Percentage of vote: 5.88%

3. Average (11 votes [32.35%])

Percentage of vote: 32.35%

4. Poor (21 votes [61.76%])

Percentage of vote: 61.76%

Vote

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 06:13 PM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Pub

The Puzzle Pub
25-27 Westow Hill, London SE19 1TQ

Phone: 020 8761 4396

#2 cha003

cha003

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 11:24 AM

First time in this pub last night for a friend's birthday. Not too bad early in the evening when it was quiet, but by 8.30 we were completely unable to talk to each other as the music had been turned up to an unbearable level and the place was full of young men shouting.

We decanted to the Cambridge for a civilised pint. :)

#3 rachel

rachel

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 03:52 PM

We decanted to the Cambridge for a civilised pint.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Uncle Wilf will be proud of you :D

#4 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 08:08 AM

The cockles of my heart are suitably warmed.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#5 susie

susie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 February 2005 - 01:11 PM

We have found this a few times when we've been in the puzzle too - even though theres hardly anyone in there and everyones sitting around trying to talk they start turning the music up full blast :(

We always just end up leaving as dont really want to shout at each other and end up with a sore throat :blink:

#6 Nork1

Nork1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 04:28 PM

I've got to agree about the music. I was in there recently on a Thursday for a couple of pints and a chat. There were about 10 other people there but, as others have said, by 8:00 I could not hear a friend sitting 3 ft away from me. She politely asked the barman if the music could be turned down as obviously there was no one there who was interested and she got told in no uncertain terms where to go if she didn't like it.

I haven't been back since.

#7 Nigel

Nigel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 05:20 PM

Recently, I went in here for the first time in about 2 years in the hope of getting a quick pint...and now I realise why I don't go. Its full of cretins.

The barmen (and I use the term very loosely), were more interested in phoning their mates on their mobiles and then finding mobile phone chargers for some random teenage girl next to me (who proceeded to get served before me)

Stood there for 10mins at the bar hoping to be served (and I should point out, the pub was 3/4 empty) until eventually my mate and I decided to cut our losses and head next door to the Black Sheep Bar....a far better and more welcoming establishment.

In short...AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

#8 Tux

Tux

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:04 AM

This pub, in my humble opinion, is the best place to go and get a high quality black eye! My experience of this place has been aweful. Loud music, bad beer and noisey, highly aggrivated clientele all add up for an evening of ***.

My advice....... avoid like the plague!!!!

#9 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:13 AM

I've only been around for the last couple of years. Has it always been like this? I seem to remember the one in Balham being a right laugh 5 years ago, I think it's closed now.

Any residents remember what it was like when it opened? :huh:
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#10 loplop

loplop

• Sponsors
  • 687 posts

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:14 AM

The only good thing about this place is that it seems to attract all the mindless and over-aggressive boys and girls, and therefore keeps them all in the same spot to fight it out amongst themselves. As long as this pub exists, the other pubs in the area are less likely to experience the kind of trouble that goes on here each and every weekend.
If The Puzzle closed, other pubs in the triangle would suffer as a result.
Keep it open, its fine !
a carrot is as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond

blow

#11 postman100

postman100

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:44 AM

When it first opened about 7 years ago it was a nice place. An Australian guy Matt was the manager and it was all Aussies serving. Friday and Saturdays was a great clientele. The Aussies would be up on the bar dancing ans everyone was having a fantastic evening.

Fast forward to now ... <snip> ... stay away

Moderator's Note
Some comments removed. Please see our guidelines about potentially libellous comments...
http://www.virtualno...?showtopic=1141

Edited by James, 31 August 2006 - 09:05 AM.

#12 andreas

andreas

• Sponsors
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 31 August 2006 - 07:56 AM

Yes I agree. When I moved to the area five years ago, the Puzzle was a pleasant place - good-natured and fun. Many happy memories of nights out!

That's the trouble with theme pubs, once the novelty wears off they become very tired. It's a pity as with the garden and the light-filled interior the place could be made into a very nice drinking and eating spot.
opposed to taking terrapins.

#13 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 03:08 PM

They just need to update the concept. It's all feeling a bit 1998 in there... If only they could make better use of the views from the back.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#14 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 01 September 2006 - 05:27 PM

Totally agree - the Puzzle has great potential. It is looking quite deserted during the working week. Back in the old days it was a nice place to go.

#15 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 04 September 2006 - 07:21 AM

It is a decent sized-venue which could work really well but unfortunately its reputation precedes it at the moment and I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales