• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#151 Mrs Oswald

Mrs Oswald

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:55 AM

The Postal Order actually was the old post office.

I think Uncle Wilf was correct. I too remember going up the steps of the handsome building which is now Los Toreros and queueing for some postal service on many occasions when I was a child.

#152 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:02 AM

I think Uncle Wilf was correct. I too remember going up the steps of the handsome building which is now Los Toreros and queueing for some postal service on many occasions when I was a child.

Yes indeed. And if you sit on the little corner table on the left as you enter you can see what appears to be an old, defunct, posting pox on the wall behind you.

#153 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:20 AM

Was there not at one stage for a short while a bookshop on that side of the road?
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#154 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:18 AM

The tapas bar was the post office the postal order was actually the old sorting office.

Got my 1st 10 year passport from there for a princely sum of 10
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#155 Mrs Oswald

Mrs Oswald

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 08:35 AM

Was there not at one stage for a short while a bookshop on that side of the road?

Yes, there used to be a second hand bookshop along there, perhaps in the shop which later became the fireplace shop. The slightly eccentric proprietor used to heat the premises with a little fireplace, feeding in large spars of scavenged wood which stuck out across the shop, and pushing them further in as they burnt down.