Mel, Forum Moderator

#17 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 01:25 PM

As if there could be anyone called Olga Patisserie Uncle Wilf.....

There's a key difference you see.
Olga Pattiserrie provided cakes, pastries and freshly baked bread to members of the public.
My mum on the other hand provided a few fondant fancies and a clip round the ear if you were lucky.

Imagine a dinner lady called "Mrs Patisserie"....
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#18 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 01:44 PM

yeh that would be a cool name for a dinner lady B)
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#19 elleme

elleme

• Sponsors
  • 505 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 02:33 PM

Shame I missed out on a patisserie! Although it may be just as well for my diet. Apart from very occasional childhood trips to the park to see the dinosaurs, I only remember CP from 10 years back. I remember Los Toreros when it was called Rockwells but never went in there at the time. I didn't remember it as a post office. Did the post office extend into the Wetherspoons as well, since I'm sure they've called it something like the old post office in a failed attempt to impose some kind of character? I do remember Smokies, went in there once or twice. As with Numidie I'm sure you could either eat upstairs or go down to the wine bar. There was a fishmongers where Lava is now, of course, a greengrocer which is now selling 2ndhand furniture in the shop to the left of Allens Florists, while Allens itself was a pet shop within recent memory (as was one over the road which is still unoccupied.)

On Westow Hill there was a shop which sold suitcases, I believe it may have been where Chi is now. There was also a clothes shop which sold market stall style tat around there, I wonder if that was in the building with a skylight which never ever gets finished. On central Hill, perhaps where costcutter is now, there was a camping shop.

Edited by elleme, 01 March 2005 - 02:35 PM.

#20 Becky2

Becky2

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 03:02 PM

Yes and that camping shop was previously on Church Road where Noodle Time is now.

#21 Becky2

Becky2

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 03:07 PM

And didn't the opticians on Westow Hill used to sell crockery?

#22 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 04:01 PM

I thought all opticians sold crockery.....

And what used to be where Safeways/Morrisons is now? I remember it being built but I can't place what was there before...
Fighting Nightingales

#23 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 05:42 PM

Whatever it was must have been more attractive than the current building :rolleyes: .
Mel, Forum Moderator

#24 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 06:33 PM

I think there were just litle shops on the site of Safeways/Morrisons, like the ones near the traffic lights corner of Church Rd. One of those little shops sold pianos - I've seen old photos somewhere.
I used to go to Rockwells quite a lot after the post office moved to Westow Hill. It was quite trendy at the time (?early/mid 90's), but of course there were hardly any other restaurants around then.
aka Pie

#25 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 08:33 AM

I remember somebody complaining in the early 90s that Crystal Palace was "all restaurants and estate agents." They must think the areas gone right down hill in the last 10 years.....
Fighting Nightingales

#26 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 11:36 AM

The leather goods shop on Westow Hill was called Winners.

You can still (?) contact them at http://www.towns.biz...ategory=Winners which also lists many other former shops in its outdated index. ;)

Talking about outdated pages, have you seen Wow! What A Difference and Wow! What A Difference Archive? I hope to update them again later in the year.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#27 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 01:01 PM

Bizarrely (or not?) I think with the exception of Dempseys every shop front on 'wow what a difference' has changed AGAIN since the photos were taken!

#28 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 04:12 PM

I remember Winners very well.

And I remember Kennedy's being on Westow Hill - I think where the opticians is now? is that correct?

There also used to be a shop called Sonnet 24 I think where South Of The River is now....

Its funny with all the comings and goings... the tractor and farm machinery shop on Church Road has remained for all these years.
If somebody had said to you "here's a good business venture in London - set up a tractor shop. there's a huge demand from them in the Norwood area. they'll be shifting like free levi's."
I remember this shop was mentioned on the Robert Elms show on BBC London last year and I think he actually interviewed the bloke who owned it.
Fighting Nightingales

#29 jozz98

jozz98

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 03:41 PM

[quote name='Uncle Wilf' date='Mar 1 2005, 04:01 PM']

And what used to be where Safeways/Morrisons is now? I remember it being built but I can't place what was there before...

Before safeways there was the old sally army building(pretty ugly too) and the piano shop which was called Barker Piano Co . I think there used to be a large car park at the rear if memory serves me right.

Edited by jozz98, 28 March 2005 - 03:43 PM.

#30 Silver

Silver

• Sponsors
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 09:07 PM

Smokeys was owned by Kieth and Kate. Kate's father was/is Owen Luder who was
president of RIBA. I used to play with Kate and her sister who then lived in 'Innisvale' on Beulah Hill. They had the use of the stables had all the latest cardboard furniture and blow up chairs.

Years ago we had three cinemas in the area; 2 in Church Road and one in Westow Hill.

O'Niels used to be the White Heart. Los Toreros used to be the post office. Forresters Hall used to be the law courts and had cells downstairs. Don't know what has become of them. We had Nursery Bargains selling baby stuff, a fishmongers selling fish, two pet shops, a wool shop, an art gallery and a large clothes shop opposite Macdonalds, We are soon to lose three more shops and I am taking bets now that they will be estate agents or restaurants! Isn't this one-way system wonderful!!!

Edited by Silver, 28 March 2005 - 09:08 PM.