cha003

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 08:50 AM

Smokeys was owned by Kieth and Kate. Kate's father was/is Owen Luder who was
president of RIBA.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Coincidentally, Owen Luder was also responsible for the original re-design of our building from a Victorian fire station to a theatre...

#32 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 07:51 PM

Or the White Swan (now O'Neills).  Was it Swan?  White something anyway.

After i had finished my Saturday job on the tills at Safeway (happy days), we used to pop in there for a coca cola.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was called the White Swan. (If it's the one on the roundabout at the top of Anerley Hill) Once saw Tyranasarus whatsit there before they were called T-REX

Late 60's early 70's they used to have loads of groups play there.

Still puzzling over the name of the pub half way along Westow Hill on the left (if you are facing the tower) was it called the Ship or the Queens arms ? Back in the very early 70's it was a mod hang out. I remember it had an upstairs balcony which I think closed for safety reasons at one time.

Joe

#33 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 07:58 PM

Yes and that camping shop was previously on Church Road where Noodle Time is now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ahhh someone who remembers the camping shop on Church Rd - that goes back a bit. I am trying to do the impossible and locate a picture of Commercial & General Typewriter Co. which was located in Church Road on the right just before the roundabout. I worked there from about 1967 to 1972.

Joe

#34 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 09:30 PM

Yes and that camping shop was previously on Church Road where Noodle Time is now.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

With a bit of luck I will be updating the Virtual Street for Church Road this year... at the moment it still shows the old camping shop!

We have some photos of punks (not mods) hanging out at the Queens Arms when the Sex Pistols played at The Palace in 2002.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#35 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 03:14 PM

Its funny with all the comings and goings... the tractor and farm machinery shop on Church Road has remained for all these years.
If somebody had said to you "here's a good business venture in London - set up a tractor shop. there's a huge demand from them in the Norwood area. they'll be shifting like free levi's."

In a similar vein, it always amuses me when I pass the diving centre/shop in Portland Road, South Norwood! Handy for the swimming pool I guess... :P

Any other unlikely shops around?
aka Pie

#36 peanut

peanut

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 03:39 PM

Not to leave W. Norwood out.... we also have our own diving shop on chapel rd. Maybe there're not telling us something!

#37 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 09:42 PM

With a bit of luck I will be updating the Virtual Street for Church Road this year... at the moment it still shows the old camping shop!

We have some photos of punks (not mods) hanging out at the Queens Arms when the Sex Pistols played at The Palace in 2002.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So it was called the Queens Arms thanks for that. (No punks in the late 60's early 70's lol)

Having found the Virtual streets section it was interesting to see Snellings which if I remember correctly were coal merchants and the old camping shop. Commercial & General Typewriters were I think from looking at the virtual Church Road in the position which now just shows a picture of advertising hordings with a motorbike in front of them.

The reason I think this is we had a small parking area behind the shop and this I think from looking at the map must have been accessed from Milestone road.

There was a hardware shop that I can find no mention of on the right in Westow Hill facing the tower. We used to run around to it to buy gallon containers of Meth Spirit and Thinners for cleaning machines and in those days it used to cost 15 shillings a gallon for the thinners can't remember the cost for Meths. Very dark and dingy inside - as was the new Tesco's store when it opened (Is it still there?)

It was favorite joke for the service engineers to send the trainees around to the hardware shop for spirit level bubbles or long weights. Yes I did get caught myself.

Can't find mention of the police station on Central Hill is that still there. (I do get Central Hill and Gypsy Hill mixed up sometimes) The first gallon of petrol I ever purchased was at the garage at the bottom of Gypsy Hill it cost 4/9d (23p) how things have changed.

Down South Norwood Hill to the lights at the bottom then straight across just before the railway bridge on the left was a Model shop that had been there for years and years even back in those days I suppose that has gone.

Just wish I could get a Kennedys pie or some of their gorgeous sausages today .................

Joe

#38 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 10:08 PM

Have a dig around on the Virtual Streets some more. You will find the police station on Central Hill is still there, and the model shop (though I'm not sure their web site is working properly yet)

European.vote - EU Referendum

#39 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 10:27 PM

Have a dig around on the Virtual Streets some more. You will find the police station on Central Hill is still there, and the model shop (though I'm not sure their web site is working properly yet)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you for the information James. I can't believe that the model shop is still there after all these years. Used to press my nose against the window in the 60's looking at all the stuff that I could never have.

Off to have a look at the Police Station that once held me for a night.

Joe

#40 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 10:31 PM

Blimey! Not only is the cop shop still there - I recognised another one I remember the cycle shop.......

Joe

#41 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 09:23 AM

Anyone remember Sonnet 24 (where South of the River is now??) and Ukay Hamburgers (I think where Little Palace Cafe is now).....?
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#42 jannism

jannism

• Sponsors
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 09:31 AM

Down South Norwood Hill to the lights at the bottom then straight across just before the railway bridge on the left was a Model shop that had been there for years and years even back in those days I suppose that has gone.

Still there next to Mantanah Thai restaurant which is excellent (at least it was 5 years ago when I last ate there).

Anyone remember Sonnet 24 (where South of the River is now??) and Ukay Hamburgers (I think where Little Palace Cafe is now).....?

Yep.

I've just read this whole thread. Memories, eh? I'll tell you this much, nostalgia's not what it used to be...

#43 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 08:47 AM

Did there used to be a Wordsworth bookseller up at the Palace.... and also I remember there being a shoe shop more recently on Westow Hill........?

And "Walrus" on Church Road - that's been gone since about 1998 - has no-one bought it?
I remember buying "Dig The New Breed" by The Jam on vinyl in there and my girlfriend of the time said that vinyl was for "geography teachers." We didn't last long............
Fighting Nightingales

#44 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 12:33 PM

what was the original shops before safeways and morrissons were on that site?
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#45 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 12:45 PM

A Salvation Army citadel and Barker's Piano Store and Factory apparently.
Fighting Nightingales