• Please log in to reply
339 replies to this topic

#1 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 10:23 AM

Thought this might complement the music thread we had.

I'm currently on the rather odd Rumo by Walter Moers. It looks like a kids book as it has loads of illustrations, but it's 600 pages long!

The hero, Rumo, is a walking dog with horns who owns a magic sword that is inhabited by two dead souls; one an artistic troll, and the other a blood-thirsty but dumb demon. The book starts with Rumo escaping from the floating island of Wandering Rock inhabited by the one-eyed giants called Demoncles (they only eat living beings as they like to see them squirm). He is helped in his escape by a 12-foot, 14-armed shark grub. From then on the book starts to get weird . . .
:blink:

For imaginative escapism it kicks Harry Potter's scrawny, public school a**e.

#2 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 10:38 AM

The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber.

It's 800 pages long and weighs a ton in my in my bag. It's a novel about a prostitute set in 1870s London. The descriptions of places in London are quite detailed, so you can really picture the streets and areas. I bought it for my mum for her birthday and got a copy for myself as well. Since starting it I've discovered it's rather saucy so hope my mum doesn't mind too much :ph34r: :D .
Mel, Forum Moderator

#3 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:04 AM

I'm ashamed to say I've got out of the habit of carrying a book with me (need a bigger bag!) and am mostly reading other people's copy of Metro.

However, I'm usually reading Paul Auster or Haruki Murakami.

When I find space in my bag the next on the list is a couple of Kazuo Ishiguro's books, which I borrowed on the strength of The Unconsoled, although I'm not expecting anything similar.

Funnily enough, despite the Kafka-esque theme, I've still not read any Kafka. Must sort that out...

#4 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:06 AM

Funnily enough, despite the Kafka-esque theme, I've still not read any Kafka.  Must sort that out...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wouldn't bother - he's innovative, but nowadays other writers do him better, if you see what I mean.

#5 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:15 AM

Just finished a book on Arthur Lowe what a miserable git his wife was even worse. Not sure what to start next any suggestions like sci-fi, biographies no slush.

Weeble think I spotted you on the train yesterday to london bridge you were looking very serious you were obviosly getting into work mode.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#6 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:16 AM

Jeff Noon - Vurt

Twisted, exhilarating, otherworldly… Manchester in an alternative cyber-future. It's a coming-of-age/love story based around a group of friends tripping on "feathers". Just finished it this morning. It's good, but hard to follow at times.

Go here to take a ride..... http://www.vurt-feather.co.uk
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#7 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:21 AM

Not sure what to start next any suggestions like sci-fi, biographies no slush.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For good, hard sci-fi, have you tried Iain M Banks.

Or the SF Masterworks range - almost all of which are fantastic (they're all classics of the genre).

#8 cha003

cha003

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:28 AM

I spend most of my reading time devouring plays and books on theatre as I'm doing a degree in Theatre Studies in my (haha) spare time, so am currently slogging through a book on Brecht ...

#9 wmp

wmp

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:30 AM

I'm currently reading Jennifer Macaire "Time for Alexander" while carrying around Paul Doherty "Alexander the Great: Death of a ***". Then it's on to Frank L. Holt "Alexander the Great and the Mystery of the Elephant Medallions" ...

Yes, there's a pattern here - I need to complete a book review section for a classics journal! And get inspiration for how to say something kind about Doherty... And how not to get one shoulder lower than the other from the weight of all these books...

#10 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:32 AM

Weeble - Have read When We Were Orphans by Ishiguro and enjoyed it a lot.

I studied Kafka at uni and was impressed by The Trial and The Castle. My tutor was obsessed with Kafka so his enthusiasm helped bring it to life.

Edited by gekko, 09 March 2005 - 11:33 AM.

Mel, Forum Moderator

#11 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:43 AM

I'm currently reading Jennifer Macaire "Time for Alexander" while carrying around Paul Doherty "Alexander the Great: Death of a God".  Then it's on to Frank L. Holt "Alexander the Great and the Mystery of the Elephant Medallions" ...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That souds like fun reading to me.
:)

Where I'm going in Greece next month fisherman still need to be wary of Alexander's mother, who apparently is a giant, two-tailed mermaid. If she surfaces near a boat and asks how her son is, they must reply, "He lives and reigns!", otherwise she sinks them.

(Personally I'd prefer her to look like Angelina Jolie, but without the dodgy accent ;) )

Edited by andyb, 09 March 2005 - 11:43 AM.

#12 Helen

Helen

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:49 AM

I have just finished reading Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet. It is an amazing book set in thr 12th century and although it is about 1100 pages long I found myself reading slowly towards the end as I didn't want to finish it!
I got the Da Vinci Code for Christmas so I am now joining the masses at last and have moved on to that - so far I am really enjoying it.

#13 wmp

wmp

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:51 AM

andyb - I heard tell it was Alexander's sister, Cleopatra (who had mistakenly drunk the water of life & cannot be told that Alexander died)... Nevertheless, Angelina Jolie gets my vote... :)

Perhaps, as I'm going to Troy at the end of the month, I should be (re-)reading the Iliad? rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#14 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:59 AM

Thanks Gekko - I shall read When We Were Orphans next then - it is one of the ones I've borrowed.

The Unconsoled is one of my favourite books, but I get the impression it is unlike everything else he has written. The whole thing is incredibly dream-like - but not in a nice ethereal kind of way, more like one of those dreams when you're trying to run but can't get anywhere. It was sometimes so frustrating I nearly threw it away on more the one occassion. I think a lot of critics absolutely hated it.

Dazza - I think I was running late yesterday, doesn't normally start me off in a jolly frame of mind! :D

#15 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 09 March 2005 - 12:01 PM

andyb - I heard tell it was Alexander's sister, Cleopatra (who had mistakenly drunk the water of life & cannot be told that Alexander died)...  Nevertheless, Angelina Jolie gets my vote... :)

Not according to Paddy Leigh Fermor, or a Greek fisherman I chatted to. But these things have a way of getting confused.

Perhaps, as I'm going to Troy at the end of the month, I should be (re-)reading the Iliad? rolleyes:  :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, that list of ships is riveting. :rolleyes:

Is it your first time to Troy? When I took tours there I was amazed at how well preservered somethings are - Troy. ;)