• Please log in to reply
339 replies to this topic

#331 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 12:00 PM

In search of the missing eyelash...great read, local, short, makes me think about language and observations...also prompted me to have breakfast at my local caff more often :)

good one that is

I am still reading David Thorne - The Internet is a Playground. Hilarious.
Rachel
My link

#332 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:00 PM

Hi Gekko

Yeah i love the early albums as well... "Lovers Town Revisited" "A13 Trunk Road To The Sea" "Milkman Of Human Kindness" and as I mentioned before "St Swithins Day" - a wistful reflection on the end of a relationship by a bloke from Essex has never sounded so beautiful.

I have a signed copy of 'Talking with the Taxman About Poetry'!

Also, was astonished to turn on R4 this week and catch Robert Wyatt singing 'At last I am free' - lovely song, haven't heard it in decades.

#333 Hermit

Hermit

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 03 October 2010 - 03:57 PM

Have just finished ' A week in December' by Sebastian Faulks.
Nice little holiday read set in modern London.
If anyone has read it, I'm still a bit mythed as to who the dude on the bicycle with no lights on was?

#334 Hesketh

Hesketh

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 10:48 AM

'The Dunwich Horror' - HP Lovecraft

http://en.wikipedia...._Dunwich_Horror

#335 misspoddy

misspoddy

• Sponsors
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 11:29 PM

Wolf Hall
Taking me bloody ages though..... :blink:

#336 Hesketh

Hesketh

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:33 AM

Patti Smith - Just Kids

#337 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:47 AM

'Rupture' by Simon Lelic - not an easy read (I find it a bit distressing) by any means, but gripping. It also makes me thank my lucky stars that I never went down the teaching route :o

#338 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:11 PM

I've been buying the iPaper (mini-Independent) in the morning. Just the right length for the journey, only 20p and it's not the Metro, which is the trashiest rag available anywhere.
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#339 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:18 PM

I've been buying the iPaper (mini-Independent) in the morning. Just the right length for the journey, only 20p and it's not the Metro, which is the trashiest rag available anywhere.

Agreed - but I am addicted to the text messages bit :ph34r:

I did try the iPaper, but I found it a bit dry and uninspiring (mind you, I felt the same way about the Independent!) :o

Edited by Summit Lover, 04 March 2011 - 01:19 PM.

#340 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:33 PM

Not tried the iPaper but for me it's The Guardian or my book. As I have quite a long journey, I see it as time to get stuck into some quality reading. I label it semi-productive time - concentration is disrupted by train changes but time can still be put to some good use. I never read the Metro or the Standard. If I don't fancy my book, I use the time for contemplation/listening to music.

I'm currently reading Charles Bukowski - Ham on Rye, having recently finished Jonathan Franzen - Freedom. Should be finished this weekend and next up will either be a Philip Roth or the latest Andrea Levy.
Mel, Forum Moderator