39 replies to this topic

#1 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 20 March 2005 - 11:03 PM

Hi

I wonder if any one can help. I am an ex-Norwood lad (Auckland Rise - Lancaster Road - Sylvan Estate (Prefabs)

I am looking for a Forum that has a section for swaping old memories of the area. I have found the CPFC forum but all the chat about memories of the area stopped many moons ago.

Joe

#2 croesus

croesus

• Sponsors
  • 234 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 12:46 PM

Hi Joe,

I'd say that you have posted your question in exactly the forum you're looking for: Virtual Norwood Local History. I suggest you post some memories of when you lived here to get the ball rolling. No guarantees that you'll reach people who were in Norwood at the same time as you - a lot of us are incomers - but I'm sure we'd all be interested to hear what you remember of the area.

#3 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 10:38 PM

Thank you very much for the invite to post my memories here. I hope I do not bore you all to death.

Where shall I start? Moved to Norwood at a very young age from Thornton Heath followed by Headly drive New Addington.

The first place I remember was I think called Sylvan Estate (not there now I think it was bulldozed some time ago) They were post war prefabs about 30 or 40 of them I think. Memories of wandering down to the bottom of the estate (Maberley Road?) and playing in the old air raid shelter in the top corner of the park connected to South Norwood Lake. (Is it still there?)

My mother worked in the cricket club in the grounds near the lake. I went to both Cypress Hill schools. (Mrs Condon?) I used to have to walk from the estate to a hard ware store on Anerley Hill shops to get paraffin from a machine I think it took 2 shilling pieces. (How is that for detail!)

This is going to go on for ages. Saturday morning flicks at the Odeon I think it was called at Crystal Palace followed by the obligatory 5 Woodbines from the shop just up the road from it.

Then went to Lancaster Rd. for a while in a big old house that was flats stuck in a V in the road at the bottom end near the Goat House. Naughty kids home we used to call it across the road. (The poor devils were treated abysmally)

Then back up the road to Auckland Rise top floor of the lower (backing on to the woods) block. Went to Ingram which involved a long walk over the top of the hill and down the other side. Enjoyed many hours fooling about in the wood behind Auckland Rise that went from the TV tower down to Auckland Rd.

Many an embarrassing moment hiding from friends when I used to have to take the laundry up to the shops at the top of South Norwood hill to the coin op. Used to clean Aker Bilks coach for pocket money it was just along from the Church at the bottom of Sylvan Hill going towards Anerley Hill in what were then posh new houses.

Also used to wash Ronnie Corbets Bentley in was it Church Road (at the top of Auckland Rise) house was on the right a few yards from the estate.

Spooky games in the Church yard opposite the TV tower.

Teen years Dave Clark 5 music at CPFC matches Queens Arms / White Swan Crystal Palace. Ohh and those American Students at the Queens Hotel - who coud forget!

First job was an office equipment place in Crystal Palace just along from the cinema. Commercial & General Typewriters I think it was called. Thatísí enough waffle from me - for now ;-)

Joe

#4 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 01:39 PM

Enjoyed many hours fooling about in the wood behind Auckland Rise that went from the TV tower down to Auckland Rd.

Lots of guys have done that, unfortunately one of them got murdered a couple of years ago.

Hey Joe! welcome to the Forum. You don't give any dates but you obviously have some good memories of the area. South Norwood lake and park are still there, not sure about the cricket club though. I'm interested to hear where Ronnie Corbett lived, it must have been near me then.
aka Pie

#5 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 09:30 PM

Ronnie Corbet (all 7ft of him with cushions on the drivers seat)

O.K. Church Rd. facing Crystal palace towards Queens Hotel. Auckland Rise is on your right. Then there were about 6/7 big Victorian houses before you get to Sylvan Hill - his was about 2nd or 3rd one from Auckland Rise.

Another famous person I remember was one of the Tremeloes lived down Auckland Rd. just past Cypress Hill on the right. There was also an entrance (that not many knew about) to South Norwood lake/park almost at the bottom of Cypress Hill.

Bet it's long gone now but I remember a pie shop that made absolutly gorgeous pies almost oposite the Queens Arms in CP was it called Kennedy's ? I remember a police training place being opened in Sylvan hill? (I think)

Are the Prehistoric animals still in the CP park? They used to have rowing boats on the lake - had my first ever snog in one of them :-)

I hear that even Ingram School has now gone.

Joe

#6 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 09:53 AM

Are the Prehistoric animals still in the CP park? They used to have rowing boats on the lake - had my first ever snog in one of them :-)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They sure are. Recently done up as well: Dinos

I could be wrong but I fear the boats no longer operate.

#7 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 12:14 PM

Hi Joe

The only shop up the palace you may remember is the bike repair shop in central hill near the the hollybush pub. Still run by the same family my uncle tells me.

The police training academy is now some sort of hostel for immigrants as is the queens hotel. Bet your glad you moved away !

Kennedys was the name of the pieshop but now sells sunglasses but it still has the kennedys frontage.

The secret entance to the parks may now be the entrance to the playing fields of sylvan/harris school which is now within the park.

Where did you move too I may follow shortly is it hot ?

Regards

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#8 Uncle Wilf

Uncle Wilf

Avuncular Legend

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 01:04 PM

Ingram School went back in the 1990s I think and moved to what used to be Selhurst College on Whitehorse Road and became Selhurst High School.

The "naughty kids home" used to back on to the Stanley Tech playground (I used to be a Stanley boy ) but I don't know whether it still does.
Fighting Nighthawks in the sky
Brave and loyal are these guys
Brothers turning wrong to right
Never running from a fight, fight, fight
Fighting Nightingales

#9 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 01:47 PM

Think those big red brick houses in Church Road are all converted into flats now. I believe Ronnie Corbett still lives in the Croydon area. I saw him once visiting someone in the old maternity hospital in Thornton Heath - the matron (Hattie Jacques type) wouldn't let him in (only 2 visitors per bed allowed in those days) and he made a lot of noise and fuss for such a little 'un!

There was also an entrance (that not many knew about) to South Norwood lake/park almost at the bottom of Cypress Hill

Unless you are confusing South Norwood lake park with Beaulieu Heights? That 's the park whose "woods" you used to play in. There's a very small entrance to it in Auckland Road, quite near Cypress Hill. Manyyears ago I used that entrance to cut through the park to the bus stop on South Norwood Hill, sometimes even when it was getting dark. Wouldn't do it now. :unsure:
aka Pie

#10 Becky2

Becky2

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 01:55 PM

[
Bet it's long gone now but I remember a pie shop that made absolutly gorgeous pies almost oposite the Queens Arms in CP was it called Kennedy's ?

So if Kennedys is the optician - then which pub is/was Joe's Queens Arms? Has it been knocked down to build that church or Iceland?

Oh and Ronnie Corbett lives up Shirley Hills way, celeb spotters.

#11 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 23 March 2005 - 03:01 PM

The queens arms is now the black sheep ! Dazza

#12 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 11:51 PM

[quote name='Dazza' date='Mar 23 2005, 12:14 PM']
Hi Joe

The only shop up the palace you may remember is the bike repair shop in central hill near the the hollybush pub. Still run by the same family my uncle tells me

Nope that one is a blank.

The police training academy is now some sort of hostel for immigrants as is the queens hotel. Bet your glad you moved away !

What is the world comming to?

Kennedys was the name of the pieshop but now sells sunglasses but it still has the kennedys frontage.

One day I must go back and have a proper look on foot - only been back once and was met with that stupid one way system that threw me well off course did not have time for scenery.

The secret entance to the parks may now be the entrance to the playing fields of sylvan/harris school which is now within the park.

Sylvan was the name of the prefab estate that I am trying to find information on - many searches of the web have drawn a blank.

Where did you move too I may follow shortly is it hot ?

I got out and came to Plymouth. It was crime graffiti and drug free back in 75 now it has worse statistics than London. Never saw a foriegn face until about 1996 now every habitable place has been taken up by the council to house those that can't speak english and drugs are so cheap on the street that the dealers drive from Manchester and Liverpool because street prices are lower than wholesale prices up north. Don't start me on that topic!

Now about to get out yet again and move to France.

Are the Cypress hill schools still there ?

Joe

#13 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 08:27 AM

The Sylvan Hill prefab area is now an estate of flats/houses as estates go it was quite a nice build well it was in the late 70's early 80's but a lot can happen in a couple of decades. Sylvan school was built opposite this site in the mid 70's but only managed to keep this name until the early 90's when it closed & was re-opened as the Harris technology school & was opened by John Major & is probably one of the most sought after schools in the area.

The cypress hill schools are still there & are one of the best junior school in the area too.

Good to have an outsiders view of the triangle 1 way system a lot of people on this forum feel it is good for the area & will bring professionals to the area. However your posting just proves that it stops people from stopping in the area for a stroll around the shops that are still trading. (& you actually know the area)

Top tip next time you are stuck on the 1 way system nip into the morrison/safeway carpark which is probably the safest place 2 park in the area.

Joe you must remember the Sun Sun chinese restauarant in church rd near the Sportsman it was the CPH in your day, it opened in the 60's & has only just changed names.

Dazza

#14 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:00 PM

Thanks for the info Dazza

I did find tons of information on the Harris college when searching the net for any information about the old prefab estate I would just love to find someone who actually had some photo's of the old estate.

As for the Cypress hill schools I went forst to the one on the right going up the hill then the one on the left. (Infants then to the Juniors) The on to Ingram.

Good to have an outsiders view of the triangle 1 way system a lot of people on this forum feel it is good for the area & will bring professionals to the area. However your posting just proves that it stops people from stopping in the area for a stroll around the shops that are still trading. (& you actually know the area)

What I found worse about the one way system was the fact that from any direction trying to cross CP you now have to go all the way around so you can't turn tight when coming up from Streatham or straight across the lights when coming up from Brixton. Also the jam is so manic that you are just glad to get out of it let alone stop there.

Top tip next time you are stuck on the 1 way system nip into the morrison/safeway carpark which is probably the safest place 2 park in the area.

Ta for that tip. Plan to come up in the summer for a walk around the old haunts.

Joe you must remember the Sun Sun chinese restauarant in church rd near the Sportsman it was the CPH in your day, it opened in the 60's & has only just changed names.

I do remember the CPH Dazza but not the chinese. (I used to go to the Golden City in South Norwood and ended up living there for a time with Jimmy & Kim)

There was a camping shop that had been there for many years and a coal merchants both were past the cinema towards the Anerley hill round about.

I also remember Tesco's opening a branch almost next to Kennedys (It was always very shabby inside)

As for the Police Training college they were no angels in those days as many a brawl in the CP pubs would prove.

Is the White Swan still there? (Many good memories!)

Does any one remember MAX the parrot in the bar in the Queens Hotel ? I actually taught him to tell people to "go away" well not those actual words ;-)

Just remembered the name of what we then called the new posh houses where I used to clean Aker Bilks coach - Stambourne Way.

Names of other pubs drifting back through the haze. Hollybush - Cambridge? - White Hart or White Lion.

On cold nights as youngsters we used to have a way in to the hall at the back of St John's church. (Bottom of Sylvan Hill) We did it for years never was there any vadalism and never did we get found out.

Joe

Edited by andyb, 30 March 2005 - 08:47 AM.

#15 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 10:15 PM

Hi Joe

You obviously remember areas by Pubs

Hollybush still there was also my Nans for 40 years

Cambridge still there same deco too

Swan they have turned in to poncy bar called the blue bottle do not just alcohol if you get my drift.

White hart now a them pub Oneils

Only ever heard stories bout the Parrot in the hotel bar

Will ask mother if she has any info pics of Sylvan area but she's really more an expert on the new town area.

Dazza