• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 charlie

charlie

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:47 PM

Charlie my memory is very hazzy as I was only 11/12 at the time.
I lived at Auckland Rise - Stambourne Way and Auckland rise were the only new buildings in the area at the time.
As far as I can make out looking at google maps Acker's place was just before The Dell going up the hill.
We called it the posh area as Auckland Rise was council and Stambourne was private.
The strange thing is I have no recollection of ever actually seeing the man himself.
I think the cleaning of the coach thing started from bob a job with the scout's.

From what I understand from a neighbour who has lived there since Stambourne Way was built, it was Aker Bilk's manager that lived there rather than the man himself hence the tour bus. Charlie, that house seems to have had a very interesting history, I'll DM you the neighbour who has told us about it and I'm quite sure they would fill in any gaps for you - the Stambourne Way guru.

Great to see some memories cleared up by Redbunny ( thanks for the PM btw), and thanks too Joe - we love living in leafy South/Upper Norwood - I imagine despite the council/private divide it was a really nice place to grow up and plenty of interesting places to explore?

#32 Rikaitch

Rikaitch

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:28 PM

Re 27 Stambourne Way. My best mate moved there in about 1982, and I lived in the Dell, so I knew all about the rumours about Acker Bilk. I'd be told the man himself lived there, but I see from previous posts on here that maybe it was his manager. I also remember his Dad finding a single of "Convoy" from the film and loving it because it encapsulated the 1970s obsession with CB. There was also a large sign on a wall from a bridge (Chelsea, maybe?) where it had a toll and was subjected to 1D to cross. Sorry, but as to who actually lived there, it was before my time. It was empty for years before my best mate moved in however...

On a side note, I remember a guy across the road who had a full Jaguar E-type covered up and preserved in a garage...
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Fart, and you're on your own.

#33 FitzRoy

FitzRoy

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:51 AM

Loved Aker Bilk but i will always be a stranger on the shore to him.................................

#34 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:27 PM

Swan they have turned in to poncy bar called the blue bottle do not just alcohol if you get my drift.

Revisiting this thread - your comment made me laugh !

Both Mr. Bolan and Mr. Bowie will be glad things have not changed since they used to visit on a Friday night stocking up for the w/end!

#35 suesec

suesec

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:29 PM

I lived down the bottom of Sylvan Road (in one of the large houses on the left) the garden backed onto what was then the prefab estate.  There were also about 4-6 prefabs halfway up Sylvan Road.  I had a couple of mates who used to live there.  I moved to Auckland Rise in 1965, had some brilliant times with mates who lived on the estate and we also had friends who lived elsewhere who would play at Auckland Rise with us.  Went to a youth club at St John's Church and when older; some of the pubs that have been mentioned.  Particularly Conquering Hero near Crown Point and the good old Queens Hotel.  I had a Saturday job in a pet shop at Crystal Palace for a short while - had some really exotic animals pass through and an ape in the window who hated me and would grab at me and my hair if I stupidly walked too close.  I heard that sadly the shop was burnt out.  Had many a good school holiday at Crystal Palace Park and even helped out at the boating lake; racing a couple of lads who also helped out there up and down the lake and seeing who could tow the longest row of boats out to the night mooring - built up some muscles in the process :).  So many good memories of Norwood and the surrounding areas :)

#36 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:25 PM

A reply to a post well in the past.......   Well I never ! We moved from Sylvan estate to Auckland rise also.  I also went to the youth club at St Johns Church until I was barred. For the life of me I can't remember what the incident was. I remember all the scouts camping gear used to stored in a mezzanine above the hall in the back of the church. We had a way in at night and used to sit in the dark in the kitchen smoking etc....  Some names from Auckland Rise - Barry Hull  Malcombe (Hillier?)  Yvonne ? Margaret Rice . Derek Whatley lived Auckland road as did Steve (Alf) Ramsey.

I think I must have moved from Sylvan estate to Auckland rise in about 64/65 aged about 10 left Auckland rise aged 141/2.  I was a brilliant place top grow up. I remember the boating lake well (and the dinosaurs) Queens hotel bar had a parrot called Max.  ahhhhh memories.

#37 suesec

suesec

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:51 PM

Hi Joe yes Alf I still talk to occasionally. Barry hull - well our paths crossed again a few years back. Yvonne young and Marion Davies, a guy called Nick who had a nasty incident with some fireworks. I came across this post via 'croydon reconnected' a group of many ages all discussing and reminiscing their years in croydon :)

#38 Joe

Joe

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:29 AM

Hi Joe yes Alf I still talk to occasionally. Barry hull - well our paths crossed again a few years back. Yvonne young and Marion Davies, a guy called Nick who had a nasty incident with some fireworks. I came across this post via 'croydon reconnected' a group of many ages all discussing and reminiscing their years in croydon :)

Copy of personal message........

I am unable to send you a personal message on the forum for some reason. Please other readers excuse this open messaging.

I am going to be very rude and ask if you had very curly ginger hair as a youngster? Nick was I think Nick Palmer. Yes Yvonne's surname was Young now you remind me.

Did you go to Cypress then Westwood ?

Please excuse me sending a personal message but I thought it would be better than discussing on forum.

Does Clive Dinnadge ring any bells ?

Kind regards Joe - (Joey) 

#39 suesec

suesec

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:10 PM

Don't know why we can't PM Joey. So as you say apologies to everyone else in this thread. No ginger hair - don't know who that could be. Yes remember Clive - Carol brazzier? Susan slade now - was Burke. I used to live at no 24 which was in the block on the right as you drove into auckland rise (right by the laundrette in the square). Went to cypress infants, rockmount juniors, and then heath Clarke in waddon. Were you at ingrams? 

Regards, sue

#40 1DWPSE19

1DWPSE19

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:55 AM

To Joe and Sue: was that Yvonne Young who had sisters, Iris and Doris, and a younger brother John, if it was, until about 15 years old, when I think the family moved to Peckham, she used to live at 6 (or 8) Dulwich Wood Park. She lives in Leeds now, and can be contacted at Friends Reunited under Pupils from Paxton Primary School c:a 1955.

Regards, TC