Photo

Dulwich Wood House

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (8 votes [29.63%])

Percentage of vote: 29.63%

2. Good (12 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

3. Average (4 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

4. Poor (3 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 25 March 2005 - 10:09 PM

Please Vote in this Poll and Add a Reply if you have any comments about this Pub

Dulwich Wood House
39 Sydenham Hill
SE26 6RS

Phone: 020 8693 5666

Mon-Sat 11.00-23.00
Sun 12.00-22.30

#2 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:00 AM

Nice garden in the summer but very geared into kids and families.

#3 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 11:42 AM

They serve a decent pint in old fashioned mugs, good food and a great garden. I've managed to avoid the kids by going after 8pm! :P
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#4 matt

matt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 08:37 AM

Nice garden in the summer AND very geared into kids and families.

#5 richard moore

richard moore

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 07 January 2007 - 10:54 PM

Any body know w hat is going on in this pub? Once so great it is now dowdy poor beer quality The entrance glass has been removed and just a hole left- it looks awful

#6 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 06:36 PM

Has anybody been here lately? I am planning on going there for a beer and a bite tonight - is it OK?
aka Pie

#7 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:08 PM

omg what a transformation in the wood house...and on sunday and late on we were told there was a wait!
and it was worth it too...

Edited by philipburgoyne, 08 December 2008 - 04:10 PM.

#8 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 06:28 PM

omg what a transformation in the wood house...and on sunday and late on we were told there was a wait!
and it was worth it too...

Talk us through it then, what was so good?

#9 philipburgoyne

philipburgoyne

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:51 PM

we will try it on a week night...then report in...but as sunday lunch goes it was quick and efficient, which it never used to be and really good fare...I didnt go for a look around the rest of the place as we sat down where the restaurant used to be but it looks like they have extended up the dining are into the top bar and it was a little like the mansion of old with a lot of really happy faces lounging and eating as couples, families. They have beautiful plasma screens with views of the woods that change,...its a real experience that i was not expecting...i probably got bored with the way it was but this is the proverbial shot in the arm. I will try to get there soon...but there is a web site for the menu which has featured on a thread somewhere on here 'cause thats how we ended up there...or rather the delicious mrs b pulled it out of left field!

#10 Summit Lover

Summit Lover

• Sponsors
  • 5,019 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:19 PM

Thank you. Haven't been for years (as have moved to a different part of CP), but it sounds worth a visit if we are passing.

#11 Elmo

Elmo

All bad precedents began as justifiable measures

• Sponsors
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 12:45 PM

http://www.dulwichwoodhouse.com/
Jermaine was right... "You can't reason with stupidity"

Follow me on Twitter

#12 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:06 PM

The VN reviews are enticing, the website less so. Cringeworthy pseudo-sales patter like "Book a table in our restaurant seating 50+, with menus offering a traditional British farmhouse and rustic feel" puts me right off.

Got to declare a professional interest here, but why on earth do businesses go to all the trouble of reinventing themselves, then undermine it all by writing the marketing materials themselves? Ok, I think I know the answer to that one - cash - but if you're going for sophistication, even of the 'rustic feel' variety, you've got to get it right. Dulwich Wood House is actually my favourite local boozer and I was excited that it had had a foodie makeover. I hope it belies its marketing.

#13 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 10:40 PM

sorry nanzola the woodhouse is no longer a boozer !

To be classified as a boozer surely you need to have so much allocated bar space? I cant believe youngs have gone in this direction.

If I want good food i go to a restaurant. The woodhouse now has an identity crisis.

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#14 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:56 AM

Is it more a restaurant than pub now? That does not sound good. Anyway, I'll reserve judgement until I've paid a visit. Half the fun for me is the walk there, and the edge-of-the-woods setting - I can kid myself it's a country pub! Of course, the plasma screens with woodland views will make that illusion harder to maintain, but nothing a seasoned CPer couldn't handle.

I'm not in the trade but I understand that pubs are having to offer things like restaurant dining and kids' playgrounds etc because there just isn't enough money to be made from drinks alone - unless you go all out for the younger market, and I'm glad DWH hasn't gone that way.

#15 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 11:44 AM

A lot of the old locals of the DWH now frequent the Railway Bell !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig