Photo

Dulwich Wood House

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Poll: How Do You Rate This Pub? (27 member(s) have cast votes)

How Do You Rate This Pub?

1. Excellent (8 votes [29.63%])

Percentage of vote: 29.63%

2. Good (12 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

3. Average (4 votes [14.81%])

Percentage of vote: 14.81%

4. Poor (3 votes [11.11%])

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 03:13 PM

Ah, that would explain why it seemed quite busy when I went in summer!

#17 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 03:19 PM

a group of mine are heading to the pub for lunch on sunday and we wanted to take a stroll through the woods to get there - how long does it take and where/what road do you go from?
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#18 Nanazola

Nanazola

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 06:24 PM

Our usual route is to walk down the Parade (away from CP) and turn left down Sydenham Hill. You walk quite a long way down until you see DWH on the corner of a little road called Crescent Wood Park. The entrance to the woods is further down that road. There's a map at the entrance but after that it's not signposted, you just choose a path and do a kind of circuitous walk that brings you back to the entrance - and the pub!

Getting a bit lost is part of the fun but I'd just say don't leave it too late in the day to do your walk at this time of year, as you wouldn't want to be stumbling around the woods in the dark. Have a great time - it's a very atmospheric and Christmassy thing to do, especially with the thought of a hot toddy at the end of it!

#19 twinkle

twinkle

• Sponsors
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 09:59 PM

we had an amazing sunday dinner there.. we had other options other than just your average pub roast options - guineafowl stuffed with walnuts,stilton etc yummy.... great surroundings and great food.... take a walk from college road through the woods to sydenham hill to build up a good appetite.... :)
For all your graphic design needs please visit
www.jane-shearman-design.com

#20 Hxx

Hxx

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:16 PM

I went to the DWH on several occasions before it had it's makeover - then it was a pub that sold food. Now it has changed, the range of food has improved but I think it has lost some of the pub feel. What is left of the pub area now feels a bit like a hotel reception with some high backed chairs and small tables. It is now a gastro-pub/restaurant and I'm not sure that fits in with the local area, and as someone else already commented the regulars are now drinking elsewhere. Maybe it will get better in the summer when we can make the most of the garden space :-)

#21 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:09 PM

I had an excellent meal there a couple of months back, and I highly recommend it as a restaurant.

But I have to agree that the old Dulwich Wood House pub is gone. In fact I think its more restaurant than a Gastro Pub.
The old Dulwich Wood House was one the the best pubs in the area, it was full of character and fitted in with the area. It was a pub where you came across people with muddy boots who had been for a walk in the woods. I dont see anyone with mud on their boots being allowed to walk around this restaurant. Its a real shame, I welcome a good restaurant but not at the expense of one of our areas best pubs.

I think this is a case where the the poll should be stopped and a new thread/poll started.
The Dulwich Wood House now belongs under Restaurant Reviews.

#22 matt

matt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:52 AM

Well whatever it is, they worked wonders a couple of weekends ago, with my party of 9 including 5 children. Very welcoming, attentive service and never made us feel that taking children in was a crime, unlike the previous incarnation. Great food, reasonably priced for what it was. No, its not the old DWH, but it works for me, whereas the old DWH was out of bounds for us for the next 17 years (inside at least).

#23 Fang

Fang

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 11:28 AM

I had an excellent meal there a couple of months back, and I highly recommend it as a restaurant.

But I have to agree that the old Dulwich Wood House pub is gone. In fact I think its more restaurant than a Gastro Pub.
The old Dulwich Wood House was one the the best pubs in the area, it was full of character and fitted in with the area. It was a pub where you came across people with muddy boots who had been for a walk in the woods. I dont see anyone with mud on their boots being allowed to walk around this restaurant. Its a real shame, I welcome a good restaurant but not at the expense of one of our areas best pubs.

I think this is a case where the the poll should be stopped and a new thread/poll started.
The Dulwich Wood House now belongs under Restaurant Reviews.

Spot on. I hate the place now.Yet another plastic, corporate concoction, offering pre-prepared meals. I never thought Youngs would go the way of Greene King but I was wrong. What they have done to the DWH is on a par with the desecration of the Royal Albert over 10 years ago. The barbarians are no longer at the gates. They are in the Lounge, warming their feet in front of the fire. God help us all.

"This is what we find, this is what we find, the hope that springs eternal, springs right up your behind."

#24 juniper77

juniper77

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 12:15 PM

Couldn't agree more with the last post. What used to be a nice pub to while a few hours away in has become a soulless wannabe restaurant. We were in there a couple of weekends ago and I'm not sure we'd return. It was freezing, there was no atmosphere, and the barman was ridiculously surly for a quiet Saturday afternoon. To cap it all, they had a mere two bottles of both Waggledance and Kew in the fridge - fairly standard Young's ales - and no offers or efforts were made to replenish supplies. Oh, and despite bar menus being advertised as available all day, upon enquiry, they weren't. It all feels a bit confused and wrong. Shame.

#25 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:39 PM

Juniper spot on

Youngs should be ashemed of themselves ! Luckily for me the Bell is still a true Pub & has ample stock.
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#26 Local

Local

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:53 PM

Surely not a Young's pub with no beer? Or was that no bar?

#27 cathyh

cathyh

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 07:19 PM

went down today with a crowd of friends for sunday lunch, the kitcehn was unable to cope with, what seemed to me, a small crowd, cold and over cooked food, over a hour + for meals to appear, chaotic service, very disappointing all around, the manager did give us a discount in compensation which was fair but seeing as we had a similar experince last year I don't think we will be returning in a hurry, it is a shame for a lovely setting which should be a great sunday afternoon lunch spot

#28 Gemster

Gemster

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 05:54 PM

I discovered DWH today and had a really nice lunch in their beautiful garden today. I was really impressed and will be returning next Sunday to try out their roasts.

#29 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 12:35 AM

Had lunch there on Saturday. Food good if a bit pricey and service slow but the waiters were charming. I get the impression that they need more staff, rather than it being a case of employees not bothering. Certainly good enough for me to want to keep going back. If you are not in a huge hurry, it is to be recommended.

There did seem to be a lot of screaming toddlers though. But then I am having a migraine triple day thing, so probably over sensitive.
Rachel
My link

#30 Duke

Duke

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:04 AM

A rather poor experience at the DWH this saturday evening.

One room, directly adjacent to the eating area, was hired out for a private party, with disco. Had we been told this when we took the table, we wouldn't have stayed. There were just 2 harassed waiting staff to serve the dining room and the party - which was also having hot food. Consequently there were delays in service and in the meantime the music volume from the party went up to can't-hear-yourself-speak levels. I think someone must have complained as it was later turned down.

Our starters were lovely, but the mains were very poor with congealed sauce, cold gravy, tepid veg. The chicken was covered with congealed sauce and so was returned to the kitchen only to be brought back minus sauce - which then arrived separately 10 minutes later by which time the chicken was dry and cold.

One waitress was clearly embarrassed by everything but they were stupidly overworked which is down to management, not the waiting staff.

This pub bills itself as a high end gastropub and with mains at c.11 - 13 each, a certain level of quality should be expected which does not include congealed food, food served without sauces or a loud disco 10 feet away.

The management of the DWH should have watched the recent Michel Roux series on SERVICE!!!.