28 replies to this topic

#1 Milou

Milou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 02:12 PM

Hello,

I know I am probably about to weather the wrath of many by admitting to having a bonfire in my garden on saturday morning. To my mortification it resulted in a horrid neighbour swearing out of his window at me. Now despite his rudeness I did feel he had a point and that we were being a bit naughty having a bonfire in the day as it was quite smoky and our garden is on top of many others.

Anyways we swiftly put it out after the shouting incident, and the horrid man claimed you could only have bonfires after 6pm....does anyone know if this is true? Or what the rules are?

Y'see despite it being somewhat anti-social it is a quick and easy way of getting rid of garden waste and if we did decide to do another then I don't want to be shouted at again (though I have to say why people can't just request politely instead of swearing, shouting and threatening is beyond me, maybe being polite has gone out of fashion), but fear even if we did it after 6pm people would be narked by the smoke...

Should I just abandon the idea.... ?

#2 Mango

Mango

Forum Fruit

• Sponsors
  • 772 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 02:25 PM

Hi Milou

Yes, I'm afraid you probably should. I believe the law is that you can't have one - simple as that, although you can you a brazier to burn stuff.

I tried using one last year - got tutted at a lot - and a severe ticking off by the old folks home! - Mind you that was fair seeing that the wind had caught it and blown a whole load of smoke into their living room! oops.

and thereby lies your problem - wind - there's just no accounting for it. I thought I'd had my fire on a completely still day, but it changed. I'd be pretty pissed off if someone else's bonfire was blowing smoke in my garden/house.

and the tip isn't very far - that's what I always do now. :(
M A N G O

#3 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 02:47 PM

Here's some bonfire information

http://www.tewkesbur...m?articleid=550

Personally I find barbecues just as annoying from the smell point of view...
Rachel
My link

#4 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 03:37 PM

Ther you go disguise it as a BBQ problem sorted ! Dazza

Always save my rubbish for bonfire night !
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#5 Mango

Mango

Forum Fruit

• Sponsors
  • 772 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 04:22 PM

Another warning:

Last year developers next door burnt my garden fence and swingbench and the other neighbours shed down by lighting a bonfire. They only just managed to stop it before it reached the house. It cost nearly £1500 on my insurance, about 50 phone calls, hours of my time, lots of stress, and about £300 to me personally, because the company refused to pay and then dissappeared altogether.

Which is another (pretty good) reason why I don't think you should be lighting bonfires in a built up area. :blink:
M A N G O

#6 Guest_Bex_*

Guest_Bex_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 March 2005 - 04:35 PM

Isn't that a very extreme example of what can go wrong? :rolleyes:
There's so much noise and air pollution in our area, that I don't see why Milou can't have the odd small controlled bonfire! We don't bat an eyelid at grafitti, noisey scooters, loud music and loud and offensive gangs of kids, so why would we care about a little bonfire?! I say go for it - but maybe speak nicely to the neighbours first.
Try posting cards through the doors apologising in advance and giving some warning. I did this before using a very loud floor sander and everyone was really polite and understanding (to my face anyway!) as a result. :P

#7 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 05:21 PM

Maybe if you offer to stick their waste on your bonfire while you are at it, they may be more concilliatory :) .
Mel, Forum Moderator

#8 HeadGardener

HeadGardener

• Sponsors
  • 677 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 08:50 PM

Which borough do you live in, Milou? If in Lambeth, you could sign up to their green waste recycling scheme and then they would provide you with special bags for all your compostable garden waste and - best of all - collect it without you having to take it to the dump. Otherwise, do you have space in your garden for a compost bin?

I'm not sure about the law on bonfires, except I'm certain they're not illegal - we're allowed to have bonfires (in the winter only) on the Rosendale Road allotments and I'm sure the Dulwich Estate commissioners who own the site would not tolerate any illegality!

#9 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 08:52 PM

Despite following all the guidelines (see Croydon Council - Bonfires), someone always manages to complain to the Council. :( I've even had them turn up, but they were satisfied there was no problem. However, I now pile everything up until November 5th and have one *** of a bonfire! :P
"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#10 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 09:34 PM

I say go for it - but maybe speak nicely to the neighbours first.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't you mean everyone in the same street? Bonfires create smoke over quite a wide area! In a rural location it is reasonable to have a bonfire from time to time but if you are but in built-up area it is anti-social. Have you considered the impact on asthmatics?

European.vote - EU Referendum

#11 Guest_Bex_*

Guest_Bex_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2005 - 09:49 AM

Are we still talking about the odd little bonfire or a full scale incinerator? So not only could we be arrested for planting conifers, we could also we accused of agrivating respiratory diseases by burning a few dead leaves in the back garden? Maybe we should ban gardening altogether... :blink: :P

#12 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 10:08 AM

Maybe we should ban gardening altogether... 

It would certainly save me some money :rolleyes: .
Mel, Forum Moderator

#13 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 10:44 AM

Legally, you're obliged to remove certain weeds from your garden (and I think you are supposed to burn them!!)

:unsure:

So not only you break the law by gardening, you can break the law if you don't!

I'm glad I don't have one to worry about!

#14 Mango

Mango

Forum Fruit

• Sponsors
  • 772 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 11:53 AM

Isn't that a very extreme example of what can go wrong?  :rolleyes:
There's so much noise and air pollution in our area, that I don't see why Milou can't have the odd small controlled bonfire! We don't bat an eyelid at grafitti, noisey scooters, loud music and loud and offensive gangs of kids, so why would we care about a little bonfire?! I say go for it - but maybe speak nicely to the neighbours first.
Try posting cards through the doors apologising in advance and giving some warning. I did this before using a very loud floor sander and everyone was really polite and understanding (to my face anyway!) as a result.  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It may seem extreme, but as it actually happened I don't think it is. Also, James is right - someone on my street about 6 or 7 doors away had a bonfire last month and it was all over our house as well.

I'm not saying don't do it Milou - just to be aware and considerate which I'm sure you would be.

Edited by Crushed Mango 2, 30 March 2005 - 11:53 AM.

M A N G O

#15 Guest_Bex_*

Guest_Bex_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 March 2005 - 11:57 AM

Found this website:
http://www.gardenlaw.../bonfires.shtml

"To be a Public Nuisance, the smoke needs to affect a whole section of a community, in the sense that the public lose the enjoyment of a public park or some other public area."

So is an average city street counted as a public area? :unsure: