• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 komodo

komodo

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 03:10 PM

bonfires except for bonfire night are ant-social, the stink gets every where. I think they are banned by bye-law in Southwark, and it would be considered very rude to have one except on Nov 5th. Having your own bonfire is fun, suffering someone else's isn't. Its perfectly possible to garden without bonfires, with all the composting and garden collection schemes we should all be following. What about the hedgehogs - we had one roud here a couple of years ago, he probably got flattened but maybe he ot burnt up!

#17 Milou

Milou

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 02:36 PM

Thanks for all responses!

Ours was certainly not a large uncontrolled event but a small fire in a proper bonfire bin and everything....however it did get a bit smokey...

We do live in Lambeth and found out about the composting scheme a little late, but I will certainly be applying and using this from now on.

Bonfires, it seems, are just not worth the hassle! I would far rather have nice relationship with my neighbours and compost instead! Although by the amount of fly-tipping going on in my area, I can't say they have the same feelings.....but thats another whole rant!

#18 peanut

peanut

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 02:58 PM

recycle...recycle...recycle...
The one thing Lambeth is good at is providing recycle facilities.
My neighbour had a bonfire the other weekend when is was nice and sunny. I attempted to go out in the garden with the kids but gave up after my 10month old was enveloped in smoke. If you do light a fire why not do it on a dull day when people are not out in the gardens or have their washing hanging out...

#19 Becky2

Becky2

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 03:14 PM

...or at night when no-one is looking.... :ph34r:

#20 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 03:18 PM

...or at night when no-one is looking.... :ph34r:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think hiding a fire in the dark works that well . . .
;)

#21 croesus

croesus

• Sponsors
  • 234 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 10:47 AM

Just to add another website:

Neighbours from *** : Bonfire Nuisance

From the page:

Bonfires may constitute a "Statutory Nuisance" under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 (a statutory nuisance includes "smoke, fumes or gases emitted from premises so as to be prejudicial to health or a nuisance"), if the annoyance -

(a.) interferes unreasonably with the quiet enjoyment of your property, and

(b.) is frequent (in how often they are lit and for the length of time they are lit)

Personally I'm with the compost brigade. We're just too densely packed for smokey bonfires not to adversely affect someone.

Edited by croesus, 01 April 2005 - 10:47 AM.

#22 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 04:59 PM

Not sure if this is the correct subject area but what are the rules on bonfires this year ?

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#23 matt

matt

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 05:46 PM

Refineries are allowed again this year.

#24 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 06:51 PM

Always save my rubbish for bonfire night !

Dazza, do you have much to get rid of this year?

Will I be able to see it from my upstairs window ;)

European.vote - EU Referendum

#25 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 02:30 PM

Ha Ha always nice to be re quoted ! However not to much this year due to Croydon having a green refuse collection service.

However will have a little fire as still a kid at heart & feel the need to get my poking stick out !

Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#26 leep

leep

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 11:44 AM

Im new to the area - and just wondered if there is anywhere locally has a little bonfire gathering?

Thought it could be a good way to get to meet some people in the area, and i dont have a garden to have my own one : (
Local web / print design collaboration
web: www.subversedesign.co.uk
e-mail: thestudio@subversedesign.co.uk

#27 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 12:03 PM

There's a display in CP Park at 7:30 on Monday night, though that may be too big for what you had in mind.

I'm not sure whether we can but perhaps other VNers are going and could meet up.

#28 leep

leep

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 01:01 PM

Yeah i was planing on goin to the park, but I really enjoyed joing to little bonfire nights.
Local web / print design collaboration
web: www.subversedesign.co.uk
e-mail: thestudio@subversedesign.co.uk

#29 Darren

Darren

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 06:27 PM

Leep, You could try bribing Dazza for guest tickets to his fire with Marshmallows, but word of warning, make sure your poking stick is not bigger than his. Never a good idea to out do the host. :P