• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 fluffyloveheart

fluffyloveheart

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:24 PM

I live in a maisonette which has a garden with a crab apple tree in it. My new neighbours (top flat, next door, no garden)have attatched a washing line from their kitchen door to my tree; casting a huge shadow across my garden. They refuse to take it down.
To be honest the tree is a pain anyway, what are the rules on me chopping it down?
Fluffyloveheart

#2 HeadGardener

HeadGardener

• Sponsors
  • 677 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:58 PM

Incredible!

I think the law on felling trees is that if it's your tree, you're free to chop it down except where the tree has a Tree Preservation Order on it and/or you're in a conservation area. I'm no lawyer, but this gives more information: http://www.bbc.co.uk...aw/index2.shtml.

If you do chop down the tree, you may need to consider whether to leave the roots where they are or have them dug out too. This is all to do with shrinkage/subsidence as the roots wither away - a question more for a surveyor or tree surgeon than an amateur gardener. Of course, if I'm to live up to my name, I should suggest that you plant another tree to replace it - maybe on the other side of the garden where it can't be hijacked for laundry support duties!

#3 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 08:40 AM

Yes, I second what HG said. You need to check that there isn't a preservation order and my GF always tells her clients to consult with a tree surgeon. She, herself, would rarely tackle a tree as it can create horrible problems if done wrong.

#4 Mango

Mango

Forum Fruit

• Sponsors
  • 772 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 08:53 AM

I'd chop the washing line down if I was you - it's on your property - I'd say you have every right. You could pretend it was an 'accident'!
M A N G O

#5 peanut

peanut

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 09:21 AM

Couple of ideas

* Hang a large sheet over it giving yourself a lovely outdoor gazebo/marquee

* coat the washing line in sugar encouraging ants to go up the line into their kitchen

* coat the washing line with oil and say the tree produces some kind of strange sap which must be ruining their washing

* Buy some stilts and says the line is a danger to yourself at that height

or just take it down..... out of interest did they have to go into your garden to tie it on?

#6 Steve Palmer

Steve Palmer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 02:29 PM

If you own the garden, and the washing line is strung across it, that is trespass.
It would be quite lawful for you to take the washing line down and offer it back to your neighbour, so long as you don't actually damage or deprive them of anything they own.

Presumably to put it back up they must trespass again, so write to them and politely point out that coming into your garden, or over it at any height, is trespass. If they keep putting it up, keep taking it down. It probably isn't worth going to court for an injunction since that costs a few bob.

#7 Retired_Member_2

Retired_Member_2

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 04 April 2005 - 02:49 PM

You could always start a bonfire :D

#8 fluffyloveheart

fluffyloveheart

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 06 April 2005 - 07:35 PM

in response to some of your questions, I don't know if they went into my garden to put it up, it just appeared one day! If not mine, they must have gone into the neighbours garden.
Peanut, loving your work! My friend suggested a waterpistol full of muddy water in the middle of the night!
I will definately get a proper tree surgeon to rid me of my growth. I think perhaps if the council ever call me back I will check with them before any chopping!
Fluffyloveheart