Crystal Palace Digital TV and Sky Reception

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#16 loplop

loplop

• Sponsors
  • 687 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 02:40 PM

Our analogue reception is atrocious, either due to poor (communal) aerial direction or quality, or because we live in a kind of bowl under the transmitter and the signal fires right over our block ?
Although i have digital reception through freeview, even at full strength it seems a bit lacking to me, regardless of the fact i probably prefer analogue picture through a decent aerial than digital.

And Borgus, i think the contrast on your avatar photo is a little high ?

Edited by loplop, 02 November 2005 - 02:41 PM.

a carrot is as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond

blow

#17 Steve Palmer

Steve Palmer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 09:05 PM

Interesting that someone understands this stuff.

I use telewest and was thinking of dumping it and getting a motorised sattelite dish. Essentially I'd like to be able to get a decent Chinese channel and there are quite a few free to air ones.

However, when I called a firm who did this sort of stuff they might just as well ahve been talking Chinese....which the wife speaks, not me.

Anyone capable of explaining this stuff in plain English and telling me what I need if I explain what I want to get?

#18 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 15 November 2005 - 09:51 PM

It might be worth exploring these links... http://www.mb21.co.uk/links/tv.asp

and this one... http://markets.ses-a...ts_28point2.htm

and if you are going to get a big dish you could get satellite broadband...
http://www.avcbroadb...and/faq_9.shtml

European.vote - EU Referendum

#19 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 16 November 2005 - 05:14 PM

I've been thinking about getting TV via satellite myself, but have decided to leave it until the BBC/ITV have finalised their Freesat service. It will be the Freeview service via satellite, offering a better picture. Sky offer a Freesat service but it shouldnt be confused with the upcoming BBC/ITV Freesat service. It appears the BBC owns the trademark, but sky keep using it for some reason

The Digital Spy website is my first stop for anything to do with tv.
Look at the sattelite forums
http://forum.digital...isplay.php?f=14
and especially the satallite FAQ
http://forum.digital...ad.php?t=278712

When I started to search for information on "Freesat" I came across this company. Might be worth having a look.
http://www.topsat.tv/

Edited by Axean, 16 November 2005 - 05:15 PM.

#20 Steve Palmer

Steve Palmer

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 19 November 2005 - 12:52 AM

Thanks Axean, I have seen the last of those links before but the others are new to me.

#21 determinedmoth

determinedmoth

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 04:34 PM

Anyone here live on Gipsy Hill and get Freeview without a roof-top arial? The BBC site says I wont be able to get it, but I dont want really want to believe that.

Edited by James, 12 January 2006 - 06:08 PM.

#22 rachel

rachel

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 04:45 PM

Friends of ours lived in Highlands Court, you know, the mansion block by the church in the middle of GH?

Anyway, they had Freeview without an outdoor aerial, but they needed to buy a "stronger" indoor aerial (pregnancy brain means I really can't remember what it's called!), but with the new aerial they had a great picture.

#23 Fang

Fang

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 04:52 PM

Yes, it is possible to get digital reception with an indoor arial. Some friends in Cintra Park have a coat hanger thingy on their TV and they are happy with their Freeview reception as are some friends in Westow St and Hermitage Rd. Roof topariel are the best option though. For those who have problems with analogue reception, try fitting an "attenuator" (I think that's the word). This reduces the signal strength which can be a problem in certain parts of this area.

"This is what we find, this is what we find, the hope that springs eternal, springs right up your behind."

#24 weeble

weeble

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 05:06 PM

I used to, and we used to get reception without too much bother - a bit wobbly every so often, but generally OK

#25 Knights Hiller

Knights Hiller

• Sponsors
  • 223 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 01:13 PM

I've recently moved into a house which used to have, at some stage, both NTL and Sky. Unfortunately neither of these leads are the right connector type to fit into the back of my TV. Does anyone have any ideas as my Freeview is a little jumpy!

#26 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 01:37 PM

I have the same problem in my house. Previous owner had NTL so we don't have a normal aerial socket or aerial. I don't bother with an aerial and so have the occasional jumpiness on Freeview that you have. I must get round to sorting it out though as it is irritating. I guess the only way to resolve it is to get an engineer to come and fit a normal socket and stick an aerial on the roof.
Mel, Forum Moderator

#27 gartom

gartom

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 04:42 PM

I'm in the triangle just off Westow Hill, with a bottom of the range digibox and a not much better than coat hanger aerial get really good reception.

Only problem is when the pizza delivery guys start buzzing up and down at 7.30/8.00 ish when there's a bit of interference.

#28 Michael

Michael

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 11:37 PM

We are around the middle of Church Road, on the south side of the hill, and we generally get good reception but occasionally it goes a bit pear-shaped.

Pear-shaped usually involves long periods of interference in which you struggle to watch anything. The picture breaks up and the sound goes on and off. We haven't noticed any particular pattern in when it does this but it can be annoying when there's something decent on TV.

Cheers

#29 Nick

Nick

Wondering.... always wondering

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 08 April 2006 - 10:57 AM

And when you consider the power output of Crystal Palace is 1000kW, the highest in the UK, nearest rival a paltry 10kW (Reigate, Guildford, Hemel Hempstead) you'd be bonkers not to consider it may be a factor.

http://www.ukfree.tv....php?d=TQ339712

According to this page the digital signal is "only" 20kw so as to avoid interference with analogue signals. I am having some challenges getting it to work with an EyeTV and am off to Maplin to get some advice and spend some money (no doubt). Will report back on what I am told...

Nick
Nick, Forum Moderator

#30 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:35 AM

The BBC are about to start a high defintion trial from the Crystal Palace Tranmitter. ITV, Ch4 and Five will be part of the trial. If you have a telly that is capable of recieving the signal, you can click on the link below, and if your lucky you will recieve a set-top box that allows you to be part of the trial.
Click here to goto the trial website

Some of you may have a "device" such as Nick's eyetv, that allows you use your computer to access digital terrestrial tv. These will probably allow you to access the HD signal. Keep reading the digital spy forums to check.
http://forum.digital...isplay.php?f=13

For those without a HD tv, the good news is, since content is filmed for HDTV, those of us accessing standard quality will see a marked increase in quality. BBC's Planet Earth was filmed in HDTV, and the increase in quality was apparent when watching through standard definition. The improvment was so good, it means I wont bother paying for HDTV.

Edited by Axean, 09 April 2006 - 11:38 AM.