Crystal Palace Digital TV and Sky Reception

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#31 loplop

loplop

• Sponsors
  • 687 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 06:59 PM

I believe the trials will include World Cup football and Wimbledon tennis.
As to earlier query in this thread about freeview with an indoor aerial, in our bedroom we can pick it up superbly without one, ie. no aerial whatsoever !
Analogue is very very poor, with either an indoor aerial or roof-top aerial, which is a shame as i miss analogue reception....much better than digital when it comes to more abstract details, such as backgrounds.
a carrot is as close as a rabbit gets to a diamond

blow

#32 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 03:21 PM

Receiving Freeview via a set-top box and an external medium gain digital aerial is still proving to be a problem. Whilst we can receive most channels without problem, any on Mux 2 (itv1, Channel 4, ITV2, itv3, More4, E4, itv4) cannot be picked up at all.

The aerial is a mile away from the transmitter and has a direct line of site. All the equipment seems fine and there is no obvious source of interferrence. Everything has even been tested in the garden without sucess.

Taking everything to another location, to the south-west of the transmitter at Spa Hill, and no problems at all. All channels received fine!

I've heard various anecdotes from neighbours about similar digital reception problems, but it is hard to pin down exact details. I would be interested to know if anyone, located on a broad line from Crystal Palace transmtter to St. Joseph's College, Beulah Hill,, has had any similar problems.
"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#33 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 03:32 PM

You could try getting a signal bounce from a different direction. From what I've heard the broadcast beam is focused to radiate horizontally with a slight lop-sidedness to it. It could be the strong signal going overhead will bounce off a nearby tall building and be reflected back towards you, lower to the ground.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#34 wmp

wmp

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 03:35 PM

We live at the Convent Hill end of Ryefield Road, & have free view boxes, but no external aerial.

We can pick up all channels upstairs with an internal aerial, but those on Mux 2 downstairs come up as "bad signal"... We can see the Crystal Palace transmitter from the upstairs (directly above the non-receiving equipment) [unless the leaves are on the venerable oaks along the road], & can also see the Spa Hill transmitter from the other room upstairs where the other box & aerial are.

Not certain if this helps at all, but we are not far off the line from CP transmitter / St Joseph's College Beulah Hill. :)

wmp

#35 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 05:32 PM

You could try asking the question at another site where more people with an understanding of freewview can be found
http://www.digitalsp...isplay.php?f=13

#36 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 03:21 PM

James: Have tried various directions for the aerial without success in the past.

wmp: Beginning to suspect there is some sort of localised problem. Perhaps the Upper Norwood Triangle has been twinned with the Bermuda Triangle? :blink:

Axean: Have tried a number of digital sites previously. Unless there is a known problem with equipment, there seems little to offer on specific local problems.

ITV says that there is no problem as the signal is being transmitted at the correct current strength and that is the end of the matter for them. If I can get more of an idea that there is a problem with Mux 2 over a specific area, then will try to get Ofcom to investigate.
"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#37 wmp

wmp

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:36 PM

I knew I'd moved to the land that time forgot when I realised we had an over-ground BT connection & lovely telegraph pole outside... :P

I am going to try another freeview box & internal aerial in the room directly above the non-receiving equipment this w/e & will be able to report on how localised our problem is... dear me, how many bits of equipment must we have to make sure we get maximum viewing choice in just about every room with a tv in our house (you can tell by this I'm a reader of books, & can't quite understand my partner's obsession with the visual medium... On the other hand, I'd be miffed if none of my tvs received all the channels they should.)

wmp

#38 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 06:41 PM

A Sky engineer had just told us that our roof is the wrong shape to accommodate a dish. We did want it hidden under the eaves of the house but there is a tree in the way for the dish to be lower down. So thoughts have turned to Virgin Media. We don't need phone or broadband from them. A postcode search of Virgin Media's website suggests we're not covered for cable and that they will provide "Virgin Free TV" which seems to be the same as Freeview. Our normal TV and our Freeview box reception are appalling - presume too close to the transmitters as we live just off Westow Street but willing to be corrected if anyone has any experience of this. Also interested to hear your views on Virgin Media and whether the cabling problem is incorrect as the Sky engineer pointed out a cable manhole over the road (incidentally, though a Sky engineer, when I said "Right, thanks, Virgin it is then" he said "Do it! Virgin's the business..."). Anyway, any pointers gratefully received.

#39 King of the Hill

King of the Hill

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 09:56 AM

I have noticed the Cable Covers in the Mid-Triangle, but was told that we didn't have "access to it". Opted for Sky in the end but have a bracket to take the dish out and over the eaves. My Freeview box is a little tempermental but with a small aerial I've found the reception is good.

#40 SimonC

SimonC

• Members 1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 11:22 AM

In our old house on Sydenham Hill, the signal was too strong. However we cured the problem by putting a signal reducer onto each television.

These only cost a couple of pounds and fit between the TV or Video aeriel input and the aeriel lead.

In our current house we are not allowed to put up an external ariel or dish so we put the aeriel in the roof space. Although Freeview say you should not do this, the signal is so strong around here that it works fine for us. The aeriel engineer that fitted our aeriel said that this had the effect of reducing the signal by about 30%.

As a side issue I believe that Channel 5 is transmitted from the South Norwood Hill transmitter. This means that the reception is poor because when you are as close as we are, pointing at the main transmitter means that you are pointing away from the other one. As all Freeview channels come from the main transmitter the problem with Channel 5 is cured.

#41 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 12:15 PM

There's been a discussion about freeview reception in this thread.
http://www.virtualno...?showtopic=1684

We all should be able to get freeview. The problems are either strength of signal or interference by something close to the freeview box or aerial lead. I use a cheap aerial bought from Argos sitting on a cardboard box in the loft. It works fine helped by the signal power being reduced by the roof.

#42 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 30 June 2007 - 04:07 PM

We have just signed up with Virgin Media and have the whole shebang (TV/phone/broadband). We can watch all the on demand programming and have the ability to record onto the V+ box and pause live TV - it's fantastic stuff. We went with them over Sky purely because the previous owners had NTL and so we already had a socket. I would say though that the customer service sucks a bit. Not that the people are unfriendly because they aren't - in fact just the opposite. However, getting them to action a request can be a nightmare. It took me several calls to get get them to sign me up for the correct package and then to send me a V+ remote. I'm hoping this is just a hangover from the NTL days and that the problems will be ironed out over time!
Mel, Forum Moderator

#43 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 07:56 PM

Thanks for all the thoughts. After I posted Friday, Sky rang about 9pm and said they'd be damned if they'd lose the job and sent two engineers round yesterday morning. Those two said it was fine and today they came back and fitted the lot. So far we are without problems. I cannot fault, and have to praise, Sky customer service. Amazing. The local supervisor said they would sack the engineer who recommended Virgin but I said not to because I think we do have a "too close to the 'mitters" problem on the hill and he genuinely believed it was impossible with a tree in our way. Anyway, it wasn't in the way in the end and all's well. So grateful to you lot. When's the next social?

#44 funstuie

funstuie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 12:17 PM

Just a tip if you go to http://www.samknows....nd/checker2.php

and put in your post code (or phone number) it will tell what is available on your local exchange.

For example the house we are moving to is on Stambourne way and this is what I get:

Congratulations, you are in a broadband enabled area.

The following services are available in your location:

BT Wholesale ADSL
BT Wholesale ADSL Max
BT Wholesale SDSL
AOL LLU
Be LLU
Bulldog LLU
TalkTalk (CPW) LLU
Sky Broadband / Easynet LLU
Homechoice LLU
Tiscali LLU
Orange LLU (Formerly Wanadoo)
Virgin Media (cable)

So Virgin is available. I will going with BE when I move for internet and hopefully the freeview will be OK for TV.

#45 tealight rookie

tealight rookie

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:18 PM

Hello again everyone! Happy New Year! :D

Apologies if this has already been covered elsewhere, but I'm going out of my mind.

What, oh what, can I do to sort out the TV signal problems that seem to go hand in hand with living in Crystal Palace? Generally the BBC end is fine, but C4/More4/E4/ITV are a nightmare!

I'm dearly hoping that one of you long term residents will know some cure-all or other that can be applied to this frankly irritating situation. I'm missing the new series of ER (and a few other great things besides)!

Thanks!

Edited by tealight rookie, 07 February 2008 - 10:19 PM.