58 replies to this topic

#46 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:10 PM

Would I be right in assuming:

A.) You are talking about digital reception.

B.) You live to the west of the transmitter i.e. on a line between the transmitter and Crown Point.

C.) You can cook an egg on the strength of the signal on BBC.

There is a thread (http://www.virtualno.......&hl=digital) ongoing.

Still cannot get ITV/C4 at all with digital, despite changing antenna, cable and digibox. :(
"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#47 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:28 PM

Insurmountable, tealight rookie - we ended up having to get Sky :angry: .

#48 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 11:01 AM

Just to add my bit. I got offered free Sky Plus for a year (I have a friend in Sky News), but was cruelly let down when the dish man said he couldn't get any reception because there were too many trees about.

I tried to point out that the satellites were in Space, rather than hiding behind the trees, but no joy . . . :(

#49 andirella

andirella

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:17 PM

My mum lives in Sydenham and fairly recently bought a tv with freeview, unfortunately she can't get the previously mentioned channels either .After phoning Wharfedale (the makers of her tv) she was told that the signal strength from Crystal Palace was as weak as it could get and the only way to sort this out would be to buy a signal booster. Mum hasn't done this yet so I don't know whether this would actually do the trick. If Mum decides she can't live without E4 etc and gets a signal booster I will let you know if this works.

#50 Borgus

Borgus

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 12:57 PM

Signal booster didn't work either! :angry:
"It does not require many words to speak the truth." - Chief Joseph

#51 Rockchick

Rockchick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 02:10 PM

Quite recently I asked a TV ariel man round to install an ariel in the roof for me and he couldnt obtain a good enough signal on many of the digital channels despite living within spitting distance of the crystal palace mast. I was told this area is notorious for signal problems. He advised me to buy an indoor ariel!!!!!!! So, we run our fantastic Sony flat screen from the cheapest indoor area (cost approx 9 from John Lewis) with extremely good results. A bit of a joke really!!!!!!!! Occassionally we have a little break up and the weather can sometimes affect the signal. But we can watch ER each week with no probs. The Sony salesman in JL was gobsmacked when he heard of my sorry tale re the signal and ariel probs especially when I said I lived in CP!!!!!!!

If anybody has the same problem and is thinking of buying an indoor ariel to try....... the amplified ariels dont work, get an ordinary non amplified cheap one......

#52 Spoon

Spoon

Paolo Di Catio's mum

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 02:32 PM

I think there is another thread a bit like this but after three Sky dish men failed to get a signal in a convenient place to hang the dish, I rang to cancel the order. The (Sky) area manager then called me and said he was damned if he was letting this sale go and could he come the next day and try himself? He did it in 20 minutes, no fuss and we have a massive fir tree blocking us from the Croydon side, which is apparently the direction the signal was picking up. So don't take one (outsourced) fitter's word for it if you do want Sky. Though that indoor aerial thing above sounds a trooper.

(This is that thread. Doh!)

Edited by Spoon, 08 February 2008 - 02:34 PM.

#53 new_boy_in_town

new_boy_in_town

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:03 PM

We're not cabled, and SKY only works when there are no leaves on the trees(!)

We've recently had Tiscali TV installed (we had Freeview but Tiscali works out cheaper ... read on).

Tiscali TV is what some of you might know as Homechoice ... with some ad-ons.

We were paying 20 a month internet access, plus the standard BT line rental (so about 31 a month all in).

Now, for 26.99 a month (20 for the first two months) with Tiscali we get 8MB wireless broadband (unlimited), free weekend and international calls, no BT rental, a free router and TV box.

There is a 30 connection fee and I did upgrade (cost 50) to get a 160GB hard drive recorder which allows me to record 2 sides at once (and watch a 3rd if we ever wanted to). IT has series record on it and a programme guide, just like SKY.

We now have

* Over 60 digital TV and radio channels.
* Over 350 on demand programmes to watch.
* access to on demand movies (which I'll never use)
* Free 7 day catch up service on popular BBC, Channel 4 and FX programmes.

And it's about 5 a month cheaper.

The box is a little noisy but it's clever. We are having a few hickups with stuttering pictures (but we did with Freeview, Cable & Wirless (now Virgin) and Sky when we had those too). I think I need to call customer services and ask them to check my line, but just haven't got round to it yet.

So not perfect, but good value ... worth considering though.

Details:

http://www.tiscali.c...srccode=COD_588

... forgot to add, that it comes down you BT line.

#54 ToodlePip

ToodlePip

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 04:42 PM

Just wanted to add a tip in case it helps anyone.

We live on belvedere Road, near the bottom end. Arial on the roof is generally ok, but on the first floor for some reason there isn't an arial plug, and of course that's the room our TV is in. I have a standalone arial with inbuilt booster. After messing around with it in different configurations, I found this worked best: (can get all channels, mostly without regular interference)

- under the window
- arial "sticks" fully retracted
- booster turned on but set to absolute minimum.

Go figure why/how that works, but it does. I discovered this on the last attempt as I was about to fling the whole lot out the window.

#55 Woodvale

Woodvale

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 10:39 PM

I wonder if all these problems are the result of the signal being too strong. I've lived in Streatham Hill, Upper Norwood and South Norwood for a number of years, always with direct line of sight to the transmitters and the biggest problem has been ghosting, leading to multiple reflections or difficulty getting a decent signal at all on one or more channels. Solution, rather than boosting, is to fit a 12-18dB attenuator or more until the ghosting disappears, and I have always found that the main signal can then be detected by the receiver and I get a good picture. These attenuators are available from places like Maplins and I've fitted them to all of the TVs in the house.

Toodlepip's discovery is certainly suggestive of success being achieved from minimising the signal received.

#56 ToodlePip

ToodlePip

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 02:06 PM

It does suggest you might be right. Just to add to the confusion, if the booster is turned off completely I get no picture at all. I actually get a better picture with no arial plugged in the TV than with the switched off booster, or fully turned-on booster.

Edited by ToodlePip, 12 February 2008 - 02:06 PM.

#57 Rockchick

Rockchick

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 01:05 PM

Live in Fox Hill.......... and as I mentioned...... I have tried all the amplified ariels with booster turned on and off and the best ariel was the basic non amplified ariel, the cheapest possible. We receive all the digital channels no problem.

#58 candc

candc

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 15 February 2008 - 02:48 PM

I had terrible trouble when we decided to upgrade from a freeview box set to a tv with freeview installed already. Couldn't get new tv to work though the separate freeview box had worked ok with the aerial. Ended up sending tv back to the shop twice! Then got out an aerial person who installed some kind of internal booster to the 'all walking and talking' new TV. I was told that apparently the freeview bit inside the new TVs are not as good as the separate boxes on their own (they're smaller inside the TV). This combined with the uniqueness of CP (I can't get channel 5 on the analogue TV due not been situated in the right direction for the transmitters), means that a simple thing like upgrading the TV ends up being a palaver.....

#59 syenite01

syenite01

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 01:35 PM

"Now, for 26.99 a month (20 for the first two months) with Tiscali we get 8MB wireless broadband (unlimited), free weekend and international calls, no BT rental, a free router and TV box. "

New Boy in Town, I've also been looking at the tiscali package. I called them but couldnt get too much sense out of them.

You said that it all comes down the BT line. But you've also said that there is no BT rental. I read this s saying that you need to be with BT to set it up, but once you go with tiscali, they switch you and you no longer need the line rental. Is this correct?

thanks
syenite