354 replies to this topic

#1 Rosehip

Rosehip

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 09:14 AM

Not sure where this topic should sit.

We have heard a woodpecker for a few weeks (short drum roll sound) but this morning saw it in the garden. Fantastic! Black and white, with a flash of red around the legs. My bird book tells me it is the Great Spotted, which is the commenest in the UK. Any other viewings?

#2 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 09:16 AM

Wow. How exciting! The most exotic thing we have had in our garden are long-tailed tits. We did have a hummingbird mothy thing last year as well. (My husband still swears it was a hummingbird!)
Rachel
My link

#3 andyb

andyb

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 09:23 AM

We get loads of birds round our flats as we're quite secluded. The dawn chorus is deafening.

Haven't a clue what any of them are though. Most look like LBJs.

(Little Brown Jobs)

#4 Dazza

Dazza

Council Boy

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,327 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 09:26 AM

I can confirm this as I live in Orleans Rd opposite the Old Church it actually nests in the grounds & it makes a noise worse than a bilding site. Felt like shooting it the other morning. Dazza
Your obviously mistaken me with someone who gives a fig

#5 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 09:29 AM

We too hear lots of birds around and are trying to attract more to the garden with the temptation of various bird seeds.

We get a few small birds coming to visit, but we also get our fair share of pigeons who keep using our patio as a toilet. Any tips on how to discourage the vermin whilst still attracting the other birds?
Mel, Forum Moderator

#6 James

James

• Sponsors
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 09:35 AM

Have a look at Records of Bird Sightings in Upper Norwood by Nigel G Harris or London's Daily Bird Sightings for more information.

European.vote - EU Referendum

#7 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 09:52 AM

Try fat balls, Gekko! Sparrows and blue tits love them.
Rachel
My link

#8 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 09:57 AM

Yep, already have fat balls which go down very well. Sadly, squirrels have a penchant for them as well :rolleyes: . Where we used to live we actually watched a squirrel wrestle a fat ball out of the netting and scurry away with the whole thing!
Mel, Forum Moderator

#9 RachelF

RachelF

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 10:08 AM

I put mine in a metal cage thing, which seems to be squirrel proof.. although we do seem to get through an awful lot of them.

I also found a tiny brown mouse sitting on top of them one day. It was roughly the same size and colour as a fat ball, which confused me somewhat momentarily!
Rachel
My link

#10 wmp

wmp

• Members 2
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 10:52 AM

I used pepper dust on fat balls to deter squirrels. Made me & the cat sneeze while doing it, but you should have seen the squirrels spit. :) Trouble is the rain washed it away so it was rather labour-intensive, although it seemed to work! Can't say it'll help deter pigeons, though...

#11 gekko

gekko

Sponsor

• Sponsors
  • 4,570 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 11:12 AM

Damned pigeons - I hate the things :angry: .
Mel, Forum Moderator

#12 Axean

Axean

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 11:18 AM

I saw a Woodpecker (the same type) twice last summer in the Crystal Palace Park. Once at the top near the Mast, and the other time near lakes at the bottome of the park.

I wondering if its the same one and its decided to move to get away from the noise those green parakeets make. When I first saw these "Parrots" I couldnt believe what I was seeing, but the loud high pitched screaching I hear nearly everyday, beginning to wind me up. They still look stunning though.

Edited by Axean, 13 April 2005 - 11:19 AM.

#13 clementine

clementine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 12:12 PM

I saw a green woodpecker in my garden a few weeks ago. Occasionally see a pair of jays, which are beautiful. I get quite a few birds in the garden (at the Tulse Hill end of West Norwood) but if I put any food out for them the squirrels eat the lot. ...will have to try the pepper tip.

#14 Laura

Laura

• Members 3
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 12:38 PM

Yes I get the woodpecker in my garden & I've also seen the green one in a friend's garden in the area, both near Norwood lakes.

Edited by Laura, 13 April 2005 - 12:39 PM.

#15 Sylvester

Sylvester

• Sponsors
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 13 April 2005 - 12:56 PM

My garden backs onto Beulieu Heights park and we hear the woodpecker (no idea what kind) most days. I have never managed to see one though despite having binoculars next to the window.

I put my fat balls into one of those cylindrical wire cages intended for peanuts so far the local squirrels haven't got into it. The fat wood pigeons hang around below so when the tits peck away they catch the droppings!
aka Pie